Raised This Month: $ Target: $400
 0% 

[Request] $400.00 USD Paypal Sourcemod Plugin Player Bot Job

Post New Thread Reply   

YamiKaitou
Has a lovely bunch of coconuts
Old 12-14-2014 , 11:23   Re: [Request] $400.00 USD Paypal Sourcemod Plugin Player Bot Job
Reply With Quote #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by medic917 View Post
will this be released to the public as well?
The coder can release the code after completion if they wish, Uncle Fred cannot stop him. Most coders will tend not to release something they were paid to complete.

I do not browse the forums regularly anymore. If you need me for anything (asking questions or anything else), then PM me (be descriptive in your PM, message containing only a link to a thread will be ignored).
Dr. Greg House
Professional Troll,
Part-Time Asshole
Old 12-14-2014 , 12:23   Re: [Request] $400.00 USD Paypal Sourcemod Plugin Player Bot Job
Reply With Quote #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamiKaitou View Post
[...]Uncle Fred cannot stop him.[...]
Please cp the part of the license that prohibits him from doing so.

Watch out when you're paying people for private requests! Most stuff already exists and you can hardly assess the quality of what you'll get, and if it's worth the money.
YamiKaitou
Has a lovely bunch of coconuts
Old 12-14-2014 , 13:03   Re: [Request] $400.00 USD Paypal Sourcemod Plugin Player Bot Job
Reply With Quote #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Greg House View Post
Please cp the part of the license that prohibits him from doing so.
The GPL allows anyone with the source code to distribute it however they wish (provided that all copyright and license headers remain) and any restriction on that is a violation of the GPL, http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq....TheGPLAllowNDA

I do not browse the forums regularly anymore. If you need me for anything (asking questions or anything else), then PM me (be descriptive in your PM, message containing only a link to a thread will be ignored).
Uncle Fred
Old 12-14-2014 , 22:21   Re: [Request] $400.00 USD Paypal Sourcemod Plugin Player Bot Job
Reply With Quote #24

As this project is a significant investment, any coder who is brought on to the project will be asked to sign a NDA and agree that any code written for this project that is not currently available to the public will not fall under the GPU license, but remain private.
Dr. Greg House
Professional Troll,
Part-Time Asshole
Old 12-14-2014 , 22:47   Re: [Request] $400.00 USD Paypal Sourcemod Plugin Player Bot Job
Reply With Quote #25

afaik the gpl license states that any derivative work will have to comply with a gpl-compatible license.

Watch out when you're paying people for private requests! Most stuff already exists and you can hardly assess the quality of what you'll get, and if it's worth the money.
Zephyrus
Cool Pig B)
Old 12-14-2014 , 23:52   Re: [Request] $400.00 USD Paypal Sourcemod Plugin Player Bot Job
Reply With Quote #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Fred View Post
As this project is a significant investment, any coder who is brought on to the project will be asked to sign a NDA and agree that any code written for this project that is not currently available to the public will not fall under the GPU license, but remain private.
its not upto you to decide, its GPL no matter what you do, unless you get someone to code it in metamod source
Old 12-15-2014 , 01:49   Re: [Request] $400.00 USD Paypal Sourcemod Plugin Player Bot Job
Reply With Quote #27

Try CHeeseh....bot author of rcbot2...he might be interested...or can add full support to your mod and all or most of what you want.
http://rcbot.bots-united.com/
Uncle Fred
Old 12-15-2014 , 05:59   Re: [Request] $400.00 USD Paypal Sourcemod Plugin Player Bot Job
Reply With Quote #28

I've been looking into the legal side. It's not as clear cut as it seems:

Essentially, it appears to boil down to the definition of "derivative."
http://www.law.washington.edu/lta/sw...erivative.html

Quote:
The GPL FAQ takes an explicit position on this particular scenario. It states that the result "depends on how the program invokes its plugin. If the program uses fork and exec to invoke plugins, then the plugins are separate programs, so the license for the main program makes no requirements for them." On the other hand, "If the program dynamically links the plug-in ... they form a single program, which must be treated as an extension of both the main program and the plugin.
Ultimately though in practise, how does this work? Can I force a server owner or paid contractor to divulge custom server features just because they might access Sourcemod? Or another question: isn't the intent of any GPL license to prevent a third party from profiting from publicly available code? What if no profit is being made?

Last edited by Uncle Fred; 12-15-2014 at 06:01.
friagram
Veteran Member
Old 12-15-2014 , 06:10   Re: [Request] $400.00 USD Paypal Sourcemod Plugin Player Bot Job
Reply With Quote #29

Best you can do is come to an agreement with the author that they do not resell or re-release the project.
Authors can request the same, but there is nothing to stop anyone from releasing anything.
Nobody can force anyone to release private code / stuff used for personal use.

Any plugins created/compiled are going to be derivative works.
If you do not agree with the license, you can simply not use source mod...
Zephyrus
Cool Pig B)
Old 12-15-2014 , 06:30   Re: [Request] $400.00 USD Paypal Sourcemod Plugin Player Bot Job
Reply With Quote #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Fred View Post
I've been looking into the legal side. It's not as clear cut as it seems:

Essentially, it appears to boil down to the definition of "derivative."
http://www.law.washington.edu/lta/sw...erivative.html

Ultimately though in practise, how does this work? Can I force a server owner or paid contractor to divulge custom server features just because they might access Sourcemod? Or another question: isn't the intent of any GPL license to prevent a third party from profiting from publicly available code? What if no profit is being made?
GPL is the worst licenses of all time. its 100% legal to resell other ppl's code and they cant do anything. gpl lets anyone who legally got access to the code to modify it, distribute it and make derivative work of it. the author isnt protected at all, the author can be freely abused, giving everyone the rights to do whatever they want with your code

Last edited by Zephyrus; 12-15-2014 at 06:31.