Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

failed to dlopen cstrike/addons/metamod/bin/linux64/server.so

Post New Thread Reply   

Jawesome99
Old 04-13-2024 , 22:27   failed to dlopen cstrike/addons/metamod/bin/linux64/server.so
Reply With Quote #1

Hello folks, unfortunately a Google and Forum search haven't brought me very far, so I'm creating a post here.

I'm attempting to install Metamod and SourceMod into my CS:S server, however, when loading the server I get the following error:

Code:
server_srv.so loaded for "Counter-Strike: Source"
 failed to dlopen /home/emosewaj/gs/cs-source/cstrike/addons/metamod/bin/server.so error=/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libm.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.29' not found (required by /home/emosewaj/gs/cs-source/cstrike/addons/metamod/bin/server.so)
Now, this error seems quite similar to one of the common issues listed on the installation guide:

Quote:
  • An error indicating that it could not be loaded because "/path/to/server_install/bin/libgcc_s.so.1: version `GCC_7.0.0` not found (required by /some_system_path_to/libstdc++.so.6". This is because Valve ships their own copies of those libraries. As modern systems will have newer versions, you can safely delete the listed file from the server install. Do not delete the file in the system path (usually "lib" or "lib32").
However, since the indicated file in the server install is "metamod/bin/server.so" I probably shouldn't delete that one.

I also tried running the "apt install gcc-multilib" command listed in the solution below this one, however my system already has the latest version of that package installed.

I'm running this on a dedicated Linux server running Debian 10 with amd64 architecture.

I'm not really sure how to continue, any help would be greatly appreciated!
tschumann
Old 04-14-2024 , 04:29   Re: failed to dlopen cstrike/addons/metamod/bin/linux64/server.so
Reply With Quote #2

I might be wrong but I think I've had a similar issue - I think SteamCMD comes packaged with its own outdated version of libstdc++ - if you delete it from somewhere in the SteamCMD directory and try again it should hopefully work.
Jawesome99
Old 04-14-2024 , 17:07   Re: failed to dlopen cstrike/addons/metamod/bin/linux64/server.so
Reply With Quote #3

I'm not quite sure what file(s) I should specifically be looking for, I checked for any file containing "libgcc" system wide and didn't find any paths mentioning SteamCMD, nor the CS:S game folder, only my CS:GO and GMod have a libgcc_s.so.1 each (and other system paths of course).
Jawesome99
Old 04-20-2024 , 15:24   Re: failed to dlopen cstrike/addons/metamod/bin/linux64/server.so
Reply With Quote #4

To anyone stumbling upon this thread in search of an answer:

My issue is that my server OS, Debian 10 "Buster", doesn't officially support glibc 2.29, only up to 2.28. I've read elsewhere that careless upgrading via building from source is dangerous, as the OS "heavily depends on the correct version of glibc being present." So as to not break anything, my solution is upgrading the operating system to Debian 12 "Bookworm."

Last edited by Jawesome99; 04-20-2024 at 15:24.