Raised This Month: $32 Target: $400
 8% 

View Poll Results: Will you use Steam on a Mac?
No! 167 74.55%
I will play Steam games. 20 8.93%
I will run dedicated servers. 5 2.23%
I will play games AND run servers. 32 14.29%
Voters: 224. You may not vote on this poll

Do you have a Mac?

Post New Thread Closed Thread   

pedrofranceschi
Old 03-16-2010 , 16:14   Re: Do you have a Mac?

Yeah! I have a Mac, and I'd like the SourcePawn compiler for Mac! Where can I find it? I can compile it here, but when I require some file, I got an error.

I hope you help me, Bailopan.

Thanks!
Bacardi
Veteran Member
Old 03-16-2010 , 16:22   Re: Do you have a Mac?

Hey guess what ? When this happen, we get more steam updates !! WO¨HOO
Neve ever endin updates <3
-999-
SourceMod Donor
Old 03-16-2010 , 18:12   Re: Do you have a Mac?

The question would be what would the benefit of it versus the amount of complexity/work it's going to require? To my knowledge, there aren't any gsp's that have Mac servers, and no larger tier providers I've dealt with (the planet, etc) offer dedicated Mac servers. So you'd basically be catering, to people who want to run servers out of their homes, on a Mac.

I'd say the negatives outweigh the positives. But then again I think porting Steam, etc, to the Mac is dumb in the first place.
Jamster
Veteran Member
Old 03-16-2010 , 18:27   Re: Do you have a Mac?

I can't believe people have voted down this thread. :\

Anyway, note that I hate to derail this a tiny bit but Valve are not doing the Mac stuff on a whim, the Mac share of the overall market now is growing pretty rapidly, hell, even EA games cater to it now (not as well as Valve is going to, granted). Valve are making their presence felt before the inevitable push eventually by Apple themselves into the games distribution field (Apple like owning everything themselves for their market).

To the thread though I think this is a "pan out and see" issue, if Valve make it so srcds will run on Mac then I think that's fair enough, it probably needs to be ported. Otherwise if it's just listen servers (i.e. done through the client) that Valve make only available I probably wouldn't bother unless it's really easy for the SM team.

I'd definitely like to see how Source games play on the Mac just for shits and giggles anyway. A lot of Mac gamers at the moment use boot camp or whatever just to play TF2 and stuff so I know many people happy by the news with Steam going native, so to speak.
BAILOPAN
Old 03-16-2010 , 19:48   Re: Do you have a Mac?

We're not really interested in the silly comments about the validity of Macs or using Macs. Three of the SM developers use them. Save your breath - if there's a Steam port, there will be a SourceMod port.

This poll is to estimate how much demand there will be. The results so far are actually better than I'd expect - a little higher than the market share of Macs in general. That's cool, and it's great if software is accessible to more platforms.

pedrofranceschi: Post a thread or bug report about what's not working, please. I am able to use spcomp on OS X.

SirLamer: Thank you for explaining to me that most people answering the poll don't run SourceMod on OS X, and then making wild assumptions based on no data. You deserve some sort of prize, but I'm all out. Sorry.

Last edited by BAILOPAN; 03-16-2010 at 19:52.
Mnkras
Old 03-16-2010 , 20:26   Re: Do you have a Mac?

Personally i play the graphic intensive games on my PC but L4D isn't that graphic intensive, so i guess im going to play, Since Mac is unix it shouldn't take to much work to bundle the linux distro.
Old 03-16-2010 , 21:02   Re: Do you have a Mac?

Munra: We are assuming clients will have the ability to create listen servers. We don't know if there will be dedicated servers - I sure hope so!

Like everything with Valve, we'll play it by ear. There's no reason to assume anything from them will exist until it's in your hands.
Old 03-16-2010 , 22:49   Re: Do you have a Mac?

I don't own a mac, but I do know of a couple of people that will use Steam on mac. If Steam and Source get ported to Linux I'd get rid of my Windows partition altogether.
EHG
Old 03-17-2010 , 10:05   Re: Do you have a Mac?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacardi View Post
Never MAC...
soreloser
Old 03-17-2010 , 10:21   Re: Do you have a Mac?

hell YES!
Closed Thread