Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

Section Closure

Post New Thread Reply   

recon0
Veteran Member
Old 09-11-2010 , 14:47   Re: Section Closure
Reply With Quote #31

Very imaginative drama/trolling/spamming for the AM forums... Things are usually so civil here...

Now... /me picks up a flamethrower

Unlike most of the posts so far, I'm going to point out something else Kigen is probably trying to do, besides get everyone here to pay for his game servers.

By tying as much functionality as possible to the master server, he will eventually be able to cripple the plugin by making the master server unavailable. The goal from there is to charge people for access to the master server, which wouldn't even break the GPL.

Last edited by recon0; 09-11-2010 at 14:53.
thetwistedpanda
Good Little Panda
Old 09-11-2010 , 14:54   Re: Section Closure
Reply With Quote #32

At least someone else has the same idea as me, it's also why I refuse to use the network feature of KAC. To that end, I suppose I can support a non-networked version of KAC on these forums (with proper credits of course) since he's decided to leave AM, I just need to verify it with a moderator that it won't be breaking any rules.
Old 09-12-2010 , 22:51   Re: Section Closure
Reply With Quote #33

If you release it with source and credit where due, I don't see how it could break any rules.
Unless Kigen has some exclusivity clauses I'm not aware of.
or he's gonna feed all night.
recon0
Veteran Member
Old 09-12-2010 , 23:28   Re: Section Closure
Reply With Quote #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeys View Post
Unless Kigen has some exclusivity clauses I'm not aware of.
He can't. All SM plugins are licensed under the GPL, which allows panda to do whatever he wants as long as it's GPL compliant.
Old 09-13-2010 , 04:59   Re: Section Closure
Reply With Quote #35

I would say, go for it!

That way people can actually choose which version they want to use, and I know plenty are waiting for a non-networked version.

Last edited by Matthias Vance; 09-13-2010 at 05:09.
PStar
Veteran Member
Old 09-13-2010 , 08:06   Re: Section Closure
Reply With Quote #36

I think if you will do this rls Kigen would stop supporting SM version of the plugin and make a closed sourced stand alone version from it.
It is still stealing, if he is on the SM forums or not, just by graping the source cahnge 2 lines in it and release as if it was OK.... :/
psychonic

BAFFLED
Old 09-13-2010 , 08:16   Re: Section Closure
Reply With Quote #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by PStar View Post
I think if you will do this rls Kigen would stop supporting SM version of the plugin and make a closed sourced stand alone version from it.
It is still stealing, if he is on the SM forums or not, just by graping the source cahnge 2 lines in it and release as if it was OK.... :/
Actually, it's explicitly not stealing. (read the license)

Support for the current version on here has already had support cease (here). If someone else want to release and support a new version here then more power to them.

Kigen is free to continue supporting his version of it on his own site (or here) just as he is free to make a closed source MM:S version. Who cares?
thetwistedpanda
Good Little Panda
Old 09-13-2010 , 10:37   Re: Section Closure
Reply With Quote #38

All I'm doing is posting his code here for people to download, I don't think clients should have to visit another site to use his plugin, especially when his forums are quite unorganized and the information is outdated. There's no stealing, even if that was applicable under the GPL, as the source code is relatively unmodified (with exception to the network free version) and all proper credits have been retained.
Old 09-14-2010 , 00:10   Re: Section Closure
Reply With Quote #39

Please, read the license BEFORE you post.

As long as the GPL notices and author credits are retained,
you can modify (create a fork of) the work under the GPL. Furthermore, you are free to redistribute said modified work where ever you want, and to whoever you want, as long as the source code is included per the GPL.

Last edited by recon0; 09-14-2010 at 00:18.
clutchh
SourceMod Donor
Old 09-14-2010 , 23:24   Re: Section Closure
Reply With Quote #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetwistedpanda View Post
All I'm doing is posting his code here for people to download, I don't think clients should have to visit another site to use his plugin, especially when his forums are quite unorganized and the information is outdated. There's no stealing, even if that was applicable under the GPL, as the source code is relatively unmodified (with exception to the network free version) and all proper credits have been retained.
Please do so. His website is a mess and I would much rather come on here to download updates. I'm sure others would agree.