Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

Concept: Project base

Post New Thread Reply   

Greyscale
SourceMod Plugin Approver
Old 03-26-2010 , 20:11   Re: Concept: Project base
Reply With Quote #21

I'm guessing that last error is related to the translations problem.

Where did you get the project.inc from? Don't use anything in this thread, it's most likely out-dated. The project.inc I'm looking at doesn't refer to TRANSLATIONS_MANAGER anywhere (although I remember fixing that problem earlier)

So make sure you're using the correct project.inc file.

You can create your own events in your code (without editting eventmanager.inc)
Check out project_events.inc and thats where all the event code is, that is free game to add to.

Events may be added later for each game, but isn't a priority right now. It's a boring job.
Old 03-27-2010 , 08:42   Re: Concept: Project base
Reply With Quote #22

i use the default branch ...

should i use project-dev branch?
rhelgeby
Veteran Member
Old 03-27-2010 , 12:10   Re: Concept: Project base
Reply With Quote #23

Yes, use project-dev. The default repository is way out of date and not in use anymore.

Zombie:Reloaded | PawnUnit | Object Library
(Please don't send private messages for support, they will be ignored. Use the forum.)
Send a message via MSN to rhelgeby
Chanz
Veteran Member
Old 11-14-2010 , 07:53   Re: Concept: Project base
Reply With Quote #24

Is this project still supported? I'd like to recode a big plugin and like to use this system.

Thank you for donations: [ Paypal ]

Video Tutorial (German): [ Gameserver & SourceMod Plugins mit HLSW verwalten ]
rhelgeby
Veteran Member
Old 11-14-2010 , 16:54   Re: Concept: Project base
Reply With Quote #25

Yes, and I think it's getting more or less ready for use (the "project-dev" repository, not "default"). Though there are no documentation other than stuff mentioned in this thread. You have to ask us if you need help.

Our ZR plugin has the most up to date examples available, in zr-dev-base. They might give some inspiration on how to structure and handle various stuff.

I also have some draft documents that might help (though they are incomplete):

SourceMod Plugin Base Project
Zombie:Reloaded Class Manager - Explains the concept of a managing module with several sub-modules that communicate with the manager.

The basic concept is to have one trigger event (OnPluginStart) sent to components. In that event, modules register themself in the module manager, and create/hook events they need.

I'm not yet 100% happy with the way logging and module administration commands are implemented, so this part might change.

(Please don't send private messages for support, they will be ignored. Use the forum.)

Last edited by rhelgeby; 07-26-2011 at 12:53.
Chanz
Veteran Member
Old 11-14-2010 , 18:05   Re: Concept: Project base
Reply With Quote #26

thanks that helps a lot

Some questions ahead:
  • Can I use project base for hl2:dm too, since I saw many functions that are only for CSS?
  • Are those modules shareable, if yes I bet you can share it, based on what it can and as long the author watched to make it game independent right?

thx

Last edited by Chanz; 11-14-2010 at 18:12.
rhelgeby
Veteran Member
Old 11-14-2010 , 19:03   Re: Concept: Project base
Reply With Quote #27

The project base should be mod independent and should be able to run anywhere SourceMod can run.

Modules can be shared (copy-pasted) across plugins that use the same (compatible) base. If they are generic and mod independent they don't need any extra modification during porting. But the main idea is that you can easily import features from other plugins that's also using this base (only ZR and THC RPG at the moment). Say you want ZR's teleport feature, you just copy that module into your plugin and it should work. During time, more modules will be developed that plugins can use.

A drawback with this system is that the very same module can't be shared across different plugins. In addition, all plugins using this base will have their own version. I don't know how this affect performance since we haven't been able to do proper profiling tests yet. The ideal solution might be to let each module be a real plugin that communicate with management plugins.

Chanz
Veteran Member
Old 11-14-2010 , 19:25   Re: Concept: Project base
Reply With Quote #28

Ok the 'individual plugin for a module' solution shouldn't be that much of a problem, since you could easily create natives (on both sides) and then call it at will?

What I mean is if you use this method of using modules, takes it long to recode? Since when I start my project and then need to recode some modules for the new project base, I don't want to stick with it for days or weeks.

If its difficult I rather wait until PB is as you want it and start my project then.

FaTony
Veteran Member
Old 11-15-2010 , 02:50   Re: Concept: Project base
Reply With Quote #29

Why not developing plugins as collection of stocks in .incs and only wrapper around them in .sp?
Old 11-15-2010 , 05:10   Re: Concept: Project base
Reply With Quote #30

That's almost what this project base does. It's sort of a sub-plugin environment where modules are feature-plugins. It just makes a common structure/framework across plugin so it's easier for developers to share and implement stuff.

This project is also experimental, but we'll still use it in our ZR plugin and modify the base to suit our needs. Recoding might take some time if you're both learning and eventually redesigning features while converting.

Waiting for this project base to be finished won't help much either, since we doesn't always have time to work on it. Either go for it, or don't. However, it does work once you get stuff converted.