Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

Server Type Required

Post New Thread Reply   

durangod
Old 08-21-2016 , 22:01   Server Type Required
Reply With Quote #1

Hi,

I am currently looking at a Intel Core i7-2600K with 16GB of ram and a 1TB sata.

My plan is to move all my webstuf including my websites, cpanel, apache, plus use part of it to install my games so that i can use part of it for a game server for my players. And Teamspeak as well.

Is that going to be enough machine for this?
I suspect ill have to either partition it off or set up a few VPS on it so that i can keep the gaming side and website side separate.

Do i need more ram to do this, should i go with 32GB and 2TB sata?
Maybe an AMD would be better?

Just had a thought, will this require me to run linux/apache on one side of the server and windows (for gaming) on the other side of the server?

Thanks ;)

Last edited by durangod; 08-21-2016 at 22:20.
DarkDeviL
SourceMod Moderator
Old 08-21-2016 , 22:32   Re: Server Type Required
Reply With Quote #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by durangod View Post
I am currently looking at a Intel Core i7-2600K with 16GB of ram and a 1TB sata.
Depending on what you want to do, that should be enough for most purposes.

I used to run 4 game servers at a such machine, only 4 as I don't like to "overload" things and cause negative impact on performance. I prefer less servers - but quality, rather than I prefer 200 servers that are constantly lagging.

The game you want to run may also be able to make a difference.

Quote:
My plan is to move all my webstuf including my websites, cpanel, apache, plus use part of it to install my games so that i can use part of it for a game server for my players. And Teamspeak as well.
Loading Apache (or any other web server programs) on the same physical machine as your game server(s) is nasty.

TeamSpeak are usually a great target of DDoS attacks, so you might also want to keep that separate, or ensure that you have a very good DDoS protection included.

Quote:
Is that going to be enough machine for this?
It most likely will, but I would still keep web traffic totally separate from game traffic.

Quote:
I suspect ill have to either partition it off or set up a few VPS on it so that i can keep the gaming side and website side separate.
You can at least try to separate things that way, and there are of course chances that you can get good results.

Chances are also that a such virtualization layer would eat up resources, where you would be more satisfied with a cheap low end VPS for your site, and only the gaming on the "big" box.

Quote:
Do i need more ram to do this, should i go with 32GB and 2TB sata?
I wouldn't count much on the memory, more on the disk space. Is 1 TB enough? Go for that one.

Quote:
Maybe an AMD would be better?
AMD vs Intel is going to be a flame war, just like Linux vs Windows vs Mac, so I won't comment on what would be better than the other.

Personally though, I'm a big fan of Intel.

Quote:
Just had a thought, will this require me to run apache on one side of the server and windows (for gaming) on the other side of the server?
Based on what you've said so far, I would just run Linux all the way.

Quote:
Thanks ;)
You're welcome. :-).

Dropbox FastDL: Public folder will no longer work after March 15, 2017!
For more info, see the [SRCDS Thread], or the [HLDS Thread].
durangod
Old 08-21-2016 , 22:50   Re: Server Type Required
Reply With Quote #3

Thanks so much for the info..

Games will be CSGO, ARMAIII, FistFullofFrags, and possibly BF1 (not release yet) + Teamspeak which will be private and secured. There is a video by tuts teach i always watch every time i set a TS up. And i will also have the DDOS protection as well set up.

Web side will be cpanel, linux, apache, centOS, a WHMCS developement site area, a Oxwall developement site area, a SkaDate developement site area, and a main business website. I am on shared hosting now and they dont allow ffmpeg so i will want to add that too the server as well, i need it for testing products only. The web side will not be heavily used as in resources. But the game side will, well i hope it will

Also great advice on the separation of them, instead of one big one, i might go with two smaller ones for about the same price.

Last edited by durangod; 08-21-2016 at 22:58.
durangod
Old 08-22-2016 , 02:17   Re: Server Type Required
Reply With Quote #4

i got em thanks again so much
Old 08-22-2016 , 10:42   Re: Server Type Required
Reply With Quote #5

one more question please, do i need to register my server host name or is that just for certs..? I dont remember if i registered my host name or not last time i had a server. I have the base domain its just the hostname for the server im asking about.

thanks

Last edited by durangod; 08-22-2016 at 10:43.