Raised This Month: $32 Target: $400
 8% 

[CS:GO] Again, bad performance..

Post New Thread Reply   

pcmaster
AlliedModders Donor
Old 07-07-2015 , 18:12   [CS:GO] Again, bad performance..
Reply With Quote #1

So lately I have noticed that my CS:GO server isn't running that well anymore.
It oftenly falls down to 30-50 tick (started with 64) and lags quite badly.

I have run sm's vprof command, here is the top of of the output (the most demanding stuff only)

Spoiler

Everything down below is in µ-seconds area. As you can see, I am running Zipcore's Timer with some small modifications (only visual, no game-changing stuff).

Relevant network/performance settings:
Code:
sv_minrate "52800"
sv_maxrate "0"
sv_minupdaterate "20"
sv_mincmdrate "30"
sv_force_transmit_players "0"
net_splitrate "2"
sm_cvar sv_unlag "0.1"
sm_cvar net_maxcleartime "0.001"
sv_occlude_players "0"
Anyone knows what I can do to fix this?
Old 07-08-2015 , 05:19   Re: [CS:GO] Again, bad performance..
Reply With Quote #2

Please upload the sm prof dump in a .txt file. Allows us to more easily read what's going on.
pcmaster
AlliedModders Donor
Old 07-08-2015 , 07:55   Re: [CS:GO] Again, bad performance..
Reply With Quote #3

Here it is: http://files.f-o-g.eu/ebg63g
Also some more information:
OS - Linux Debian 7 with 100Hz kernel (runs just fine)
Network speed - 1000MBit/s
Old 07-08-2015 , 23:34   Re: [CS:GO] Again, bad performance..
Reply With Quote #4

I suspect the amount of players on the server is causing your CPU to be maxed out. What specs are you running?
pcmaster
AlliedModders Donor
Old 07-09-2015 , 07:07   Re: [CS:GO] Again, bad performance..
Reply With Quote #5

CPU: i7-3770k
RAM: 32GB
Normal HDD's

Interestingly, while the sv/var is quite high usually, it is different on a map-to-map basis.
Not-so-consuming maps (like surf_beginner/kitsune) drive Svms up to 100ms (as in, 10 tick), while other, more visually consuming maps stay at 12-15 (on a full 40 slot server).
Just now, the server is running a map with 12-15Smvs and 120% CPU, no lags..
Old 07-09-2015 , 07:58   Re: [CS:GO] Again, bad performance..
Reply With Quote #6

your cpu is hyper-threaded. I'm running my csgo server in almost equal machine (mine has 2 hd in raid 1) and i noticed srcds is able to lock itself on 1 thread only (i7 = 4 core 3.4ghz / 8 thread 1.7 ghz) compelling me to run max 18 players per server (i'm going on with like 1 player per 100mhz on 128 tick) to see almost no lag.

How many players do you have on your servers?

(And if anyone knows any method to let srcds use more than 1 thread...well, any advice is very appreciated)

Last edited by Nekros1; 07-09-2015 at 08:00.
pcmaster
AlliedModders Donor
Old 07-09-2015 , 08:03   Re: [CS:GO] Again, bad performance..
Reply With Quote #7

As mentioned already, 40 (44 with reserved slots).

EDIT: Maybe disabling HT will give a performance boost? I have read that it gives some delay while processing.

Last edited by pcmaster; 07-09-2015 at 08:10.
Potato Uno
Veteran Member
Old 07-09-2015 , 09:29   Re: [CS:GO] Again, bad performance..
Reply With Quote #8

HT only will cause your server to lag if you're already pushing your CPU to maximum workload. If your CPU is mostly doing nothing, then disabling HT won't do anything.

You already should be dedicating 1 physical core per server to begin with (in other words, with an i7-3770k, you should only be running 4 servers maximum). My MvM servers run on an i7-3770 with hyperthreading left enabled and despite MvM servers being CPU massacring (22 bot AI), it doesn't lag at all.

You can try disabling hyperthreading, but unless you're running 8 servers on an i7-3770k and you kill 4 of them, I very highly doubt you will find any performance boost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nekros1 View Post
(i7 = 4 core 3.4ghz / 8 thread 1.7 ghz)

(And if anyone knows any method to let srcds use more than 1 thread...well, any advice is very appreciated)
LOL NO. Please read up on how hyperthreading works before you make really wrong statements like this that can mislead others. Hyperthreading enables another process to use an unused section of a CPU core, rather than having that process wait until the CPU core is totally empty/idle (which is what i5's do). It does not split the clock speed at all. If what you said is true, then intel would not have ever bothered inventing it (read moore's law). The only problem with hyperthreading is if two processes require the same resource on a CPU core, in which case the CPU core stalls one of them momentarily (this is the performance drop that people complain about regarding HT).

And you can't let srcds use more than 1 thread. From a conversation with BAILOPAN, srcds functions are not thread safe, so almost all executions are ran on one thread only (occasionally it will spawn a second worker thread but consider that as unreliable). Even sourcemod bytecode is executed on the same thread as the game thread for this reason.

On an unrelated note: It is theoretically possible for a i7-3770k to run a highly parallelized program as well as an 8 physical core xeon CPU (with HT disabled) can. It's an unusual case but it can happen (it happened to some dumb program I wrote once), if the number of resource collision requests between 2 processes on a single core is kept very very small. If HT split the clock speed in half, then this would not be possible. For srcds, this is guaranteed to never happen, so don't rely on HT cores as extra cores.

Last edited by Potato Uno; 07-09-2015 at 09:39.
Neuro Toxin
Veteran Member
Old 07-09-2015 , 19:51   Re: [CS:GO] Again, bad performance..
Reply With Quote #9

As far as I understand. The game and networking are in two threads. If you use SM databases with threaded operations these go into a 3rd thread.

Windows will try to split the game and networking thread onto different cpus when there is not much load.

Whereas linux forces them onto the same cpu.

I run a 4core HTT cpu. This is 8 cpus in windows. I run 2 servers per physical core and place them to use both virtual cores via affinity.

Edit: I use affinity because during large loads I observe windows changing the cpus for each server erratically which causes cache misses. You can see sv and var reflecting this during peak periods.

Last edited by Neuro Toxin; 07-09-2015 at 20:01.
pcmaster
AlliedModders Donor
Old 09-03-2015 , 15:45   Re: [CS:GO] Again, bad performance..
Reply With Quote #10

Soooooooooo, out of curiosity, I have unloaded the "HUD" plugin of the timer, and what a surprise, sv dropps by like 70..
From 70-80 to ~6 and all white (no lags at all).

What I am confused about is that the plugin only creates one timer (running each 100ms) to update all player's huds, seems like there are quite some "costly" operations.

Talking about Zipcore's timer (version from last december).