Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

The Hunted Mod v1.2.1 (8/12/08)

Post New Thread Reply   

msleeper
Veteran Member
Old 07-28-2008 , 19:19   Re: The Hunted Mod v1.1.1 (7/15/08)
Reply With Quote #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jérémie View Post
- the biggest issue, while we don't have specialized map, is that the übercharge Hunted can capture. Way too easy this way, maybe you could check that?
I am looking into this problem right now. The problem is a little misleading - the Hunted (and his Medic) are not able to cap the point while they are Ubered, since TF2 does not allow you to do this. However, it does allow other Bodyguards to assist in the capping like normal, which is what is causing the problem. As I said, I am in the process of finding a solution to this.

Quote:
- There's no team switching. Attackers stay in attack, defenders stay in defense.
Are you referring to the vip_hunted map? If so, then that is the intention. Teams will not switch automatically. People have requested a "sm_hunted_teamswitch" command to force a teamswitch, either on the Hunted map or on other maps, which I may implement if there is enough request for it.

Quote:
- There's interferences between the Payload and CP mods, and the Hunted mod. Setup happen only the first time, the Payload doors are opened between segment (meaning one could spawn at the beginning of Goldrush, and _walk_ to the last CP of the _third_ segment).
I'm not sure I know what you are talking about (at least in regards to the last part). If this mod conflicts with other mods then I'm not sure what I can do. Could you post specifically what mods you are referring to?

As for the setup timer, again there isn't much I can do there - nor am I sure I would want to. If there was a 60 second setup time between each time the Hunted dies (which, in my experience, is quite often!) then games would drag on.

Check your PMs, I will send you the current translations file for a French translation. Thanks!
Old 07-29-2008 , 13:22   Re: The Hunted Mod v1.1.1 (7/15/08)
Reply With Quote #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by msleeper View Post
I am looking into this problem right now. The problem is a little misleading - the Hunted (and his Medic) are not able to cap the point while they are Ubered, since TF2 does not allow you to do this. However, it does allow other Bodyguards to assist in the capping like normal, which is what is causing the problem. As I said, I am in the process of finding a solution to this.
Yup I've seen this... capture or payload pushing is locked, but the presence of the Hunted unlock this, even if he is under über. That's more precise

Quote:
Are you referring to the vip_hunted map? If so, then that is the intention. Teams will not switch automatically. People have requested a "sm_hunted_teamswitch" command to force a teamswitch, either on the Hunted map or on other maps, which I may implement if there is enough request for it.
Nope, I was referring to any maps, I've tested it on Golsrush and Dustbowl but I assume it happens for all maps. I found a vip map on FpsBanana, but it had bad reviews I didn't download it yet.

So ok, it's not a bug it's a feature. I second this request then. I don't remember how it was played on TFC (lonnnng time ago), but every assymetrical map and mod on TF2 involve a TeamSwitch (you play blue, then red, then blue, then red, etc.) and since VIP is assymetric, I think it would be best to have a TeamSwitch.

Maybe not a TeamSwitch after each round... it could be something like play n rounds as Assassins, then get switched to Bodyguards&Hunted, and so on.

Quote:
I'm not sure I know what you are talking about (at least in regards to the last part). If this mod conflicts with other mods then I'm not sure what I can do. Could you post specifically what mods you are referring to?
Sorry, I wasn't very clear.

Example on Goldrush, a Payload map (iirc, I didn't take notes):

- no setup
- the two one-way doors at the first CP are locked, but the doors allowing people to go to the second segments (and third segments) are unlocked.
- if the Hunted dies, the Payload stay where it was, the map isn't reset

Example on Dustbowl :
- setup only the first time
- CP stay captured if the Hunted dies

But I'm guessing the goal is to play the Hunted Mod only on VIP map at some point, so maybe there's no need to adress these. I don't know.

Quote:
Check your PMs, I will send you the current translations file for a French translation. Thanks!
Oki.

Edit : another question. If someone wanted to design a map for the Hunted Mod, is there anything he needs to know, Hammer related? Any special commands, variables set, whatever? (I don't know Hammer at all, but I'm trying to motivate some mappers to work on VIP maps )

Last edited by Jérémie; 07-29-2008 at 13:25.
msleeper
Veteran Member
Old 07-29-2008 , 15:19   Re: The Hunted Mod v1.1.1 (7/15/08)
Reply With Quote #43

French translation added thanks to Jérémie! Check you PMs again, I sent you the file just to make sure nothing got screwed up in the file, some of the special characters look weird to me but I'm not sure if it's my computer's charset or what. I'm new to this whole translation thing.

