Raised This Month: $32 Target: $400
 8% 

[TF2] Preventing lag by precaching weapon models

Post New Thread Reply   

Steveh
Old 09-15-2014 , 02:22   [TF2] Preventing lag by precaching weapon models
Reply With Quote #1

Hi,

Lately, one of my plugins I've been writing has been getting a lot of lag due to a recent TF2 update which adds the following:
Quote:
Improved client memory usage by updating weapon models to only be loaded on demand
Full update link

Due to this happening mid-game, it's causing lag for clients in the server at the time.

To fix this, I was going to precache all weapon models in `OnMapStart`, but I was wanting a second opinion - incase anyone knew a better workaround.

Thanks,
Steveh
Powerlord
AlliedModders Donor
Old 09-15-2014 , 09:09   Re: [TF2] Preventing lag by precaching weapon models
Reply With Quote #2

I came up with the same conclusion about what was causing the lag. Unfortunately I don't know a better workaround.

Here's hoping Valve will just fix it on the server today instead so we don't have to worry about it.

Last edited by Powerlord; 09-15-2014 at 10:48. Reason: Reworded to flow better.
Requiesta
Old 09-15-2014 , 10:49   Re: [TF2] Preventing lag by precaching weapon models
Reply With Quote #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerlord View Post
I came up with the same conclusion about what was causing the lag. Unfortunately I don't know a better workaround.

Here's hoping Valve will just fix it on the server today instead so we don't have to worry about it.
So it would remove the lag or wouldn't?

Check out my YouTube Channel.
VoiDeD
AlliedModders Donor
Old 09-15-2014 , 13:30   Re: [TF2] Preventing lag by precaching weapon models
Reply With Quote #4

I can't help but feel that this thread is grasping at straws. I'm fairly certain the dynamic model loader is intended to load content off the main thread on both the client and server. Valve simply enabled it for weapon models where it had previously only been enabled for wearables.

I don't recall anyone complaining about "lag" when hat models get loaded.

Supposedly many other people are encountering "lag" with the update to SM 1.6, but apparently nobody is competent enough to do any profiling to figure out the root cause. If you are getting hitches, do the SM team a favor and actually profile to find the root cause instead of making WAGs.

Last edited by VoiDeD; 09-15-2014 at 13:32.
Powerlord
AlliedModders Donor
Old 09-15-2014 , 14:03   Re: [TF2] Preventing lag by precaching weapon models
Reply With Quote #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoiDeD View Post
I can't help but feel that this thread is grasping at straws. I'm fairly certain the dynamic model loader is intended to load content off the main thread on both the client and server. Valve simply enabled it for weapon models where it had previously only been enabled for wearables.

I don't recall anyone complaining about "lag" when hat models get loaded.
I haven't ruled out other sources, but I can tell you explicitly that it happens the first time a player spawns. I haven't done more in-depth testing to see exactly what causes it or if it goes away on a stock server. However, I can tell you it happens on multiple servers with different configurations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoiDeD View Post
Supposedly many other people are encountering "lag" with the update to SM 1.6, but apparently nobody is competent enough to do any profiling to figure out the root cause. If you are getting hitches, do the SM team a favor and actually profile to find the root cause instead of making WAGs.
I don't know about other lag, but the lag being discussed in this conversation appeared when upgrading from TF2 previous version / MM:S 1.10.2 / SM 1.6.2-git4558 to TF2 version 2395700 (the current version) / MM:S 1.10.3-git913 / SM 1.6.2-git4562.
AlliedModders Donor
Old 09-15-2014 , 16:04   Re: [TF2] Preventing lag by precaching weapon models
Reply With Quote #6

How would one do a SM profiling?
Getting a lot of lag spikes on my CSGO server, so I could do it there.
Veteran Member
Old 09-15-2014 , 21:36   Re: [TF2] Preventing lag by precaching weapon models
Reply With Quote #7

I believe this is also responsible for fixing mvm crashing issues. Mine used to crash every 2-4 hours. Now they dont crash... Ever.

Probably a combination of other things not being precached as well. I used to get this lag problem, but deleting all of my .cache files on my client fixed it, along with disabling multicore rendering.