Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

How to use anycast ip with CSGO ?

Post New Thread Reply   

RealEdan
Old 12-30-2019 , 05:35   Re: How to use anycast ip with CSGO ?
Reply With Quote #11

Here is a great read regarding Anycast, put together by John, my good friend ;) / CEO of NFOServers

https://forums.nfoservers.com/viewto...03e9406#p76971
Old 12-30-2019 , 08:53   Re: How to use anycast ip with CSGO ?
Reply With Quote #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealEdan View Post
Here is a great read regarding Anycast, put together by John, my good friend ;) / CEO of NFOServers

https://forums.nfoservers.com/viewto...03e9406#p76971

TLDR: Anycast doesn't apply to game servers that are hosted by the public.
abhishek_deshkar
Old 12-30-2019 , 12:17   Re: How to use anycast ip with CSGO ?
Reply With Quote #13

I have already told you guys that Anycast works with game servers. I have been using it for my Counter-Strike 1.6 servers.

Let's not get into Anycast IP concept.

I'm looking to hide my main IP. Is is possible to have multiple ips to one servers ?

Or multiple ports to one server ?
asdfxD
Veteran Member
Old 12-30-2019 , 12:24   Re: How to use anycast ip with CSGO ?
Reply With Quote #14

1.6 is different than csgo. in css and 1.6 you can use simply server hop plugins to hop between servers which works fine, in csgo it doesn't for example.
abhishek_deshkar
Old 12-30-2019 , 12:27   Re: How to use anycast ip with CSGO ?
Reply With Quote #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdfxD View Post
1.6 is different than csgo. in css and 1.6 you can use simply server hop plugins to hop between servers which works fine, in csgo it doesn't for example.
What kind of plugin ?
DarkDeviL
SourceMod Moderator
Old 12-30-2019 , 20:38   Re: How to use anycast ip with CSGO ?
Reply With Quote #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek_deshkar View Post
I'm looking to hide my main IP. Is is possible to have multiple ips to one servers ?
First of all: Please get out of your dreams with "hiding IP addresses", as that is not *really* what you want, and not anything you can really do anyway.

CS:GO can only use one IP address at a time, so you need to configure your game server to use the so-called "anycast IP".

You also need to make sure that your "VPS" is always routing your game server's OUTBOUND traffic (such as traffic towards the Steam network, heartbeats and GSLT related stuff) out via the anycast IP address, at the very moment where it goes out from the main IP address, you will have the issues where it will not work.

Unless Steam network sees your traffic from the "anycast IP address", Steam will not let users connect to it. Steam believes the IP it sees as the origin of your game server's request(s) are the one your server has.

Most of it can (most often) be done using various firewall rules, but which exact rules you need to apply, will depend very much on the underlying set up, which you haven't shared a single fact about.
  • Run "ip a" and/or "/sbin/ifconfig" (or any similar command showing all the network interfaces of your VPS and it's IP addresses):
    • Do you see both your regular public IP and the anycast IP in the list?
    • ... Or do you see one or more local (192.168.x, 10.x, 172.16.x towards 172.31.x) IP addresses?
    • ... ... or both?
    • Are all your IP addresses attached towards same interface, or are there multiple interfaces, one holding each?
    • ...?

PHP Code:
iptables -t mangle -A OUTPUT -m owner --uid-owner darkdevil -s 203.0.113.251 -j ACCEPT
iptables 
-t mangle -A OUTPUT -m owner --uid-owner darkdevil -j DROP 
Should only allow the user "darkdevil" on the system to go outbound through 203.0.113.251, anything else will be dropped.

But that also means that the user "darkdevil" will be forced to run over the "anycast IP" to e.g. download new game updates from Steam, which might not be that optimal (or even work) after all.

The more complicated your provider's set up is, the more complicated your own local set up needs to be, in order to (eventually) be able to make it work, ... if you're ever getting it to work at all.

Dropbox FastDL: Public folder will no longer work after March 15, 2017!
For more info, see the [SRCDS Thread], or the [HLDS Thread].

Last edited by DarkDeviL; 12-30-2019 at 20:40.