Raised This Month: $12 Target: $400
 3% 

HLDS Windows 10 FPS drop

Post New Thread Reply   

freak716
Old 09-05-2017 , 00:12   HLDS Windows 10 FPS drop
Reply With Quote #1

Hello guys,

I had a excellent server configured (steam only) in Windows 7 where the server FPS were 1000.
After I updated my OS to windows 10 and started same server I noted an FPS drop from 1000 to 500-400.

My server config is the same from Windows 7.

Players told me that the server performance is not the same. (I guess because of the FPS drop)
Could you please tell me whats happening and what can I do?

Thanks.

Last edited by freak716; 10-02-2017 at 11:53.
eQuzit0r
Old 09-05-2017 , 06:51   Re: HLDS Windows 10
Reply With Quote #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by freak716 View Post
Hello guys,

I had a excellent server configured (steam only) in Windows 7 where the server FPS were 1000.
After I updated my OS to windows 10 and started same server I noted an FPS drop from 1000 to 500-400.

My sys_ticrate is "10000". I tried to put it in "1000" but same results: 500-400 FPS.

Players told me that the server performance is not the same.

Thanks.
Help me to create server 😄
WhiteFang1319
Old 09-05-2017 , 07:19   Re: HLDS Windows 10
Reply With Quote #3

Open Windows Media Player and leave it in background, this will boost some fps and also add -pingboost 3 parameter to your server commandline.
freak716
Old 09-05-2017 , 15:18   Re: HLDS Windows 10
Reply With Quote #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by eQuzit0r View Post
Help me to create server 😄
Man just download steamcmd and follow steps in their page ;)
Old 09-05-2017 , 15:18   Re: HLDS Windows 10
Reply With Quote #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteFang1319 View Post
Open Windows Media Player and leave it in background, this will boost some fps and also add -pingboost 3 parameter to your server commandline.
Hmmm that sounds kind of weird, let me try it.
Old 09-06-2017 , 06:33   Re: HLDS Windows 10
Reply With Quote #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by freak716 View Post
Hello guys,

My sys_ticrate is "10000". I tried to put it in "1000" but same results: 500-400 FPS.

Players told me that the server performance is not the same.

Thanks.
Lol Don't use this type of OS for hosting game servers .

If you want to host from Winodows OS then try these : (will suggest u : Windows Server 2016)

Windows Server 2016
Windows Server 2012
Windows Server 2012
Windows Server 2008

I would recommend you to not to use Normal Window's OS for hosting purpose , they are built for home use and some kind of official use , not for hosting.
Black Rose
Veteran Member
Old 09-06-2017 , 13:38   Re: HLDS Windows 10
Reply With Quote #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by xExperienced View Post

If you want to host from Winodows OS then try these : (will suggest u : Windows Server 2016)

Windows Server 2016
Windows Server 2012
Windows Server 2012
Windows Server 2008

I would recommend you to not to use Normal Window's OS for hosting purpose , they are built for home use and some kind of official use , not for hosting.
Really? I can understand that it may be easier to manage a server version of windows and it comes with other functionalities that makes it easy to integrate for example exchange and similar software into a company infrastructure but would it really affect the raw performance of a 3d party application? I find that really hard to believe. I mean, these are basic CPU operations which I assume bypasses the operating system, at least at a version specific level. If so, why can't this logic be applied on games as well? Then everyone should have Windows Server because it "unlocks the potential of the hardware". That's just weird. But please do explain if I have mistunderstood.
I'm not saying there isn't an issue in the operating system that has to be corrected, I just find it hard to believe that the server version of windows is the only solution to that problem.
aron9forever
Veteran Member
Old 09-06-2017 , 14:44   Re: HLDS Windows 10
Reply With Quote #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Rose View Post
Really? I can understand that it may be easier to manage a server version of windows and it comes with other functionalities that makes it easy to integrate for example exchange and similar software into a company infrastructure but would it really affect the raw performance of a 3d party application? I find that really hard to believe. I mean, these are basic CPU operations which I assume bypasses the operating system, at least at a version specific level. If so, why can't this logic be applied on games as well? Then everyone should have Windows Server because it "unlocks the potential of the hardware". That's just weird. But please do explain if I have mistunderstood.
I'm not saying there isn't an issue in the operating system that has to be corrected, I just find it hard to believe that the server version of windows is the only solution to that problem.
lol thats stupid HLDS probably runs best on either XP or server 2003

@OP the windows media tip is supposed to unlock the system's timer up to 1000hz, but again this is a tip from the XP days so it might not do anything on 10
useless small optimizations
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Rose View Post
On a map that is 512x512x128 units you end up with 3,355,443,200,000 different "positions". To store each one of those positions individually in the variable "user_or" you need 12 terabytes of memory.
freak716
Old 09-18-2017 , 14:00   Re: HLDS Windows 10
Reply With Quote #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by xExperienced View Post

Windows Server 2016
Windows Server 2012
Windows Server 2012
Windows Server 2008

I dont think that I need a Server OS environment to run just HLDS :/ why should I need SMTP? IIS? POP3 services? lol xD

but anyway thanks for your suggestion
Old 09-18-2017 , 14:01   Re: HLDS Windows 10
Reply With Quote #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by aron9forever View Post
lol thats stupid HLDS probably runs best on either XP or server 2003

@OP the windows media tip is supposed to unlock the system's timer up to 1000hz, but again this is a tip from the XP days so it might not do anything on 10
Tried that but I think that this only works in Windows XP