Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

Solved "Post" suffix - what's the difference??? (TraceAttack vs TraceAttackPost)

Post New Thread Reply   

jlp1528
Old 10-13-2017 , 15:23   "Post" suffix - what's the difference??? (TraceAttack vs TraceAttackPost)
Reply With Quote #1

I have my suspicions as to the answer of this question, but would like some clarification. Currently I am reworking a suicide bomber plugin for Insurgency and using TraceAttack to get damage types and hitgroups. I would also like to use it to detect if you killed the bomber by comparing the damage done to him vs his health *before he was hit* for the "explode on death" chance. However, in testing, damage returned some ridiculous number. Yes, it was a headshot, but it was still stupidly high, like millions, clearly not the correct damage that was *actually* done. Would using TraceAttackPost instead return the *actual damage done* accurately? If not, what is the difference with the "Post" suffix? I see this on OnTakeDamage (which I used to use until I discovered TraceAttack) and other things as well...

Last edited by jlp1528; 10-18-2017 at 18:40.
NgBUCKWANGS
Old 10-13-2017 , 15:57   Re: "Post" suffix - what's the difference??? (TraceAttack vs TraceAttackPost)
Reply With Quote #2

TrackAttackPost comes after TraceAttack. It should be the very next thing to fire. It's up to you and what you're doing to figure it out but anything Post should literally fire right after anything else of the same name. You need to experiment to understand it but keep this in mind and you shouldn't be completely in the dark about it.
Powerlord
AlliedModders Donor
Old 10-13-2017 , 15:59   Re: "Post" suffix - what's the difference??? (TraceAttack vs TraceAttackPost)
Reply With Quote #3

As a general rule, you use the normal or Pre version if you need to change something and/or block something from happening. You use the Post version if you just need to know when it successfully occurred.

OnTakeDamage also has a third version, OnTakeDamageAlive which happens after damage adjustments have been done (armor in CSS/CSGO, critical hits in TF2) but before the damage is actually dealt. The Pre version of OnTakeDamage is before damage adjustment has happened.

Last edited by Powerlord; 10-13-2017 at 16:02.
jlp1528
Old 10-13-2017 , 16:15   Re: "Post" suffix - what's the difference??? (TraceAttack vs TraceAttackPost)
Reply With Quote #4

Okay, further testing revealed that post made no difference, but somehow it worked correctly anyway, despite the damage being reported incorrectly in a debug chat message. I'll just use the normal version in case I decide to modify anything. I doubt I will, but I guess you never know.

Great that I can use this one function in conjunction with others inside to do literally anything I want with checking damage type, amount, and hitgroup!
Powerlord
AlliedModders Donor
Old 10-13-2017 , 16:41   Re: "Post" suffix - what's the difference??? (TraceAttack vs TraceAttackPost)
Reply With Quote #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlp1528 View Post
Okay, further testing revealed that post made no difference, but somehow it worked correctly anyway, despite the damage being reported incorrectly in a debug chat message. I'll just use the normal version in case I decide to modify anything. I doubt I will, but I guess you never know.

Great that I can use this one function in conjunction with others inside to do literally anything I want with checking damage type, amount, and hitgroup!
Were you trying to print it using the wrong type? If you try to print a float using %d or %i, you'll get a number that is way off.

Last edited by Powerlord; 10-13-2017 at 16:41.
jlp1528
Old 10-13-2017 , 16:48   Re: "Post" suffix - what's the difference??? (TraceAttack vs TraceAttackPost)
Reply With Quote #6

LOL, oops, yeah, tried %d. So %f?
Papero
Veteran Member
Old 10-14-2017 , 16:08   Re: "Post" suffix - what's the difference??? (TraceAttack vs TraceAttackPost)
Reply With Quote #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlp1528 View Post
LOL, oops, yeah, tried %d. So %f?
Use %d/%i to print out 'int' values and %f (or %.xf where x are the numbers after the '.') to print out 'float' values

Steam: hexer504
Telegram: Hexah
Discord: Hexah#6903

If you like my work you can donate here!