Raised This Month: $12 Target: $400
 3% 

[CSGO] Is usage more effected by slot or server count?

Post New Thread Reply   

ghostofmybrain
Veteran Member
Old 03-14-2019 , 21:34   [CSGO] Is usage more effected by slot or server count?
Reply With Quote #1

For example, do two 5-slot servers use appreciably more resources than a single 10 slot server? What about 10 2-slot servers vs a 20 slot server?
sneaK
SourceMod Moderator
Old 03-15-2019 , 12:49   Re: [CSGO] Is usage more effected by slot or server count?
Reply With Quote #2

In my experience, a single higher slot server filled to capacity would objectively use more CPU than 2 filled servers with half the slot count.
Old 03-15-2019 , 13:46   Re: [CSGO] Is usage more effected by slot or server count?
Reply With Quote #3

so they say "one server per core", but that's assuming a 16-20 slot server. So do you think I could reasonably run more than 8-10 two-slot servers on a single core?
sneaK
SourceMod Moderator
Old 03-15-2019 , 16:05   Re: [CSGO] Is usage more effected by slot or server count?
Reply With Quote #4

Depends on your core speed, but if it's good that's a safe assumption.
Old 03-15-2019 , 16:13   Re: [CSGO] Is usage more effected by slot or server count?
Reply With Quote #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaK View Post
Depends on your core speed, but if it's good that's a safe assumption.
Well I'm just thinking about basically on the same core. Like right now I have a 16 shot serve that runs great, so I could expect to put 8+ two-slot servers on the same core instead.
Lubricant Jam
AlliedModders Donor
Old 03-19-2019 , 06:04   Re: [CSGO] Is usage more effected by slot or server count?
Reply With Quote #6

You've also got to note that typically srcds gets automatically bounced from core to core dependent on its usage unless you bind it to a dedicated core.

My server is an 8 core machine turbo'd to 5Ghz and I have around 15 servers all ranging from 40 slots to 10 slots and runs happily when theoretically I should be only be able to run 8 according to this theory.

Don't assign servers cores, let the OS do its work managing this and only testing will tell how stable your server can be.
Old 03-19-2019 , 06:54   Re: [CSGO] Is usage more effected by slot or server count?
Reply With Quote #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubricant Jam View Post
You've also got to note that typically srcds gets automatically bounced from core to core dependent on its usage unless you bind it to a dedicated core.

My server is an 8 core machine turbo'd to 5Ghz and I have around 15 servers all ranging from 40 slots to 10 slots and runs happily when theoretically I should be only be able to run 8 according to this theory.

Don't assign servers cores, let the OS do its work managing this and only testing will tell how stable your server can be.
From previously not binding cores I had issues with lag/rubber banding when its switching core.

Lubricant Jam
AlliedModders Donor
Old 03-19-2019 , 20:29   Re: [CSGO] Is usage more effected by slot or server count?
Reply With Quote #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolvez04 View Post
From previously not binding cores I had issues with lag/rubber banding when its switching core.
Never had such issue, which OS and distro?

Linux, Ubuntu 16.04 has never faulted me.
Old 03-20-2019 , 03:48   Re: [CSGO] Is usage more effected by slot or server count?
Reply With Quote #9

Dude i use Pentium G4560 with 8GB ram and intel 545s ssd + gt710 (simply not to use my ram for vram)

I run 7 servers with 24 slots, never had lag, i use Ubuntu Server 18.04LTS and systemctl services to run my servers on startup, tho for some reason i need ed to use raspberrrypi3 for fast dl, since that apache2 server causes lag
ghostofmybrain
Veteran Member
Old 03-20-2019 , 17:14   Re: [CSGO] Is usage more effected by slot or server count?
Reply With Quote #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by pequla View Post
Dude i use Pentium G4560 with 8GB ram and intel 545s ssd + gt710 (simply not to use my ram for vram)

I run 7 servers with 24 slots, never had lag, i use Ubuntu Server 18.04LTS and systemctl services to run my servers on startup, tho for some reason i need ed to use raspberrrypi3 for fast dl, since that apache2 server causes lag
What? Is this somehow related to the conversation?