Raised This Month: $32 Target: $400
 8% 

SMALL (Depreciated) function similarities?

Post New Thread Reply   

BAILOPAN
Old 02-13-2005 , 10:34  
Reply With Quote #11

deprecated, not depreciated. It's deprecated because its capabilities are limited and the implementation of the compiler is very buggy.
Veteran Member
Old 02-13-2005 , 19:44  
Reply With Quote #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freecode
nah just asking cuz in small most plugins are just 1 file so im just guessing it was gonna be same for this
ur on crack war3x and war3ft are multi (thanks to war3x though, I didn't know it was possible either until he released his source, then I was like NICE)

PM
hello, i am pm
Old 02-14-2005 , 06:28  
Reply With Quote #13

The new small compiler supports multiple source file programs natively.
Old 02-14-2005 , 16:24   Re: Depreciated?
Reply With Quote #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shibz
Why does source mod use all these new languages? I thought small was perfectly fine, but now its "depreciated"? I don't know if I can get used to another language...
Well Small is basically a stripped down version of C that was intended originally for imbedded devices, but has been used for a lot more due to it's simplicity. Since all the Small commands are common to C i would guess that you could write code exactly as you would in Small, compile it as C, and it should work just fine.

I'm happy to see C instead of Small cause there's greater functionallity like Case statements and other stuff that was stripped out in small.
PM
hello, i am pm
Old 02-15-2005 , 05:58   Re: Depreciated?
Reply With Quote #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shibz
Why does source mod use all these new languages? I thought small was perfectly fine, but now its "depreciated"? I don't know if I can get used to another language...
Well Small is basically a stripped down version of C that was intended originally for imbedded devices, but has been used for a lot more due to it's simplicity. Since all the Small commands are common to C i would guess that you could write code exactly as you would in Small, compile it as C, and it should work just fine.

I'm happy to see C instead of Small cause there's greater functionallity like Case statements and other stuff that was stripped out in small.
Most porgrams written in SmallC wouldn't compile as C because C doesn't have tokens like "new", "public", "stock", and C has real types instead of "tags".
SourceMod Donor
Old 03-27-2005 , 15:32  
Reply With Quote #16

I read alot about C (What ever you can get in from about a 4 hour read), and I don't like it. I do think that Small seem to gives a easyer time to the programer. C is too restrictive. Any one have a place that I could learn C++?
hello, i am pm
Old 03-27-2005 , 15:34  
Reply With Quote #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dygear
C is too restrictive.
:O

Small is a kind of SmallC; C has more features (like real types and structs) than Small.
Old 04-06-2005 , 19:52  
Reply With Quote #18

I do have to say that small may seem to have its advantages (the main one being that AMX scripters are used to it already) but really SmallC just seems like a more basic version of C.

Its easier to understand, and even beginners can do things on their own with it as long as they have a compiler.

Then as well, even very talented coders can do very artistic things with it too, I would say it has about as many benefits as it has downsides.

In the end everyone will adapt to changes made just as we always do, even if we don't want to.
Dygear
SourceMod Donor
Old 04-06-2005 , 22:56  
Reply With Quote #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dygear
C is too restrictive.
:O

Small is a kind of SmallC; C has more features (like real types and structs) than Small.
Can, I stumbled across this thing called pointers. Now that's cool! I still like the way Small is setup, in that you only need to say new and not differentiate between each of the types, int, float, char, ect. C over time would require a lot more space, a lot more time. But allows you to do a lot more things. Small is exactly what it is meant to be, small, fast, but not well known, so its kinda underused.