Plugin Dependencies:
    Servers with this Plugin:

Plugin Description:
    Unapprover:
    Reason for Unapproving:
    requested by author
    Old 05-25-2009 , 16:01   [L4D] Rage Logger - REQUEST DELETION
    Reply With Quote #1

EDIT: Due to some small flaws with rage logging mechanics I would like this thread removed until I have a better solution on flagging people who are not raging.

Reporting post for deletion.

Last edited by CUatTHEFINISH; 05-25-2009 at 18:54. Reason: Requesting thread deletion
    msleeper
    Veteran Member
    Old 05-25-2009 , 17:29   Re: [L4D] Rage Logger
    Reply With Quote #2

I didn't realize that leaving a server for any reason is considered "rage quitting".
    Old 05-25-2009 , 17:37   Re: [L4D] Rage Logger
    Reply With Quote #3

The majority of my versus games experience with pubs in L4D usually involves people leaving because they lost a round or are pissed at a teammate and rather leave than just votekick the person in question. I do consider that rage quitting. It's a game, meant to have fun. Abandoning your team like that just leaves them worse off.

I've really only had stable games when it's friends-only or on some lucky pub matchmakes, in which people stick it out to the end.

Yes, every so often, people do leave for legit "IRL" reasons. But for the most part, L4D versus games consist of these ragers. This is the only flaw of the plugin, and I'm trying to find possible soultions to this. But as for that 99% of the time, it works.
    Old 05-25-2009 , 17:55   Re: [L4D] Rage Logger
    Reply With Quote #4

You say it's a game and you're meant to have fun, but you're wanting to criticize people who leave a game when they're not having fun. Kind of contradictory don't you think?
    Old 05-25-2009 , 18:40   Re: [L4D] Rage Logger
    Reply With Quote #5

Does it rule out the situation where I have to quit because I need to handle something in my home, but I was having a great time playing?
    CUatTHEFINISH
    Old 05-25-2009 , 18:43   Re: [L4D] Rage Logger
    Reply With Quote #6

That's the last hurdle this plugin needs to overcome. To prevent that small number of people who have to leave and enjoyed the game from being added to the stats. The only way I overcome this currently is just by delete their MySQL record. Which detracts from the automation factor greatly.

I was thinking of offering a text command. But it could be easily abused by people who are actually "raging".

Perhaps I should beta test this more til I figure out a viable solution for this problem. I'll request for this thread to be deleted.

Last edited by CUatTHEFINISH; 05-25-2009 at 18:50.
    msleeper
    Veteran Member
    Old 05-25-2009 , 19:33   Re: [L4D] Rage Logger - REQUEST DELETION
    Reply With Quote #7

I don't know, I think the concept is pretty laughable to begin with. You didn't answer me either, don't you think it's a bit hypocritical to say that playing the game is about fun, put trying to log or punish or whatever people who leave because they're not having fun? It's pretty unreasonable to think people are going to sit and play a game that they're not enjoying, just so the other team can have a good time. You really can't be serious with that logic.
    Old 05-25-2009 , 20:01   Re: [L4D] Rage Logger - REQUEST DELETION
    Reply With Quote #8

The thing is, it's not meant to be serious. It was derived from the notion that L4D has quite a number of people who just flat out leave their teams in the middle of a campaign. In fact, it actually gets laughs from people who remain on both sides after the event is announced.

And to answer your question, it's not hypocritical to write somebody's name down on a list that has no effect on the server what-so-ever. You leave because you're not having fun, that's fine. But the fact remains, you just left the other people hanging. I don't expect people to stick around if they are not having fun (for example pubstomping, in which your position has merit). But I've seen time and time again, people leaving when they eventually lose one round and end up falling just 800 points behind. This plugin points those things out.

It WOULD be hypocritical, however, to use that data in a way to prevent them from playing again. That's just unfair punishment.

In either event the statistics this list provides is for humor. Running this thing for a month has yielded 2000+ entries over three servers. Lets say we account for people who actually leave because they have to. That's still quite a bit of people abandoning their TEAM. That in itself is eyebrow raising and facepalm inducing at the least..

I did not respond to your previous comment because I don't feel like dragging out this discussion. I'm obviously not going to change your viewpoints of the seriousness of this plugin. I have no problem with your objections, everybody is entitled to their own opinions and I welcome them. Although, instead of just attacking the idea right-out, some constructive criticism to improve upon it would be helpful. Perhaps some ideas to make the plugin have more intelligent decision making. So the wrong people are not "punished." Yes, this whole idea may seem stupid to you, but not everyone shares that same viewpoint. I've had a number of games where people ask me how they can get this plugin on their server and yes, some who just tilt their head and respond, "WTF?"

Sure, I will be the first to admit, this plugin isn't exactly the most pratical. But it does bring humor and a little fun to something that can get on a lot of people's nerves.

EDIT: Hell, I use this list to invite people (who left with dignity and showed some skill) into my L4D community so we can bring them back for another crack at pub games on my servers. Every few days I go through this database and pick people to invite to our group. We have 4 L4D servers tied to it and they are welcome to join anytime a game is in progress.

EDIT 2 SO I DON'T BUMP A "DEAD" THREAD: Madcap, this plugin does not ban people and isn't meant for that sort. It's not the same concept.

Last edited by CUatTHEFINISH; 05-26-2009 at 04:29. Reason: Grammar error and additional comment
    madcap
    Old 05-25-2009 , 23:47   Re: [L4D] Rage Logger - REQUEST DELETION
    Reply With Quote #9

Not a new concept. Please read this thread.

http://forums.alliedmods.net/showthr...ight=rage+quit
    OmenLW
    Old 05-29-2009 , 21:35   Re: [L4D] Rage Logger - REQUEST DELETION
    Reply With Quote #10

what if you had a small vote when someone quits out?

Do you think {INSERT NAME HERE} rage quit?
    1. Yes
    2. No

Based on the results you can then flag that user or not.