AMX Mod X - Lite

Post New Thread Reply   

Hawk552
AMX Mod X Moderator
Old 06-27-2006 , 09:42   Re: AMX Mod X - Lite
Reply With Quote #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSnow
So, whats the similarities between AMXXL and Admin Mod? I still dont get it.
They don't provide the exact same functionality but you haven't changed the API at all, just reduced the amount of plugins. This means that all the features in the AMXX API are using overhead when they don't even need to.

Admin mod is a really minimalistic MM plugin designed just for server administration. This basically does that except it doesn't even have kick / ban / slay etc.
Old 06-27-2006 , 12:35   Re: AMX Mod X - Lite
Reply With Quote #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk552
They don't provide the exact same functionality but you haven't changed the API at all, just reduced the amount of plugins. This means that all the features in the AMXX API are using overhead when they don't even need to.

Admin mod is a really minimalistic MM plugin designed just for server administration. This basically does that except it doesn't even have kick / ban / slay etc.
Well, I havent tried Admin Mod yet - but its description at their website states
* Kick, ban or gag disruptive players.

AMXXL does not provide any administrative features at all, nor any functions related to voting, management or similar.

The API's of AMXX and AMXXL are identical, since the dll is identical to AMXX. Mind you that this is only a TC of the base plugins, not a modification to the dll itself.

Since AMXXL requires the minimum of disk space required to run AMXX - still having the same API and some of its functions, my partial idea for this are the possability for developers to include it as an option for installers of larger plugins, to provide a sort of a stand-alone option, in where the original AMXX base arent required for the plugin itself.

I will later on provide a NSIS script to demonstrate the stand-alone thingy, but thats irrelevant to the essential function of the posted plugin at hand.
AMX Mod X Moderator
Old 06-27-2006 , 17:56   Re: AMX Mod X - Lite
Reply With Quote #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSnow
Well, I havent tried Admin Mod yet - but its description at their website states
* Kick, ban or gag disruptive players.

AMXXL does not provide any administrative features at all, nor any functions related to voting, management or similar.

The API's of AMXX and AMXXL are identical, since the dll is identical to AMXX. Mind you that this is only a TC of the base plugins, not a modification to the dll itself.

Since AMXXL requires the minimum of disk space required to run AMXX - still having the same API and some of its functions, my partial idea for this are the possability for developers to include it as an option for installers of larger plugins, to provide a sort of a stand-alone option, in where the original AMXX base arent required for the plugin itself.

I will later on provide a NSIS script to demonstrate the stand-alone thingy, but thats irrelevant to the essential function of the posted plugin at hand.
Like I said, this is totally useless as 3.9 mb vs. a few hundred kb is not an enormous difference. You can't even compare something like that, I could write a C++ program like this:

Code:
int x;
do
{
  x++;
}
while(true);
and it would take far more CPU and resources than AMXX would (for obvious reasons)

I just think this is retarded as cutting down on the base plugins is pretty useless, you can just remove them from your plugins.ini. Anyone this concerned about server performance (especially when the difference will be marginal) like I said should use admin mod.

I really don't think they should include this in the base package as an option, it's a waste of time and an extra thing to support that maybe 5 people will use.
Old 06-27-2006 , 20:25   Re: AMX Mod X - Lite
Reply With Quote #14

Its simple, and i will lay it down simple in terms of "why" and "why not"

You would not want to use Lite if:
* You are dependant of interfaces and administration/configuration
* You are running mods that explicitly requires base plugins to be enabled
* You for any other personal preference dont find any reason to it

You may want to use AMXX-Lite on own servers if:
* You feel you dont need excessive functions
* You feel hudmessages, ingame-menus (voting) to be disruptive
* You for any other personal preference find Lite usefull

Most other things arent important.