Quote:
Yup I've seen this... capture or payload pushing is locked, but the presence of the Hunted unlock this, even if he is under über. That's more precise
Yes that is correct. I am still working on a fix to this (see the Scripting forum if you don't believe me!) and I am hoping to have a fix for it in 1.2.0.

Quote:
Nope, I was referring to any maps, I've tested it on Golsrush and Dustbowl but I assume it happens for all maps. I found a vip map on FpsBanana, but it had bad reviews I didn't download it yet.

[. . .]

Maybe not a TeamSwitch after each round... it could be something like play n rounds as Assassins, then get switched to Bodyguards&Hunted, and so on.
Any default map that does have team switch should do the team switch whenever Blue wins the game (such as Dustbowl, capturing the last area) or when the timer runs out and Red wins. If teams were to switch every time the Hunted dies then people would be switching back and forth really often! It's not uncommon for the Hunted to die several times in an attempt to make it through a map, so I don't want to add in a forced team switch. As for custom maps, see below.

Quote:
- no setup
- the two one-way doors at the first CP are locked, but the doors allowing people to go to the second segments (and third segments) are unlocked.
- if the Hunted dies, the Payload stay where it was, the map isn't reset

Example on Dustbowl :
- setup only the first time
- CP stay captured if the Hunted dies

But I'm guessing the goal is to play the Hunted Mod only on VIP map at some point, so maybe there's no need to adress these. I don't know.
Again you are correct, all of these are unaltered (in default maps) on purpose. Playing Hunted on maps such as Dustbowl or Goldrush is just to tide people over until the vip_hunted map is finished. If you get a chance you should hop on the F7Lans Hunted server when someone is on, we are usually playing the latest version there!

Quote:
Edit : another question. If someone wanted to design a map for the Hunted Mod, is there anything he needs to know, Hammer related? Any special commands, variables set, whatever? (I don't know Hammer at all, but I'm trying to motivate some mappers to work on VIP maps )
I will probably add an article to the Valve Developer Wiki in the TF2 Mapping section about the caveats for making a VIP map, but the short answer is no, there are zero special entities that you need to create or modify to make it playable with Hunted. There are some things that a map designer should keep in mind (such as no spawn doors for Blue, single capture zones are best, and a short timer), but any map that is setup as Attack/Defend or Payload should work just fine.
Old 07-29-2008 , 15:59   Re: The Hunted Mod v1.1.1 (7/15/08)
Reply With Quote #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by msleeper View Post
French translation added thanks to Jérémie! Check you PMs again, I sent you the file just to make sure nothing got screwed up in the file, some of the special characters look weird to me but I'm not sure if it's my computer's charset or what. I'm new to this whole translation thing.
Indeed. You need to keep the translation fine encoded in utf-8 at every stage of its editing. The one you have after importing my work is some kind of ansi.

If you are on Windows, don't use the Notepad. Try Notedpad2 or Notepad++ for example. On *nix and OSX, any recent (updated since 1995 or so ;p ) text editor should work fine.

Quote:
Yes that is correct. I am still working on a fix to this (see the Scripting forum if you don't believe me!) and I am hoping to have a fix for it in 1.2.0.
Splendid

Quote:
Any default map that does have team switch should do the team switch whenever Blue wins the game (such as Dustbowl, capturing the last area) or when the timer runs out and Red wins. If teams were to switch every time the Hunted dies then people would be switching back and forth really often! It's not uncommon for the Hunted to die several times in an attempt to make it through a map, so I don't want to add in a forced team switch. As for custom maps, see below.
Ok I got it. The Blue team doesn't lost if the Hunted dies, the Blue team loses if they can't let the Hunted escape in the time set by the map.

Quote:
I will probably add an article to the Valve Developer Wiki in the TF2 Mapping section about the caveats for making a VIP map, but the short answer is no, there are zero special entities that you need to create or modify to make it playable with Hunted. There are some things that a map designer should keep in mind (such as no spawn doors for Blue, single capture zones are best, and a short timer), but any map that is setup as Attack/Defend or Payload should work just fine.
Thanks.
msleeper
Veteran Member
Old 07-29-2008 , 22:09   Re: The Hunted Mod v1.1.1 (7/15/08)
Reply With Quote #45

Version 1.2.0 released, be sure to download the Translations file. I also added links to the Mapping Guide for any mappers out there interested in making a Hunted map!

