Steam GameServer Accounts and new TF2 QuickPlay Rules

Post New Thread Reply   

Dr. McKay
Sir Dr. SourceMod Plugin Approver Esq. Ltd. M.D. PhD
Old 02-07-2014 , 16:46   Re: Steam GameServer Accounts and new QuickPlay Rules
Reply With Quote #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Knuckles View Post
Can anyone please explain the actual steps to using these tokens? Do we set in the command line? Can we use the same token for every server, or do we need a new one? I am totally lost.
Each server needs a separate token. You can set it in the command line (generally a bad idea), but autoexec.cfg is better.
Old 02-07-2014 , 16:46   Re: Steam GameServer Accounts and new QuickPlay Rules
Reply With Quote #42

Quote:
Can anyone please explain the actual steps to using these tokens? Do we set in the command line? Can we use the same token for every server, or do we need a new one? I am totally lost.
Set them in autoexec.cfg (or on the command line) via the sv_setsteamaccount command (note: this IS a command, not a cvar). Personally, I use +exec autoexec_servername.cfg on my command line (autoexec_normal.cfg or autoexec_mvm.cfg on my test server depending on which I'm running) and run the sv_setsteamaccount command from there. Note that exec looks in the cfg/ directory, so those are actually cfg/autoexec_normal.cfg and cfg/autoexec_mvm.cfg

You need a separate token for each server. Up to 50 tokens can be registered with one Steam WebAPI key, but each Steam account can only have one Steam WebAPI key.

Eventually, Valve plans on having these tokens replace the existing TF2 QuickPlay IDs, but that hasn't happened yet.

Last edited by Powerlord; 02-07-2014 at 16:50.
Dr_Knuckles
AlliedModders Donor
Old 02-07-2014 , 16:57   Re: Steam GameServer Accounts and new QuickPlay Rules
Reply With Quote #43

OK so if I were to use your web interface, Powerlord, I would have to do it multiple time for each of my servers?
Old 02-07-2014 , 17:05   Re: Steam GameServer Accounts and new QuickPlay Rules
Reply With Quote #44

Quote:
OK so if I were to use your web interface, Powerlord, I would have to do it multiple time for each of my servers?
Once for each server, yup.
AlliedModders Donor
Old 02-07-2014 , 17:10   Re: Steam GameServer Accounts and new QuickPlay Rules
Reply With Quote #45

So, in conclusion, one would need to get their API key from steam, use some method or another to get a token for each server, enter:

sv_setsteamaccount token

into autoexec.cfg, exec that on your command line, and thats it? Is there any reason to know the steamid of the server?
Old 02-07-2014 , 17:19   Re: Steam GameServer Accounts and new QuickPlay Rules
Reply With Quote #46

Quote:
So, in conclusion, one would need to get their API key from steam, use some method or another to get a token for each server, enter:

sv_setsteamaccount token

into autoexec.cfg, exec that on your command line, and thats it? Is there any reason to know the steamid of the server?
That's the basic gist, yeah. The page I linked earlier can be used to get a token if you have an API key (it also links to the API key generator page on Steam). You can run it more than once to generate more tokens. There's also a page ( https://api.steampowered.com/IGameServersService/GetAccountList/v0001/?key=<yourkey> ) that can be used to view all the tokens you've generated using an API key... I think it also lists the servers's current IP if you've logged into a server using that token, but I have yet to test it.

cfg/autoexec.cfg is auto-executed on server startup. This is a problem if your servers share a directory structure, as that means server-specific details can't be placed in there.

In the case of sv_setsteamaccount, server.cfg executes too late to set it because it has to be done before the first map change.

Hence why I +exec a different config file on the command line... I just name it autoexec_whatever.cfg so I remember what it's for.

Last edited by Powerlord; 02-07-2014 at 17:23.
AeroAcrobat
AlliedModders Donor
Old 02-07-2014 , 17:58   Re: Steam GameServer Accounts and new QuickPlay Rules
Reply With Quote #47

Quote:
Set these convars on your game server to have it log in and receive benefits:
tf_server_identity_account_id nnnnn
tf_server_identity_token "xxxxx"
Quote:
We’re working on making gameserver accounts a Steam feature. When that happens, the TF2 gameserver accounts will be replaced by Steam gameserver accounts and these instructions will no longer apply.
So you better start using "Steam gameserver accounts" now because "TF2 gameserver accounts" will get deleted anyway and everyone will start from 0 now. Would that be correct ?

Could it cause any issues by using both methodes now (having both identities executing in the cfg) ?

Last edited by AeroAcrobat; 02-07-2014 at 17:58.
Dr. McKay
Sir Dr. SourceMod Plugin Approver Esq. Ltd. M.D. PhD
Old 02-07-2014 , 18:01   Re: Steam GameServer Accounts and new QuickPlay Rules
Reply With Quote #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroAcrobat View Post
So you better start using "Steam gameserver accounts" now because "TF2 gameserver accounts" will get deleted anyway and everyone will start from 0 now. Would that be correct ?

Could it cause any issues by using both methodes now (having both identities executing in the cfg) ?
Currently they're entirely separate.

If you want favorites to store your Steam account ID, you need to use a Steam gameserver account. It does nothing else at the moment.

If you want Quickplay, you need a TF2 gameserver account. It will go away eventually but currently it's still the only way to opt into Quickplay.

Last edited by Dr. McKay; 02-07-2014 at 18:02.
AeroAcrobat
AlliedModders Donor
Old 02-07-2014 , 18:04   Re: Steam GameServer Accounts and new QuickPlay Rules
Reply With Quote #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerlord View Post
In the case of sv_setsteamaccount, server.cfg executes too late to set it because it has to be done before the first map change.
exec my_token.cfg at top of autoexec.cfg, would that work too?
Old 02-07-2014 , 18:30   Re: Steam GameServer Accounts and new QuickPlay Rules
Reply With Quote #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerlord View Post
Creating a server account shouldn't have anything to do with it.
Weird, i did it and server stopped crashing, but whatever, now i have my Server id.