Raised This Month: $ Target: $400
 0% 

server binds key for player

Post New Thread Reply   

StrikerMan780
AlliedModders Donor
Old 09-22-2013 , 11:14   Re: server binds key for player
Reply With Quote #1

Doesn't this require user input? Instead of just automatically executing a certain command on a client? Because, if so, I could see some great, legitimate uses.

Last edited by StrikerMan780; 09-22-2013 at 12:29.
ddhoward
Veteran Member
Old 09-22-2013 , 11:20   Re: server binds key for player
Reply With Quote #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrikerMan780 View Post
Doesn't this require user input? Instead of just automatically executing a certain command on a client?
Yes, but the menu presented to the client does not necessarily need to be honest about what it's executing.

(i think)
Old 09-22-2013 , 18:52   Re: server binds key for player
Reply With Quote #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddhoward View Post
Yes, but the menu presented to the client does not necessarily need to be honest about what it's executing.

(i think)
Exactly. Heck, they could make it appear as if it were a vote if they wished... maybe even use the SourceMod translation files to even have it translated properly.

If my server were to show what appeared to be a ban vote against yourself, would you honestly hit Yes*? Heck, I could even simulate the SourceMod hintbox vote countdown to make it even look more authentic.

* It's a moot point, since I'd likely just make Yes and No both do the same thing. The only proper way to deal with it is to close the menu.

Last edited by Powerlord; 09-22-2013 at 18:53.
StrikerMan780
AlliedModders Donor
Old 09-22-2013 , 22:05   Re: server binds key for player
Reply With Quote #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerlord View Post
Exactly. Heck, they could make it appear as if it were a vote if they wished... maybe even use the SourceMod translation files to even have it translated properly.

If my server were to show what appeared to be a ban vote against yourself, would you honestly hit Yes*? Heck, I could even simulate the SourceMod hintbox vote countdown to make it even look more authentic.

* It's a moot point, since I'd likely just make Yes and No both do the same thing. The only proper way to deal with it is to close the menu.
Instead of blocking the functionality, a better idea would be if valve forced the menu to show the actual command to be executed in parenthesis next to the button, or next to the option name on the button itself so people know what they are in for.

Last edited by StrikerMan780; 09-22-2013 at 22:06.
Powerlord
AlliedModders Donor
Old 09-23-2013 , 10:35   Re: server binds key for player
Reply With Quote #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrikerMan780 View Post
Instead of blocking the functionality, a better idea would be if valve forced the menu to show the actual command to be executed in parenthesis next to the button, or next to the option name on the button itself so people know what they are in for.
True, but that's implying the player knows that bind is generally a bad thing.

Last edited by Powerlord; 09-23-2013 at 17:57.
Oshizu
Veteran Member
Old 09-22-2013 , 16:58   Re: server binds key for player
Reply With Quote #6

It would be just perfect if valve wouldn't patch such things like attachables or client-executed command and would just permamently blacklist servers that abuse them and eventualy suspend steam account of server owner if he continued on new servers few times abusing even thought he was warned.

Also: Anybody found yet fix to problem with only one button?

Last edited by Oshizu; 09-22-2013 at 17:03.
Dr. Greg House
Professional Troll,
Part-Time Asshole
Old 09-22-2013 , 22:58   Re: server binds key for player
Reply With Quote #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oshizu View Post
It would be just perfect if valve wouldn't patch such things like attachables or client-executed command and would just permamently blacklist servers that abuse them and eventualy suspend steam account of server owner if he continued on new servers few times abusing even thought he was warned.[...]
How would that work out?
How would you collect proof?

This won't work for the same reasons Valve does not ban cheaters manually.

Watch out when you're paying people for private requests! Most stuff already exists and you can hardly assess the quality of what you'll get, and if it's worth the money.
Oshizu
Veteran Member
Old 09-23-2013 , 03:44   Re: server binds key for player
Reply With Quote #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Greg House View Post
How would that work out?
How would you collect proof?

This won't work for the same reasons Valve does not ban cheaters manually.
It's just idea thought
I doubt it'd work out quite well in real action
Veteran Member
Old 09-25-2013 , 09:38   Re: server binds key for player
Reply With Quote #9

Being honest is the ideal, but when there is a potential for profit, some people will ALWAYS do malicious things or abuse aformentioned mechanics. Why not bind all of their fkeys to connect to said servers, via some annoying script? Why not sell fake hats for money? Even if they do blacklist you, you can just make a new server, and start again, and make more money, and abuse more people. This already does happen, and it sucks.

It would be better if servers long established and on good behavior could be whitelisted... apply for registration, and get elevated privilages. Like.. It would be pretty nice to give ff2 bosses weapons that show up easily.. Or hats.. Etc, and other stuff to this effect.

Last edited by friagram; 09-25-2013 at 09:40.
napalm00
Veteran Member
Old 09-26-2013 , 06:40   Re: server binds key for player
Reply With Quote #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by friagram View Post
Being honest is the ideal, but when there is a potential for profit, some people will ALWAYS do malicious things or abuse aformentioned mechanics. Why not bind all of their fkeys to connect to said servers, via some annoying script? Why not sell fake hats for money? Even if they do blacklist you, you can just make a new server, and start again, and make more money, and abuse more people. This already does happen, and it sucks.

It would be better if servers long established and on good behavior could be whitelisted... apply for registration, and get elevated privilages. Like.. It would be pretty nice to give ff2 bosses weapons that show up easily.. Or hats.. Etc, and other stuff to this effect.
Nah, it's better to have to work around Valve's patches, makes you learn new stuff and feels more rewarding overall.