Size: Lite is (21 times) smaller, is this in any way unsatisfying? I could always make a special edition and try to fill it with rendundant code to fill the 6.9 Mb quota ;)

Admin Mod: Lite is not AM, in any aspect. The undenyable difference between Lite and AM, is that Lite is developed for the AMXX API - and as enviroment is compatible with other AMXX plugins. Thats the reason why you would use this option rather then AM. Its up to the end user to ultimatly decide, but being an AMXX forum i gather that people here are looking for AMXX compilant tools.

Performance: My own tests indicate that the server FPS is more stabilized while running Lite - which i cant substantiate, but aslong as it doesnt elevate the requirements - performance is not any issue.

Stand alone plugins: If you create a bunch of smaller plugins, then fine - preinstallation of AMXX will not be any issue. The warcraft mod, cs deathmatch, _kz tools etc in where the server is intended to provide a non-generic enviroment, the end user might find a cut-down version of AMXX prefferable (or not)

I dont belive that the plugin is useless. If you (hawk) can't find any personal use for it - then its fine with me, but as the plugin is awaiting approval i would appreciate if you would also make it clear that either:

You personaly find it useless for your own useage
... Or find it useless for the end users aswell as propperly motivating it.
Old 06-27-2006, 20:41
Hawk552
This message has been deleted by v3x. Reason: being a 'jagoff' and post contained practically useless information
DarkSnow
Old 06-28-2006 , 02:13   Re: AMX Mod X - Lite
Reply With Quote #15

Quote:
Since you seem to think this will get approved (haha)
I dont see why it couldnt.

The code is, or rather will be in next revision - clean, i have specified to my knowlege all credits, i have given propper information, it hasnt to my knowlege been done before and the only one expressing any bad views about it so far cannot give any propper reason to it - which i belive most moderators will understand the difference between a plugin that is bad on solid grounds, or a plugin that you think is bad on laughable grounds.

Quote:
(that could simply be done by changing the amxx.cfg and adding some semicolons in your plugins.ini) IS NOT ENOUGH.
I hope you realize how silly your post is
Veteran Member
Old 06-28-2006 , 18:57   Re: AMX Mod X - Lite
Reply With Quote #16

Both have valid points but please stop the flaming of each other.

Hawk makes the point that its similar to admin mod, but while this plugin doesn't do much, it's purpose is just to be a base plugin, not a third party plugin.

I believe that if someone is only installing plugins that affect game play (restrictnames, anti-silent plant, jetpack, revive kit, covertops, etc) which are ONLY found on AMX Mod X, then admin mod would not be a sufficient replacement for this small plugin base because then they couldn't use all the plugins that they want.

Perhaps Hawk does have a point that NOT MANY people WILL in fact ever download a small base that only does a few functions. I know I would never use it (no offense Dark), HOWEVER, the idea of having a lite version for people who only wish to install game play affect plugins, yet have basic features such as in this lite plugin he is posting, may find this useful. I do not personally know anyone who would use it, but having it available for the general public to download, if they desire, is a good idea.

The average server owner doesn't even know how to do basic things with amxmodx and the idea of having a "lite" package with less stuff by default in and of itself is not a bad idea.

I do think that this Lite version could use some work or maybe do more basic, non-admin required functions, but to discard the idea of a lite version of the base packages would be ignorant IMHO.

Both of you have a point but don't flame over it.
DarkSnow
Old 06-29-2006 , 02:31   Re: AMX Mod X - Lite
Reply With Quote #17

Well, i still wouldnt agree in it being similar to Admin Mod, but i neither do i feel the urge to fight over it. Its like drawing a picture of a smiley, and getting sued by the louvre for copying the Mona Lisa. (Yes, its a smile - no its not mona lisa)
Never Fall Asleep
Old 06-29-2006 , 03:23   Re: AMX Mod X - Lite
Reply With Quote #18

I will not consider this as a plugin, but more of a custom setup. I will let this time slide, but i dont want people sto start posting SuperHero Mod Lite package, etc... If someone wants to setup there server on the lite side they can ask in the support forum.