Raised This Month: $ Target: $400
 0% 

[ANY] Name Change Punisher (Updated 2011-07-13)

Post New Thread Reply   

Powerlord
AlliedModders Donor
Old 08-02-2011 , 13:00   Re: [ANY] Name Change Punisher (Updated 2011-07-13)
Reply With Quote #31

SMAC now has an interesting, time-based decay system. I'm considering implementing such a system now, rather than the current "clear-all-changes" system. This would make NCP harder to circumvent.

Last edited by Powerlord; 08-02-2011 at 13:03.
SmackDaddy
Veteran Member
Old 08-05-2011 , 21:07   Re: [ANY] Name Change Punisher (Updated 2011-07-13)
Reply With Quote #32

So, if we want to ban someone who changes their name every couple of seconds.......what settings should i set to?

ncp_detections 3 (min 3, max 20, def 5) - Number of detections before taking action
ncp_detectiontime 30 (min 5. max 60, def 10) - Max length of time in seconds between detections before counter resets

If I set it like the above, does it mean if they change their name for a 4th time within 30 seconds, they will be banned?

If this is not correct, could someone give me a good setting to set it to so I can make sure they are caught? if it were set to 3 and 5 (minimums) respectively above, what would that do?

Thanks in advance .... (sorry, I am kinda confused -- word problems were never a strong suit of mine *grin*)

Last edited by SmackDaddy; 08-05-2011 at 21:27.
PlayBoy31
Old 08-09-2011 , 14:40   Re: [ANY] Name Change Punisher (Updated 2011-07-13)
Reply With Quote #33

Does this plugin block cheaters who use random name changer (which is very hard to ban them) ???

with block i mean prevent from changing name 10 per second ...
Powerlord
AlliedModders Donor
Old 08-09-2011 , 15:05   Re: [ANY] Name Change Punisher (Updated 2011-07-13)
Reply With Quote #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmackDaddy View Post
So, if we want to ban someone who changes their name every couple of seconds.......what settings should i set to?

ncp_detections 3 (min 3, max 20, def 5) - Number of detections before taking action
ncp_detectiontime 30 (min 5. max 60, def 10) - Max length of time in seconds between detections before counter resets

If I set it like the above, does it mean if they change their name for a 4th time within 30 seconds, they will be banned?

If this is not correct, could someone give me a good setting to set it to so I can make sure they are caught? if it were set to 3 and 5 (minimums) respectively above, what would that do?

Thanks in advance .... (sorry, I am kinda confused -- word problems were never a strong suit of mine *grin*)
This plugin operates based on how apart the name changes are. Essentially, ncp_detections 3 and ncp_detectiontime 30 would kick them if they changed names again for the third time within 90 seconds (provided they're each within 30 seconds apart)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayBoy31 View Post
Does this plugin block cheaters who use random name changer (which is very hard to ban them) ???

with block i mean prevent from changing name 10 per second ...
I haven't seen any on my server lately, but that's its intended purpose, yes.

SMAC also has something built-in to deal with cheaters, but as I recall it only kicks.
Old 08-09-2011 , 15:49   Re: [ANY] Name Change Punisher (Updated 2011-07-13)
Reply With Quote #35

well i have tweaked little your source. i have put return Plugin_Handled; instead of kick or ban with event mode pre but players can change name ...

is there a way to really block change name ? or to set new name to old name (how ?) ?
musosoft
Old 08-09-2011 , 16:07   Re: [ANY] Name Change Punisher (Updated 2011-07-13)
Reply With Quote #36

Useful plugin, thanks. This should be included in SMAC.

Last edited by musosoft; 08-10-2011 at 06:09.
Powerlord
AlliedModders Donor
Old 08-09-2011 , 16:07   Re: [ANY] Name Change Punisher (Updated 2011-07-13)
Reply With Quote #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayBoy31 View Post
well i have tweaked little your source. i have put return Plugin_Handled; instead of kick or ban with event mode pre but players can change name ...

is there a way to really block change name ? or to set new name to old name (how ?) ?
Whoops, I should learn to read... this plugin doesn't actually block then from changing nicks.

I'm not sure if changing the hook type to a Pre hook would work to block name changes or not... I haven't tried it.
AlliedModders Donor
Old 08-09-2011 , 16:35   Re: [ANY] Name Change Punisher (Updated 2011-07-13)
Reply With Quote #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by musosoft View Post
Useful plugin, thanks. This should be rolled included in SMAC.
Similar behavior is being rolled into SMAC, albeit without a ban option (or so it looks).
Veteran Member
Old 08-11-2011 , 00:10   Re: [ANY] Name Change Punisher (Updated 2011-07-13)
Reply With Quote #39

Thanks for the explanation....I am having name change hackers come in and troll, changing their name every second or two, and no matter what setting I have used (3/30) or (3/10) it has not banned them......my admin team is reporting this plugin hasn't been working since I put it on. I have no other plugins dealing with changing names, and no logs with errors.......still at a loss I guess.....but thanks for explaining it....I just don't know how that's different from 3 times in 10 seconds (or 30) - so if they change their name every two seconds......what would you suggest I make the settings?
Powerlord
AlliedModders Donor
Old 08-11-2011 , 00:13   Re: [ANY] Name Change Punisher (Updated 2011-07-13)
Reply With Quote #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmackDaddy View Post
Thanks for the explanation....I am having name change hackers come in and troll, changing their name every second or two, and no matter what setting I have used (3/30) or (3/10) it has not banned them......my admin team is reporting this plugin hasn't been working since I put it on. I have no other plugins dealing with changing names, and no logs with errors.......still at a loss I guess.....but thanks for explaining it....I just don't know how that's different from 3 times in 10 seconds (or 30) - so if they change their name every two seconds......what would you suggest I make the settings?
Out of curiosity, which game is this server for?

I only tested it on Team Fortress 2.

Having said that, setting ncp_debug 1 should show you if it's catching name changes or not.