12% 

Downtime Over

Post New Thread Closed Thread   

KyleS
SourceMod Plugin Approver
Old 01-26-2011 , 19:28   Re: Downtime Over

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warbucks View Post
Anyone who has been in the dedicated/co-location business long enough knows that price means squat. It's a cut through industry and there are plenty of crappy providers out there trying to undercut each other. The old saying "you get what you pay for" really does shine in this industry.
As a whole, that price is pretty accurate for what's out there. Europe has much cheaper bandwidth in comparison to... lets say Australia or Malaysia. What's rather poor about buying overseas is there's nothing you can do really if they cancel your account for some bizarre reason. Sure you could try back charging, but that doesn't always work.

OVH recently improved their peering, however their bandwidth practices aren't that nice (*TB 100mbit, rest is 10mbit. Internal is 1gbit, or 10gbit if you have the port --> This is just from experience from a couple years ago, could have changed). Hetzner looks like they follow a similar practice.
BAILOPAN
Old 01-27-2011 , 03:22   Re: Downtime Over

Question for bandwidth gurus. Here's our stats for last month:

* Out: 830GB, 2.6mbps avg, 7mbps peak.
* In: 176GB, 538mbps avg, 1.1mbps peak.
* Total: ~1TB, 3mbps avg, 8mbps peak.
* At ThePlanet, in 2007, we had to upgrade to 100mbit because the site was too slow on 10mbit. We were using about 700GB/mo then.

If we *had* to pay per-1mbps, on a 95% percentile, what do you think would make sense for us?

Last edited by BAILOPAN; 01-27-2011 at 03:32.
The Art of War
Veteran Member
Old 01-27-2011 , 05:20   Re: Downtime Over

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAILOPAN View Post
Question for bandwidth gurus. Here's our stats for last month:

* Out: 830GB, 2.6mbps avg, 7mbps peak.
* In: 176GB, 538kbps avg, 1.1mbps peak.
* Total: ~1TB, 3mbps avg, 8mbps peak.
* At ThePlanet, in 2007, we had to upgrade to 100mbit because the site was too slow on 10mbit. We were using about 700GB/mo then.

If we *had* to pay per-1mbps, on a 95% percentile, what do you think would make sense for us?
I guess

* In: 176GB, 538mbps avg, 1.1mbps peak.

is 538kbps not mbps if the total average is 3 mbps :p

Last edited by BAILOPAN; 01-27-2011 at 13:00.
Dravu
Old 01-27-2011 , 05:46   Re: Downtime Over

1mbps is roughly 316gb if it makes it any easier to figure things out. Bandwidth starts getting expensive when you buy it per mbps which you'll find out if you ever colo as well.
ottobohn
Old 01-27-2011 , 10:14   Re: Downtime Over

You can do co-location hosting on hardware (get hardware donated) and make deals for unlimited bandwidth. A 10MB pipe sometimes comes with unlimited bandwidth. Sounds like no one is doing daily backups of the forums and with the cpanel bust (we got hit too), your restore lacked. Maybe it's time that a web hosting company hosts you for free and they can do the backups for you. This'll take the worry of time/money. You can find someone to sponsor you.

You get $50/month from advertising and over $200/month in donations. I fail to see how you're not able to financially put this place together. That's an honest analysis. We run on $100/month for web hosting only with no bandwidth limitations. Your business model needs tweaked.

Otto

Gaming with benefits.
www.n00bsalad.net

Last edited by ottobohn; 01-27-2011 at 10:17.
Veteran Member
Old 01-27-2011 , 11:20   Re: Downtime Over

There's no such thing as unlimited. Also, I don't think BAILOPAN will agree to become dependent on a sponsor. What's this cpanel (as in cPanel/WHM?) bust you mentioned?
Veteran Member
Old 01-27-2011 , 11:40   Re: Downtime Over

I'm very upset to see the little amount of faith some of our "loyal" members seem to have in BAILOPAN's decision making. I repeat, THIS ISN'T YOUR RUN OF THE MILL WEB SERVER YOU GOD DAMN RETARDS. I don't know how many times it needs to be said, but I'll break it down a little simpler: AlliedMods EASILY allocates $300 of bandwidth a month. And that is JUST bandwidth. What about all the times that BAILOPAN paid out of pocket for hardware repairs? Anyone that doesn't understand that (cough ottobohn) needs to re-evaluate their knowledge of server management. Taking a look at your community makes it obvious why $100 a month is okay for yourself. I don't want to make any one person feel "bad" about their lack of server requirements, but maybe that will help you understand the heavy load that AlliedMod's takes on. Oh, and I expect a certain level of respect from members who expect "answers" about this. You have been given plenty yet you continue to attempt to shit on BAILOPAN.
EDIT: n00bsalad took my browser 20 seconds to load per visit. GG, HEY BAILOPAN LET'S USE THAT PIECE OF SHIT SERVER.
Old 01-27-2011 , 11:49   Re: Downtime Over

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottobohn View Post
You can do co-location hosting on hardware (get hardware donated) and make deals for unlimited bandwidth. A 10MB pipe sometimes comes with unlimited bandwidth. Sounds like no one is doing daily backups of the forums and with the cpanel bust (we got hit too), your restore lacked. Maybe it's time that a web hosting company hosts you for free and they can do the backups for you. This'll take the worry of time/money. You can find someone to sponsor you.

You get $50/month from advertising and over $200/month in donations. I fail to see how you're not able to financially put this place together. That's an honest analysis. We run on $100/month for web hosting only with no bandwidth limitations. Your business model needs tweaked.

Otto
Cpanel? Really? /quit

If you think AM is using a shared host running cpanel... well, i'll just stop there.
Veteran Member
Old 01-27-2011 , 12:36   Re: Downtime Over

I don't think that Otto really thinks that AM is running on a shared hosting environment. From what I could discover his site isn't hosted on a shared environment either (and considering it seems to be hosted on IIS 7, it's very unlikely he's using cPanel).
Old 01-27-2011 , 13:06   Re: Downtime Over

Quote:
Sounds like no one is doing daily backups of the forums and with the cpanel bust
We don't use cpanel. Also, we back up the forums daily. That's why they're online

Quote:
Your business model needs tweaked.
Well, this is not a business. Hobbies tend to lose money. Right now, the questions I'm trying to answer are "what does AM need to run smoothly for the next five years," and "what is the right amount to spend to make that happen?"