Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

Cleaning kit

Post New Thread Reply   

imported_malex
Old 10-19-2004 , 03:26   Cleaning kit
Reply With Quote #1

This would probably have to wait until the SDK is released, but I think it's an excellent idea to start talking about this unique and exciting feature now. There are some important issues that need to be resolved before the chosen developers start working on it.

The idea stems from the basic complaint some of us with less skill have, "Why isn't the bullet going where I aimed?". I've thought about this, and I think I have figured out the answer to this question. The problem is that the guns in most mods are often used by players, but are never cleaned. How many times have you personally fieldstripped that M4A1 from Counter-Strike, removed the copper and lead deposits from the barrel, oiled the moving parts? None? Well, how do you expect a precision instrument of death to function properly without cleaning?

I propose a cleaning kit for SourceMod. It would let you clean your gun, to make sure it still fires well. It should be a generic kit, with brushes for all the common callibers found in Source mods. Some nitro solvent, gun oil and a few lint-free rags, and we should be in business. As a bonus, we could include a few sight-centering targets, to make sure those sights are proper. The player would have to bind a key to "fieldstrip1" and "fieldstrip2", to field strip and clean the primary and secondary weapon, respectively. The player would then show an animation of the weapon being properly disassembled, cleaned, and reassembled. After this, the weapon would have less spread and, if the sights were readjusted, bigger, easier to aim, sights. The time it takes to clean the weapon would, naturally, discourage frequent use.

I think this plugin should be made as mod-neutral as possible, to allow all weapons in all mods to be cleaned. This may require a plasma tuner and a laser duster, to handle some of the more exotic weapons. Perhaps a toothbursh for the skulks in NS:S.

This plugin will provide SourceMod with a clear-cut advantage over other server-management tools, elevating it far above the common server-side mods that only provide kicking or slapping. SourceMod will reign supreme in the gaming world!

\malex\
FullThrottle
Old 10-19-2004 , 11:14  
Reply With Quote #2

*snakes head* Someone has way to much time spinning around in his chair.
imported_malex
Old 10-19-2004 , 13:59  
Reply With Quote #3

FullThrottle, I would have expected a more constructive post from someone like you. Why do you sink into the pit of personal attacks, when you could be leading the discussion on this?

A Cleaning Kit has long been missing from online games. Some newer titles have had a Clear Jam button, but not the preventative Cleaning Kit. The US military learned this folly of ignoring preventative maintenance in the jungles of Vietnam, and soon made sure to issue proper cleaning kits to solders, Let us not repeat it for much longer. We should send a proper message to those playing. Video games should be informative, not just entertaining. I believe teaching people that they should take proper care of firearms is an excellent lesson for this mostly gun-related genre.

\malex\

PS: Another thing to add to this kit could be a whetstone, to sharpen the knife, a weapon found in more mods than any other.
FullThrottle
Old 10-19-2004 , 19:30  
Reply With Quote #4

It was a joke malex geez. And a video game is just that a video game. We don't want to teach children playing these games how to clean their weapons and everything else. When you become too realistic people lose the ability to comprehend the difference between what is real and what is fake. There is a reason most video games don't go into great detail. It goes from a game into a training tool for people to learn to kill with.
imported_malex
Old 10-19-2004 , 19:51  
Reply With Quote #5

You don't need to know how to properly maintain a weapon to kill someone with it. You can go on a murder and mayhem spree with a bunch of dirty rifles and pistols, and still be lethal. This isn't the point. We are not teaching kids how to shoot, we are not teaching kids how to kill. These games don't teach you how to properly aim a weapon, how to select targets, how to setup ambushes. Most don't even teach you to manage your magazines.

The proper care and maintenance of a weapon is the most benign skill we can teach, and I believe we should teach it. Yes, kids may learn how to properly strip, clean, and put back together some weapons, if we are sufficiently precise in our models. I ask you, is this such a bad skill? You may say "This will turn our kids into murderer!". You'd be wrong, of course. Teaching a kid proper weapon handling, or the tiny portion we would actually teach, makes that kid no more a murderer than teaching a kid how to sharpen a knife or how to use matches.

\malex\
DarkMind
Old 10-19-2004 , 20:16  
Reply With Quote #6

What's wrong with spinning around in your chair, anyways? I have 4 kids, and believe me, you get the same effect.

I disagree with you, Throttle. Realism in games is not the definitive contribution towards a child's ability to differentiate reality and virtual reality. The fact is, there are far too many variables that obfuscates perception and there are far too many parties responsible. Parents, the media, society, businesses, and so forth. But I do, indeed, repect your opinion. So please don't think I'm trying to belittle you.

But, as for the plugin itself, it's not a bad idea. But, there are already too many games available that mimick other games a little too closely (imho). I think CSS should remain veritably close to it's original conception. However, I believe that only time can decide whether or not this idea will take off.

CS is the best example. If not for the contributions of the community, CS would have died out a long time ago. In fact, I can only play regular CS if it's modded with SH Mod, WC3, or other game-altering mods. So, in time, the idea could very well prove beneficial.
IP = 66.208.107.35:27015
micr0c0sm
Old 10-19-2004 , 20:35  
Reply With Quote #7

funny post
its a cool idea and he developed it nicely but seems to change the game too much
kiss
Send a message via AIM to micr0c0sm
imported_malex
Old 10-19-2004 , 20:49  
Reply With Quote #8

The Cleaning Kit wouldn't necessarily change the gameplay in CS:S. It could even extend the subtle differences between CTs and Ts already present. The CT weapons are more professional, more accurate and quiet. The T weapons, on the other hand, and loud devices concerned with little more than getting bullets in that general direction. Compare the AK47 and the M4A4, or the Five-seveN and the dual Barettas. The Cleaning Kit could be expanded to a general Weapon Care Kit. For the CTs, it would be a cleaning kit with sight adjustment tools, whereas for the Ts it would be magazine clips for faster reload times.

\malex\
rompom7
Old 10-20-2004 , 06:45  
Reply With Quote #9

I personally don't like that idea.

I think this would be more suited to be part of the realism mod for Counter-Strike.

But hey, some people will probably like it.
manorastroman
Old 10-20-2004 , 15:53  
Reply With Quote #10

i actually think it would be a awesome idea