I have been getting intermittent lag and crashes on my server, however I have not gotten any complaints from other Hunted users. I am somewhat certain it is related to the system and not the actual plugin, but if anyone could post if they are getting errors or crashes, it would be very helpful! Thanks.
Old 07-31-2008 , 16:32   Re: The Hunted Mod v1.2.0 (7/29/08)
Reply With Quote #46

I think I may have isolated the crash, which has confirmed to show up on other servers. Once I know this for sure I will release 1.2.1 here in the next couple of days.

EDIT Phrases file is updated with correct UTF8 German translation, thanks again gH0sTy.

In related news, the Hunted map is coming along quite well. Here is the main road / forward Red spawn.

http://i37.tinypic.com/2hd04du.jpg

Last edited by msleeper; 07-31-2008 at 16:44.
Jérémie
Old 08-01-2008 , 02:47   Re: The Hunted Mod v1.2.0 (7/29/08)
Reply With Quote #47

Nice grounds for an alpha map Waiting for 1.2.1
Alex2501
Old 08-08-2008 , 21:27   Re: The Hunted Mod v1.2.0 (7/29/08)
Reply With Quote #48

My thoughts:

I really liked it, can't remember what map I was on, but it starts Blue off in a basement/garage and it leads to a ramp, and then there's a vent to the left you can rocket jump up to. Would anyone know the name of that map?

I was able to play as The Hunted for a bit, even managed to win once. I like what you can do with it, Spies have multiple opportunities here.

Biggest problem I had with it is if it's 5 VS 5, the Red team wins with their handful of Snipers. It could've been just the map, which happens I know. But it was 9 times out of 10 in the Red Teams favor to win it. Once it became 10 VS 10, it became much more balanced. Still, I think Blue should have access to the Scout. A limit on Scouts would work, if anything to distract those Snipers and manage to blast them out of their hiding place.

Just an idea. Maybe a bug you're not aware of, but despite whoever wins, the losing team can still fire their weapons and kill.

Overall, great job!
ThatGuy
Old 08-09-2008 , 01:26   Re: The Hunted Mod v1.2.0 (7/29/08)
Reply With Quote #49

My friend had a cool idea, rather then having the engi be the civilian, why not have the spy? just disable the cloaking and remove the knife, and only give him the ability to disguise. A way to sneak his way through, that sounds like fun to me.
Old 08-10-2008 , 11:22   Re: The Hunted Mod v1.2.0 (7/29/08)
Reply With Quote #50

Well everyone, Hunted 1.2.1 should be released very soon, and 1.3.0 (possibly final) should come not too long after that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex2501 View Post
I really liked it, can't remember what map I was on, but it starts Blue off in a basement/garage and it leads to a ramp, and then there's a vent to the left you can rocket jump up to. Would anyone know the name of that map?
Check out the screenshots here of the vip_hunted map that is WIP right now. We are usually running this on the F7 Hunted server.

Quote:
Biggest problem I had with it is if it's 5 VS 5, the Red team wins with their handful of Snipers. It could've been just the map, which happens I know. But it was 9 times out of 10 in the Red Teams favor to win it. Once it became 10 VS 10, it became much more balanced. Still, I think Blue should have access to the Scout. A limit on Scouts would work, if anything to distract those Snipers and manage to blast them out of their hiding place.
We have playtested other classes, including Scout on Blue. They do not really add to the "bodyguard" feel of the Blue team, the huge majority of Scouts ran off to get kills rather than keep the Hunted safe.

Quote:
Just an idea. Maybe a bug you're not aware of, but despite whoever wins, the losing team can still fire their weapons and kill.
This only happens when the Hunted dies. It does not enter "humiliation mode" where the losing team can't shoot and the winners get 100% crits. This is intentional - the humiliation round only happens when the timer runs out, or when the Hunted escapes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuy View Post
My friend had a cool idea, rather then having the engi be the civilian, why not have the spy? just disable the cloaking and remove the knife, and only give him the ability to disguise. A way to sneak his way through, that sounds like fun to me.
Having the Hunted sneak around undetected is not really the intent of the Mod.