Post New Thread Reply   

nightrider
SourceMod Donor
Old 04-18-2013 , 13:43   Re: Steampipe.. speculate
Reply With Quote #191

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lob (UK View Post
Spot on.

I rebuilt my CSS Servers yesterday and thats exactly how i did it and everything is working perfect including fast download.

Simple way guys is to just build a new Server with Steamcmd. Then Simply transfer all of your custom stuff across from your other Server such as addons/materials/models/sound/maps and then update any plugins that need it such as MM and SM etc.

Dont worry about the new download and custom folders etc. Just make it the same as it used to be. Create new folders for addons/materials/models/sound and put your custom maps straight into the map folder that is already there. It all works just fine in the same format as it used to be.

Clients connecting will download your custom files and the files will go into their new download folders.

- Lob (UK)
Exactly what I did on Tuesday night and everything worked flawlessly.

Mr. Man
Veteran Member
Old 04-18-2013 , 13:50   Re: Steampipe.. speculate
Reply With Quote #192

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazman View Post
From the looks of the custom folder, it's a place to put your own skins and stuff, I don't believe sourcemod will be involved with that folder.
That sounds pretty self-defeating for something that's supposed to be server-sided.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightrider View Post
Exactly what I did on Tuesday night and everything worked flawlessly.
This is what I was expecting. Changing the file folder structure would have proven to be extremely disastrous.

Last edited by Mr. Man; 04-18-2013 at 13:52.
Powerlord
AlliedModders Donor
Old 04-18-2013 , 14:09   Re: Steampipe.. speculate
Reply With Quote #193

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Man View Post
That sounds pretty self-defeating for something that's supposed to be server-sided.
It was meant to be client side, but it was also enabled on the server side. Having said that, it's SUPPOSED to work on the server side, as long as you create a subdirectory under it. i.e. custom/blah/sound/mysoundfile.mp3
Veteran Member
Old 04-18-2013 , 14:17   Re: Steampipe.. speculate
Reply With Quote #194

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerlord View Post
It was meant to be client side, but it was also enabled on the server side. Having said that, it's SUPPOSED to work on the server side, as long as you create a subdirectory under it. i.e. custom/blah/sound/mysoundfile.mp3
Odd... The only advantages I see having this new file sorting method is organization for clients when they download custom contents from servers.
Dr. McKay
Sir Dr. SourceMod Plugin Approver Esq. Ltd. M.D. PhD
Old 04-18-2013 , 14:20   Re: Steampipe.. speculate
Reply With Quote #195

Quote:
Odd... The only advantages I see having this new file sorting method is organization for clients when they download custom contents from servers.
A lot of clients use custom HUDs and skins and stuff. It's easier for them to drag and drop mysuperawsomeskinpack.vpk into /custom (and delete it later if they tire of it) than it is to extract a zip (or more often, a rar), and drag and drop a folder tree. Then trying to delete it is even more annoying.
Old 04-18-2013 , 14:21   Re: Steampipe.. speculate
Reply With Quote #196

Quote:
Except that the fast download server doesn't care about the custom/blah/ part and never actually sees it.

Really, it's just to make it easier to organize content from plugins. Like if I had Goomba Stomp installed, I could put its sound files in custom/goomba/sound/ . Or better yet, put them in there, then use vpk.exe to create a goomba.vpk from custom/goomba and drop goomba.vpk in the custom/ folder.

Last edited by Powerlord; 04-18-2013 at 14:22.
Mr. Man
Veteran Member
Old 04-18-2013 , 14:41   Re: Steampipe.. speculate
Reply With Quote #197

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. McKay View Post
A lot of clients use custom HUDs and skins and stuff. It's easier for them to drag and drop mysuperawsomeskinpack.vpk into /custom (and delete it later if they tire of it) than it is to extract a zip (or more often, a rar), and drag and drop a folder tree. Then trying to delete it is even more annoying.
I forgot it was a two-way street. A good system would be for custom content to be moved to /custom/ and leave it at that for the exact same reasons you stated above AND for servers that have lots of content like FF2.
Wazman
AlliedModders Donor
Old 04-18-2013 , 15:21   Re: Steampipe.. speculate
Reply With Quote #198

Credit to Scipizoa For Teaching me her solution.
Hey guys, my friend showed me how she got sourcemod working on her steamcmd tf2 server, just use the latest snapshot of Metamod (it's 1.10)
I forgot if it was already edited, but, edit the metamod.vdf file to look like this
PHP Code:
"Plugin"
{

"file"    "addons/metamod/bin/server"

The version of sourcemod I use is the 1.5 latest snapshot. Click here for duh snapshots
Then just upload the files the traditional way.
Make the addons folder in the tf/ directory. upload sourcemod and metamod and everything should be working.

EDIT: I heard metamod snapshots aren't available to download right now. I uploaded the latest snap shot I have bellow, but it's linux, sorry windows and mac people :c
Attached Files
File Type: gz mmsource-1.10.0-hg816-linux.tar.gz (899.4 KB, 87 views)

Last edited by Wazman; 04-18-2013 at 15:44.
xDeRpYx
Old 04-19-2013 , 04:05   Re: Steampipe.. speculate
Reply With Quote #199

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerlord View Post
Except that the fast download server doesn't care about the custom/blah/ part and never actually sees it.

Really, it's just to make it easier to organize content from plugins. Like if I had Goomba Stomp installed, I could put its sound files in custom/goomba/sound/ . Or better yet, put them in there, then use vpk.exe to create a goomba.vpk from custom/goomba and drop goomba.vpk in the custom/ folder.
So this means you can pack a whole crap ton of custom content in one .vpk
Like for most cases, when it comes to Saxton Hale or FF2 people can make a SaxtonHale.vpk or FF2.vpk, and simply place it in the custom folder.
But how does one go about making them download this, or will it just do it automatically. OR you have to set it in fastdl.
Scipizoa
Old 04-19-2013 , 06:55   Re: Steampipe.. speculate
Reply With Quote #200

but as someone pointed out vpk's aren't supported by fastdl

ZaBaGaBe Gaming Community: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/ZBGB