Game server provider - reviews

Post New Thread Reply   

Dr. McKay
Sir Dr. SourceMod Plugin Approver Esq. Ltd. M.D. PhD
Old 11-13-2011 , 09:07   Re: Game server provider - reviews
Reply With Quote #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dravu View Post
There is no way you can host a 32man server on a VPS costing $9/month. The provider would have to be overselling like crazy to make ends meet.
It's working fine for me.
Old 11-13-2011 , 12:13   Re: Game server provider - reviews
Reply With Quote #22

Anyone with experience with ultimate game servers? We're looking for reviews. We're taking moving very very seriously.

Russianeer
SourceMod Donor
Old 11-13-2011 , 14:05   Re: Game server provider - reviews
Reply With Quote #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larsen View Post
Maybe I should have named the budget we were on. We're looking to spend no more than $90-$100 a month for two 32-slots (one pub, one private, +50-slot ventrilo). The linux servers I priced on NFO were baseline $30 more, so that was already at $80 for one server. And DGS doesn't offer linux from what I gathered. Nobody seems to offer linux.

Guess we'll have to move to Windows.
There is no difference in price between windows and linux for NFO. You can get the two-core VPS, and you'll be able to host the 32-slot and one private server on it without a single problem and have a lot of space left over just in case. With the other 40 dollars to fill up your budget, you can get a 15 dollar 75 slot Ventrilo server.

As for windows vs linux. From the looks of it, valve doesn't seem to give much shit about linux at the moment. I have both windows and a linux box, and my linux servers crash much more often having completely same addons installed as with windows. So going with windows instead would be a better option for you, unless you have an OS specific plugin. But in the end, you can still choose whether you want windows or linux to go with your control panel.

But don't doubt NFO. I've been with them a few times. They have really powerful servers and outstanding support. They handle every single issue that could happen with the server or the network momentarily. I am not even speaking of the network yet. InterNAP probably achieves the best latency in the country. You can also switch the location of the VPS at any time between any of their locations. You will not regret going with them.

Oh and a tip. If you decide to go with them at the end, be sure to get the "Managed game-server-only VDS," since they use some really stable configs for FPS and etc. But going with unmanaged would be just fine as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. McKay View Post
That's quite a large budget. I could get you set up with three individual VPS's for $9 per month each, that'd be $27 per month.

Btw, I have Linux.
I wouldn't trust some unreliable guy that could go offline any day having those prices with my servers.

Last edited by Russianeer; 11-13-2011 at 14:17.
Dr. McKay
Old 11-13-2011 , 15:04   Re: Game server provider - reviews
Reply With Quote #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russianeer View Post
I wouldn't trust some unreliable guy that could go offline any day having those prices with my servers.
For the record, I'm not hosting the servers. I'm a VPS reseller.

Where do you see unreliable?
Old 11-13-2011 , 15:14   Re: Game server provider - reviews
Reply With Quote #25

Quote:
For the record, I'm not hosting the servers. I'm a VPS reseller.

Where do you see unreliable?
I see unreliability in the price, and also the fact that you just go around the forum trying to resell your VPSes. $9 for a Xen? What kind of a Xen is that? You don't even state the specifications and just go on with the price of 9 dollars. And furthermore, how much do you actually make in profit from one VPS? 1-2 dollars? More? That makes the price even lower for the actual VPS. I find it impossible to run a stable hosting provider having those prices for Xen.

That is unreliable.

Last edited by Russianeer; 11-13-2011 at 15:15.
Dr. McKay
Old 11-13-2011 , 15:18   Re: Game server provider - reviews
Reply With Quote #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russianeer View Post
I see unreliability in the price, and also the fact that you just go around the forum trying to resell your VPSes. $9 for a Xen? What kind of a Xen is that? You don't even state the specifications and just go on with the price of 9 dollars. And furthermore, how much do you actually make in profit from one VPS? 1-2 dollars? More? That makes the price even lower for the actual VPS. I find it impossible to run a stable hosting provider having those prices for Xen.

That is unreliable.
Fine, here ya go. I was avoiding talking too much since someone reported me for "advertising".

http://virpus.com/budget-vps/xen.html

XVM512. I make no profit from the $9 price, since I'm supposed to get a certain number of clients before a certain date to keep my discount. I'm just trying to get clients. Don't blame me for doing my job.

Last edited by Dr. McKay; 11-13-2011 at 15:19.
Veteran Member
Old 11-13-2011 , 15:32   Re: Game server provider - reviews
Reply With Quote #27

Quote:
I was avoiding talking too much since someone reported me for "advertising".
That would be me (perhaps among others). But since no action was taken I might as well explain here why I think you're unreliable: you're breaking a very simple rule. Makes me wonder how much your TOS is worth.
Old 11-13-2011 , 16:03   Re: Game server provider - reviews
Reply With Quote #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8088 View Post
That would be me (perhaps among others). But since no action was taken I might as well explain here why I think you're unreliable: you're breaking a very simple rule. Makes me wonder how much your TOS is worth.
So, it's still advertising even if someone asks?

Last edited by Dr. McKay; 11-13-2011 at 16:19.
Veteran Member
Old 11-13-2011 , 16:25   Re: Game server provider - reviews
Reply With Quote #29

I don't make these (simple) rules, go ask a mod about exceptions. You seem not to realise that this thread is about reviews of established host and that nobody asked you to advertise your reseller services. And before you say 'Russianeer asked', this is advertising (or spamming) in my book.

You've had your free exposure, I've made my point (and you're coming across even less reliable than I thought at first), so I'll leave this thread to people who have something on-topic and substantial to contribute.
Old 11-13-2011 , 17:17   Re: Game server provider - reviews
Reply With Quote #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8088 View Post
I don't make these (simple) rules, go ask a mod about exceptions. You seem not to realise that this thread is about reviews of established host and that nobody asked you to advertise your reseller services. And before you say 'Russianeer asked', this is advertising (or spamming) in my book.

You've had your free exposure, I've made my point (and you're coming across even less reliable than I thought at first), so I'll leave this thread to people who have something on-topic and substantial to contribute.
Alright, whatever. I'm done.