Raised This Month: $ Target: $400
 0% 

[CS:S] Tracer Effects v1.2.8 (Updated: 8/12/13)

Post New Thread Reply   

Black Haze
BANNED
Old 03-01-2011 , 12:39   Re: [CS:S] Tracer Effects
Reply With Quote #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetwistedpanda View Post
It was a pain maintaining two separate versions that only had ~150 lines of difference. You can still achieve it, you just have to manually compile and comment out #define USE_CLIENTPREFS 1.
Isn't it possible to make a CVar for that? I'm afraid this is too much work for most people, myself included. But then again I'd think you couldn't give a flying shit how many people use it of course
thetwistedpanda
Good Little Panda
Old 03-01-2011 , 12:40   Re: [CS:S] Tracer Effects
Reply With Quote #62

Not with clientprefs, it'd still be loading with the plugin, you just wouldn't be able to access it. I don't see how it's too much work though. You download the .sp, you comment out one line, and you can recompile via the web compiler .
Old 03-01-2011 , 12:48   Re: [CS:S] Tracer Effects
Reply With Quote #63

Quote:
Not with clientprefs, it'd still be loading with the plugin, you just wouldn't be able to access it. I don't see how it's too much work though. You download the .sp, you comment out one line, and you can recompile via the web compiler .
Most users I've noted (I'm a coder for my work as well, got some experience with users), are lazy, and dumb as bats. No reason to assume anything different here, especially when you read some posts.
Clicking on a download is about as much work as they're prepared to do. On top of that most of em don't know how or where to recompile.

You could upload a nopref version again, just this time the same plugin with the adjustment you mentioned.

Just trying to help, I'm not going to update myself. "Do not fix what isn't broken" ;)
thetwistedpanda
Good Little Panda
Old 03-01-2011 , 12:54   Re: [CS:S] Tracer Effects
Reply With Quote #64

I support these plugins only as far as fixing bugs and adding additional features, I can't account for user stupidity. If a user must use a non-clientpref version and can't follow 3 simple instructions, then it's out of my hands. Most users shouldn't need a non-clientpref version, however, it's only for those that experience crashes with it.
Old 03-01-2011 , 12:57   Re: [CS:S] Tracer Effects
Reply With Quote #65

Quote:
I support these plugins only as far as fixing bugs and adding additional features, I can't account for user stupidity. If a user must use a non-clientpref version and can't follow 3 simple instructions, then it's out of my hands. Most users shouldn't need a non-clientpref version, however, it's only for those that experience crashes with it.
I agree, though it was just a tip ;)

There is a good reason not to use non-clientpref versions, and that's what I do:
I don't want plugins to do ANYTHING, but work. No copyright messages popping up, no menus, nothing. Just CSS, and the effects of the plugin.
thetwistedpanda
Good Little Panda
Old 03-01-2011 , 13:00   Re: [CS:S] Tracer Effects
Reply With Quote #66

There are features like that in the _nopref version as well; all the clientpref version does is attach a feature to !settings and stores client settings.
Old 04-06-2011 , 12:20   Re: [CS:S] Tracer Effects
Reply With Quote #67

Hmmm. It seems that I'am having problems with this plugin. The tracer plugin works but is not responding properly to the cfgs in the .ini. For instance, changing the color to "2" which is black leaves no trace when shooting, and the plugin doesn't respond to the changes for tracer lifetime at all. Tried both, the default and the noprefs version - same result.
Everything seems clean in my system. Running MM 1.8.5, SM 1.3.6 on Ubuntu 10.10 x64, SRCDS CS:S 1.0.0.59 OB server; error logs are clean.
I do run a bunch of other plugins but with no errors also.

Baffled...
thetwistedpanda
Good Little Panda
Old 04-06-2011 , 12:45   Re: [CS:S] Tracer Effects
Reply With Quote #68

Black is dependent on the rendering mode you are using. Which I don't seem to have provided support for... Whoops...
Old 04-06-2011 , 12:57   Re: [CS:S] Tracer Effects
Reply With Quote #69

Understood...What rendering mode will it be then to see the black? Btw, the lifetime is expressed in seconds, am I right? The default 0.3 value is actually 0.3 secs? Can it be lower then? I tried to put it lower (0.1, or even tried 0.05 and 0.01) and higher (2 or 5) but with no visible effect.
thetwistedpanda
Good Little Panda
Old 04-06-2011 , 13:01   Re: [CS:S] Tracer Effects
Reply With Quote #70

I've been planning a rewrite of this which will make it a lot more configuration friendly, but I simply haven't had the time. You should try a render mode of 2 or 3, one of those should work, If that fails, there's 0-1 and 4-5 as well. And the value should be expressed in seconds, but I'm not sure on the lowest value possible. It's likely a bug with the lifetime not updating (this plugin really could use a rewrite)..