Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

Game-coin.com billing

Post New Thread Reply   

mad_hamster
Old 10-21-2011 , 18:20   Re: Game-coin.com billing
Reply With Quote #21

Well, I'm not enforcing anything. The default behavior of the plugin is to kick non-paying players after a while. If you enjoyed the server and want to play more, you pay.
Bloodlvst
Old 10-21-2011 , 18:23   Re: Game-coin.com billing
Reply With Quote #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad_hamster View Post
Well, I'm not enforcing anything. The default behavior of the plugin is to kick non-paying players after a while. If you enjoyed the server and want to play more, you pay.
So basically they either say "Screw this" and find another server; or they go to the clan's board, and complain only to be told they have to pay to play, and then they again say "Screw this".

No offense, the work put into it is impressive, I just see it being a server killer.

It'd be great if you could modify it or make a version in which those "pay to win" or admin mods you referred to could use this so that whena player pays their access is activated immediately without clan/admin intervention.
Gippo
AlliedModders Donor
Old 10-21-2011 , 19:01   Re: Game-coin.com billing
Reply With Quote #23

It's only worth putting this in, if your server is really unique. Like a MWF plugin or something.
mad_hamster
Old 10-21-2011 , 19:31   Re: Game-coin.com billing
Reply With Quote #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodlvst View Post
So basically they either say "Screw this" and find another server; or they go to the clan's board, and complain only to be told they have to pay to play, and then they again say "Screw this".

No offense, the work put into it is impressive, I just see it being a server killer.
Hopefully, gaming communities using Game-coin.com will use their income to provide a better gaming experience, such as a better website + forum + voice server + lan parties + competitions + prizes + unique paid-for plugins + unique paid-for maps/textures/models, etc.

If they become substantially more fun to play on than free servers, at some point you'll bite the bullet and pay up.

Quote:
It'd be great if you could modify it or make a version in which those "pay to win" or admin mods you referred to could use this so that whena player pays their access is activated immediately without clan/admin intervention.
That's already supported. The API is open and any plugin can be very easily modified to check if the player is being billed through Game-coin and grant him privileges, without requiring the whole PayPal & admin intervention process. All a player has to do is log-in to his Game-coin account, see the recent game servers he played on and allow a server to bill him from now on, in a single click. In the future I may add a feature that allows a player to ask for a confirmation SMS right from the in-game menu, and once he replies the server he plays on will be allowed to bill him, without having to alt-tab out of the game.

However, I personally hate such plugins. While I can't prevent them using the Game-coin API, I would rather that people think of Game-coin as "that billing system that's used by top-of-the-class gaming communities to bill by the minute" instead of "that billing system used by scammy gaming communities selling power to 12 year olds".
Bloodlvst
Old 10-21-2011 , 19:38   Re: Game-coin.com billing
Reply With Quote #25

Well in my defence admin is only given to trusted people.

However some other things I have setup for VIPs would be nice if they could be automated, that's all I'm saying. I guess as much as I don't like the intent of the plugin, there is tons of potential in it, and for that I can't knock you.

Last edited by Bloodlvst; 10-21-2011 at 19:39.
mad_hamster
Old 10-21-2011 , 19:56   Re: Game-coin.com billing
Reply With Quote #26

Quote:
However some other things I have setup for VIPs would be nice if they could be automated, that's all I'm saying.
Well, if your VIP plugins do not disrupt the gameplay, feel free to PM me for help with integrating them with the Game-coin API.

Last edited by mad_hamster; 10-21-2011 at 19:57.
sinblaster
Grim Reaper
Old 10-21-2011 , 20:34   Re: Game-coin.com billing
Reply With Quote #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad_hamster View Post
I did have PayPal support. Then I removed it. There are too many horror stories floating around regarding PayPal; their customer service is non-existent; their various websites are in a state of mess; they impose various arbitrary restrictions on merchants; they freeze accounts for no reason; and the list goes on.
99% of these horror stories are because people abuse the system, in which case they deserve whatever PayPal deals them.

Looks like you have worked hard. It's very impressive. GJ. Personally i feel that it's enough people have to pay ridiculous prices for a game in the first place without having to to be charged ongoing fee's in the second. I run servers because its fun. Its a way to give back to the community. I find it parasitic when any server throws a bill at you, pay to win, admin status or otherwise. So many servers out there I can't see anyone paying.
Donations work and it lets a server owner know that the work put in is appreciated.

Having said all that, I still think its an incredible effort on your behalf. I'm impressed.

Antithasys
Old 10-22-2011 , 00:24   Re: Game-coin.com billing
Reply With Quote #28

Plugin threads are more or less development threads. This guy obviously put a lot of thought and work into this plugin. If you don't agree with the idea of it, just move on. If you do, use it and post some feedback!

@mad_hamster - very impressive and a nice alternative to just asking for donations like 99.9% of the servers out there.

When you think about asking a question... consider what have you tried?
sinblaster
Grim Reaper
Old 10-22-2011 , 02:07   Re: Game-coin.com billing
Reply With Quote #29

People need to be able to share opinions freely. This is how projects are driven and curbed. If a person believes that a certain direction another person may be taking is possibly detrimental to the future of something they hold to be important (in their opinion) a person should be able to freely express that opinion.

As I mentioned above I agree this is very impressive, I also believe it to be detrimental to CSS/Tf2 etc

mad_hamster
Old 10-22-2011 , 06:44   Re: Game-coin.com billing
Reply With Quote #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antithasys View Post
@mad_hamster - very impressive and a nice alternative to just asking for donations like 99.9% of the servers out there.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinblaster View Post
As I mentioned above I agree this is very impressive, I also believe it to be detrimental to CSS/Tf2 etc
I don't think pay-to-play servers are going to come at the expense of free servers. If at all, they will open up a new market and increase the number of players.

For example, I personally started this project after having been actively looking for high-quality pay-to-play servers. I like to play an hour or two per day when I come back from work, and was looking for a server that:
  • Is high-capacity (28+ players)
  • Is high-performance (no chokes, lags & packet loss)
  • Is well-moderated; few cheaters and griefers
  • Without kids yelling and cursing
  • With a strong sense of community
  • Where I can have fun with guys my age (24-40)

Since I work, I would gladly pay, say, 10$/month to have access to such a server. To my surprise, I couldn't find one. Hence Game-coin.

Last edited by mad_hamster; 10-22-2011 at 07:11.