8% 

smx version compatibility

Post New Thread Reply   

Dragokas
Veteran Member
Old 03-21-2018 , 13:32   smx version compatibility
Reply With Quote #1

Hi,

I have some smx plugins build with 1.7.3 compiler (some of them currently without source code).

1) Can I expect theoretically some problems after moving server to 1.8 / 1.9 without plugins re-compilation? In what cases, e.g. ?

2) What compiler version is used when I use online version: https://www.sourcemod.net/compiler.php ?

and vice versa:

3) If I compiled plugin in 1.8 or 1.9 (and that plugin doesn't use 1.8+ functionality/includes; only 1.7.3-),
is it possible plugin will work incorrectly in server with SM v1.7.3 ?

Thanks.

Last edited by Dragokas; 03-21-2018 at 13:45.
Fyren
FyrenFyrenFyrenFyrenFyren FyrenFyrenFyrenFyrenFyren FyrenFyrenFyrenFyrenFyren FyrenFyrenFyrenFyrenFyren
Old 03-21-2018 , 16:40   Re: smx version compatibility
Reply With Quote #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragokas View Post
1) Can I expect theoretically some problems after moving server to 1.8 / 1.9 without plugins re-compilation? In what cases, e.g. ?
Generally things will work. There's a post about 1.8 becoming the stable branch in the news section. There will be a similar post about 1.9 when that happens. Right now, there's only the git history.

I don't think there are breaking changes since the 1.8 news post in either 1.8 or 1.9, though.

Quote:
2) What compiler version is used when I use online version: https://www.sourcemod.net/compiler.php ?
I think it's 1.7. It probably shows you the compiler output when you use it, which should have the version. If you want a newer version, you can use asherkin's spider: https://spider.limetech.io/

Quote:
3) If I compiled plugin in 1.8 or 1.9 (and that plugin doesn't use 1.8+ functionality/includes; only 1.7.3-), is it possible plugin will work incorrectly in server with SM v1.7.3 ?
We never guarantee you can load a plugin from a newer compiler will load on an older SM, but in practice anything compiled with 1.4+ can possibly load on 1.4. It doesn't matter if you use newer includes, only the functionality you actually use (though using the older includes is an easy way to ensure that).

Also, you can use methodmaps defined in the later includes on older versions of SM as long as they're really just calling existing/older natives.

Last edited by Fyren; 03-21-2018 at 16:43. Reason: note about methodmaps
Dragokas
Veteran Member
Old 03-22-2018 , 04:47   Re: smx version compatibility
Reply With Quote #3

Fyren, understood.

Quote:
I think it's 1.7. It probably shows you the compiler output when you use it, which should have the version.
Yea, you are right. It's 1.7.1.
Quote:
Also, you can use methodmaps defined in the later includes on older versions of SM as long as they're really just calling existing/older natives.
Ok, nice. It's convenient.

Thank you.