Raised This Month: $12 Target: $400
 3% 

SourceMod and Metamod:Source Orange Box Compatibility

Post New Thread Closed Thread   

Mass
Old 09-28-2007 , 04:20   Re: SourceMod and Metamod:Source Orange Box Compatibility

Haha. Have you actually read any of this thread or just posted? There is no SDK yet so until then they can't really do anything and they will announce something when the Orange Box is released. Sheesh
BAILOPAN
Old 09-28-2007 , 07:43   Re: SourceMod and Metamod:Source Orange Box Compatibility

I wouldn't call it '07 until it's 2008. Besides, I don't understand what you're saying. I assume that once the SDK comes out, custom mods will still be placed in a sub-folder called "orangebox." We're not identifying it by one game but the collection of software that comprises the new platform.

Whatever the case, internally, we keep track of the versions by the episode's engine they're attached to (original, episode1, episode2). But telling people to download the "episode2" version is confusing and nonsensical.

Last edited by BAILOPAN; 09-28-2007 at 07:46.
Shaman
Old 09-28-2007 , 13:57   Re: SourceMod and Metamod:Source Orange Box Compatibility

These GCF's are required for TF2:
Code:
source 2007 binaries.gcf
source 2007 dedicated server.gcf
source 2007 shared materials.gcf
source 2007 shared models.gcf
source 2007 shared sounds.gcf
I said Source '07, because of these names.
Orange Box has HL2, HL2 EP1, HL2 EP2, TF2 and Portal, but HL2 and TF2 uses different DLL's and formats. If you look at "source engine.gcf" and "source 2007 binaries.gcf" there are some files with same name, but their sizes are different. So TF2 and HL2 in Orange Box, but they use different engines.

Edit:
I also don't think they will release a tool named "Orange Box SDK", because files are not named like "orange box binaries.gcf", they are named like "source 2007 binaries.gcf".
Ofcourse these are just my thoughts. I haven't talk to Gabe yet

Last edited by Shaman; 09-28-2007 at 14:01.
Send a message via ICQ to Shaman Send a message via AIM to Shaman Send a message via MSN to Shaman Send a message via Yahoo to Shaman
ferret
SourceMod Developer
Old 09-28-2007 , 14:15   Re: SourceMod and Metamod:Source Orange Box Compatibility

All Orangebox games rely in a special file structure in SRCDS installs, rather than the normal one.

For example, srcds for CS is srcds/cstrike
But for TF2, its srcds/orangebox/tf

This indicates a new structure for orange box engine based games. Perhaps it won't be followed, but I've read numerous places that VALVe has referred to it as the "orange box engine".

I don't 100% understand their reason behind changing the file structure of the SRCDS install. At best, they're taking consideration for people who have "one srcds" and symlink it for multiple servers.
Old 09-28-2007 , 15:54   Re: SourceMod and Metamod:Source Orange Box Compatibility

Where is "srcds/orangebox/tf"? Bail said there is a "orangebox" sub-folder too, but I don't have anything like that. I have TF2 and it's dedicated server. There isn't any folder called "orangebox" in GCF's or my user folder.
---
Okay. I found it! I downloaded HDLSUpdateTool and updated "tf". It created a folder called "orangebox". It exists only for SRCDS, not for Steam content.
Anyway if they call it "orange box engine", then there is nothing to say...
SourceMod Developer
Old 09-28-2007 , 15:59   Re: SourceMod and Metamod:Source Orange Box Compatibility

Well, I did say "srcds"
Old 09-29-2007 , 07:12   Re: SourceMod and Metamod:Source Orange Box Compatibility

I thought you mean "Source Dedicated Server" in Steam...