Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

GREAT FPS HUNT (or whatever, but it's really exciting)

Post New Thread Reply   

The Solid lad
Old 11-01-2018 , 00:31   GREAT FPS HUNT (or whatever, but it's really exciting)
Reply With Quote #1

I don't know whether or not you've encountered this phenomenon, but when you have an fps of approximately over 1150-1200 in a source engine game (css in this example), the game will start glitching out on you.
It will start to stutter and will be pretty much unplayable, until your fps drops below 1150 or so.
Also, the fps counter in the net_graph will cap out at 1249, even if you have 2000+ fps, which shadowplay's counter displays without a problem.

This is very inconvenient for me, since I aim much better with an uncapped framerate, but I have an i7 8700k which most of the time produces above 1150 fps in CS:S.
Playing counter strike source, I have two options:
1, Setting an fps cap and performing badly ingame.
2, Underclocking my CPU whenever I want to play CS:S to avoid getting too much fps.

I have accepted these facts a long time ago... UP RECENTLY!
When I was casually testing sourcemod plugins on my community server and I set fps_max 0 in my (client) console before connecting to it, and BAM.
2000+ fps on dust2, no stutter, butter smooth game, and the fps counter in net_graph displayed the correct fps for the first time ever!

Luckily I've made a video about it, and I'll leave the link below.
I wasn't this hyped about this, or even focused on it at the time of recording, because I thought that I somehow managed to configure my server in a way that permits this behaviour permanently... I was wrong.
No matter what I did the next day with the server files or my own client config, I couldn't replicate the situation.
But it must be replicable...somehow.

I've searched the internet to no avail... there's very few forum posts which even mention the high fps glitching of source, and none (that I could find), talking about how it can be fixed.
Is there a fix which I accidentally did on that day when the net_graph showed the correct fps even above 1249, and the game was perfectly smooth?

Link to the video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aP9SSncAOKk