Raised This Month: $12 Target: $400
 3% 

Security question ... what can source mode access on a windows machine ?

Post New Thread Reply   

ghostdlr
Old 05-31-2020 , 16:56   Security question ... what can source mode access on a windows machine ?
Reply With Quote #1

Hello guys. I have a dedicated server with Windows server 2019 and I want to host a CS GO server for someone.

I also have my stuff running there, some websites and files. Is there any security risk if I host that CS GO server?

Can source mod plugins list and read files from disk outside cs go server folder? Can it get info about running processes or any information about the machine ?

Last edited by ghostdlr; 05-31-2020 at 16:56.
Fyren
FyrenFyrenFyrenFyrenFyren FyrenFyrenFyrenFyrenFyren FyrenFyrenFyrenFyrenFyren FyrenFyrenFyrenFyrenFyren
Old 05-31-2020 , 17:33   Re: Security question ... what can source mode access on a windows machine ?
Reply With Quote #2

The answer to what you should do about security shouldn't actually have anything to do with what MM:S, SM, or plugins for either can do. You should not trust any of those things, or the game server itself, to do what they say they do or are intended to do. You should always run everything with the minimum required permissions.
ghostdlr
Old 05-31-2020 , 19:48   Re: Security question ... what can source mode access on a windows machine ?
Reply With Quote #3

I don't know how I can limit permissions for srcds ...

I have docker for windows installed but i'm not sure if cs go server can run on it.