Raised This Month: $12 Target: $400
 3% 

New Translation Workflow

Post New Thread Reply   

Peace-Maker
SourceMod Plugin Approver
Old 03-29-2023 , 20:17   New Translation Workflow
Reply With Quote #1

Phrases for all languages have been moved into the repository and can be updated through pull requests.

The translation phrases used to be maintained by dedicated community volunteers through an online tool. While the tool worked well and served its purpose, it doesn't quite work with the current rolling release model. We couldn't add new phrases (looking at you, #597), since there was no process to gather translations and the existing solution saw little activity over the years. This led to rethinking how community translations are collected and resulted in putting the old translator tool down in favor of a Github Project tracking the progress.

With scheduled releases, it used to work like this: before publishing a release, the phrases were frozen and all translators asked to update the phrases. After they voted on the best translation for all phrases, they were exported and shipped with the next release. With a rolling release model, the 1.11-dev and master branches are always kept in a runnable state, so there is no time to stop and gather all translations before each commit.

Since we're using Github for most of the file related tasks already, just including all phrases in the repository and updating them through pull requests seems like the obvious choice. This brings the translation phrases one step closer to where most of the activity happens. To keep an overview of missing phrases in languages, we use a Github project which gets updated whenever a phrase file changes.

If you want to contribute to a translation in SourceMod, the new workflow is as follows:
  • Look at what needs to be done for your language in the Translation project.
    • Click on the language name in the card to open a detailed view.
  • Check the phrase in the english translation files.
  • Update the correct phrases file with your translation.
  • Open a pull request with your changes.

We still need your eyes to judge the new phrases in incoming pull requests. You can check the list of pending changes and comment on the languages you know.

At the time of this writing, not even a single supported language has all of the phrases translated! Let's go and change this!

Last edited by Peace-Maker; 03-30-2023 at 09:55.
RumbleFrog
Great Tester of Whatever
Old 03-29-2023 , 21:01   Re: New Translation Workflow
Reply With Quote #2

:O
Old 03-30-2023 , 06:44   Re: New Translation Workflow
Reply With Quote #3

Oh wow, very nice
Old 05-25-2023 , 11:12   Re: New Translation Workflow
Reply With Quote #4

Has there been an issue w/ adding admis in sm to the simple admins cfg with the change to steam ids?
The status command in the client console doesnt give my old steam id but a different version. I am wondering if this may be why I am not able to add myself as an admin in my own dedicated server?
Thanks,
KC