Raised This Month: $12 Target: $400
 3% 

[REQ] L4D - When hanging press E to drop.

Post New Thread Reply   

RAAP
Old 02-26-2009 , 22:31   Re: [REQ] L4D - When hanging press E to drop.
Reply With Quote #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonGT View Post
Run the attached plugin and let me know what it prints to console when your hanging from a ledge and press the +use key (e). It should start with [Debug] and have some text after it. If this works properly I will look for some way to actually release them.
Hey Crimson, I just realized in your sig its says not to PM you. Sorry!
Old 02-27-2009 , 12:06   Re: [REQ] L4D - When hanging press E to drop.
Reply With Quote #12

This is something tha I was contemplating but I can't figure out how to do it. I tried a proof of concept firing the player_ledge_release event but that didn't actually cause the player to let go.

Also, the default behavior when letting go is to die (regardless of how high you let go from which is why it's such a problem). This will need to be changed.
CrimsonGT
Veteran Member
Old 02-27-2009 , 19:04   Re: [REQ] L4D - When hanging press E to drop.
Reply With Quote #13

An event is just a notification, firing one isnt going to do anything. I didnt have any luck with this, not to say its impossible but I messed with settings for a while and couldnt find anything that worked.
Old 02-27-2009 , 22:23   Re: [REQ] L4D - When hanging press E to drop.
Reply With Quote #14

NP man, thanks for trying!
Old 03-01-2009 , 02:55   Re: [REQ] L4D - When hanging press E to drop.
Reply With Quote #15

How about give health to the survivor to revive them and then teleport them to where they would be if they dropped?
CrimsonGT
Veteran Member
Old 03-01-2009 , 04:16   Re: [REQ] L4D - When hanging press E to drop.
Reply With Quote #16

Thats not the problem, finding out WHEN they are hanging is the problem. The netprop that I checked does not return the correct value.

*Edit*

Actually I did just see a way to do it. Its not as pretty as the aforementioned method but its doable. Unfortunately paid jobs are stacking up in my PM box so I need to get them done first obviously. If I get a chance, I will try and work on it in a week or two.

Last edited by CrimsonGT; 03-01-2009 at 04:19.
madcap
Old 03-02-2009 , 09:30   Re: [REQ] L4D - When hanging press E to drop.
Reply With Quote #17

I'd be willing to take a shot at this if you could give me a quick explanation of your idea.
CrimsonGT
Veteran Member
Old 03-02-2009 , 09:41   Re: [REQ] L4D - When hanging press E to drop.
Reply With Quote #18

Sure, basically I cant remember what it was now, but one of the game events pertaining to reviving the player is called when they are successfully helped off the ledge, and theres an event for when they are hanging. Keep a global boolean tracker going like g_bIsHanging, and then use the Player_Use gameevent that I had in that test script I wrote on page 1. If the boolean is true (change it from true to false based on those two events) and they press the use key, drop them in some manner.

Probably the cleanest would be to use a traceray straight down that collides with brushes (so it hits entitys and the floor) and then teleport the player to the end location of the traceray (add to the Z axis value though so that they arent teleported halfway into the floor)

There MIGHT be a netprop/datamap set when they are hanging that could cause weird things to happen if it was still set and they were teleported, so if that does happen take a look and see if you can find it. Its probably a 50/50 chance that it will be fine just teleporting them.
Old 03-02-2009 , 13:57   Re: [REQ] L4D - When hanging press E to drop.
Reply With Quote #19

I'm thinking if I can figure out a way to revive the player in place then I can let gravity take over and do the rest. Then I don't have to worry about whether the place they are falling into should kill them or not.

DownTown1 - Does giving a player health actually revive them or was that just a theory?
Downtown1
Veteran Member
Old 03-02-2009 , 15:21   Re: [REQ] L4D - When hanging press E to drop.
Reply With Quote #20

Yes, "give health" actually revives a player.