Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

[request] Queue server

Post New Thread Reply   

PauliusBa
Old 05-05-2010 , 11:56   [request] Queue server
Reply With Quote #1

There could be a cvar so that automatically redirected players would automatically be put into a queue with a special question when their turn comes:
There is a free slot on the server you tried to join.
1. Join it now
2. Leave me here
3. Move me to the end of the queue and ask later

Last edited by PauliusBa; 05-06-2010 at 17:26.
xOR
Veteran Member
Old 05-08-2010 , 09:10   Re: [request] Queue server
Reply With Quote #2

[||____________________________] <-- usefulness of this feature
[||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||] <-- effort needed to do it

the current feature already notifies the player in his HUD that he can just write /retry to get into the queue and be redirected to where he came from.
so the player can already do all this if he wants to, just that he is not actively encouraged to do this.
which i think is a bad idea - if he is happy with the redirection, why bug him to create an imbalance and join the other server that has more players again?
Old 05-10-2010 , 10:54   Re: [request] Queue server
Reply With Quote #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by xOR View Post
[||____________________________] <-- usefulness of this feature
[||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||] <-- effort needed to do it

the current feature already notifies the player in his HUD that he can just write /retry to get into the queue and be redirected to where he came from.
so the player can already do all this if he wants to, just that he is not actively encouraged to do this.
which i think is a bad idea - if he is happy with the redirection, why bug him to create an imbalance and join the other server that has more players again?
Some people are too dumb to read a HUD. If players should be encouraged..well, that would be up to servers' admins who can set the cvar.
The idea behind this is that, in my case, i only want to have a second server so that it would help keeping the first one absolutely full at all times. So that when the server is full, people get into an interesting CSDM queue for the first one so that there is less time first one has a real free slot and more time being absolutely full. People could still play in CSDM and they of course wouldn't get that encouragement to go back if they were not redirected in the first place, but connected directly.

I will talk about that reserved slots thing here too, since both things are about the same thing - keeping the server full..

I prefer already connected players not being transfered or touched at all - at a cost of increased maximum players at times (at which normal people can only disconnect) - if admins connect - that's why I would reserve at least 2 or more slots. I would only like people to be redirected if they connect to a full server, because being redirected while playing is in my opinion really disrespectful.

So idea is, there are 3 reserved slots., hideslots enabled, 21 slot srv. So 18/19 is "full".
18/19. e person connects: if without reservation flag, he gets redirected, if with, server becomes 19/20

19/20 - same story
20/21 - same story

21/21 - nor reserved slots can connect, nor plaers can be redirected anymore..

That's in many cases is okay, I have ~ 10 admins, and they hardly ever use up the 2 reserved slots. And nobody says you cant have more that 3 reserved slots. I do understand that in some situations, when there are a LOT of ppl with admin_reservation, redirecting existing people is the only way, but in other servers this can be easily avoided...that's why it should be of course cvar'ed...

You decide if that could be useful. I think that a lot of admins would benefit from such cvars.

Thanks for hearing me out.

Last edited by PauliusBa; 05-10-2010 at 11:10.