Raised This Month: $12 Target: $400
 3% 

Forum post count, and how to make it count

Post New Thread Reply   

YamiKaitou
Has a lovely bunch of coconuts
Old 05-20-2010 , 17:22   Re: Forum post count, and how to make it count
Reply With Quote #11

Since when did post count even matter? If it is the Member Titles you don't like, how about we suggest making the Normal Member Group use only "Member" as their title

I do not browse the forums regularly anymore. If you need me for anything (asking questions or anything else), then PM me (be descriptive in your PM, message containing only a link to a thread will be ignored).
SpILL
Veteran Member
Old 05-20-2010 , 17:32   Re: Forum post count, and how to make it count
Reply With Quote #12

That's a good idea. But, for those who help people, submit plugins and contributing in this forum all tho I'm none of them of course their status is higher than me.
Indeed, a thank system would be fantastic.

When anybody found any helpful / useful post he can simply hit a "Thank" which will increase the reputation of the respective member so, at the bottom of every post it will show something like "Thanked by bla".
Instead of join date it would show "Thanked 2 times in 10 post.

fysiks
Veteran Member
Old 05-20-2010 , 17:34   Re: Forum post count, and how to make it count
Reply With Quote #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpILL View Post
When anybody found any helpful / useful post he can simply hit a "Thank" which will increase the reputation of the respective member "Thanked by bla"
Instead of join date it would show "Thanked 2 times in 10 post.
This is the same as the all positive karma system that was suggested and refused.
Old 05-20-2010 , 17:43   Re: Forum post count, and how to make it count
Reply With Quote #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by fysiks View Post
This is the same as the all positive karma system that was suggested and refused.
I agree with you but not completely. In this case we can't lay the reputation down of the member, we can just take our thank back that's all we can do.

Also, this system has to be place only at New Plugin Submission and Scripting Help section which is the place for well valued people and newbies can't even do spam out there..

BAILOPAN
Old 05-20-2010 , 17:44   Re: Forum post count, and how to make it count
Reply With Quote #15

Sounds like karma without the -, it'll be the same thing, implemented half-ass because I don't have time to maintain it (I also suspect such a thing needs constant tweaking). Numbers will just trend up, and if you just started you'll be screwed. The cap just makes it easier to hit the limit (many readers to one writer), so quality isn't really favored over quantity.

The problem I have with buttons that increase numbers is that it's an arbitrary cause-effect relationship with no negative consequences. You're not on the line for anything. Normally when you vouch for someone, your reputation is at stake.

You already have a really impressive tool for deciding whether someone is a valuable contributor or not. Yourself!

Ranks are another thing. Those can be changed or eliminated. Let me know if you have any ideas. But a warning - if there is a cause-effect to getting a rank that can be forced by the user, it won't work out.

Last edited by BAILOPAN; 05-20-2010 at 17:49.
Pro Patria Finland
Old 05-20-2010 , 18:00   Re: Forum post count, and how to make it count
Reply With Quote #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAILOPAN View Post
Sounds like karma without the -, it'll be the same thing, implemented half-ass because I don't have time to maintain it (I also suspect such a thing needs constant tweaking). Numbers will just trend up, and if you just started you'll be screwed. The cap just makes it easier to hit the limit (many readers to one writer), so quality isn't really favored over quantity.

The problem I have with buttons that increase numbers is that it's an arbitrary cause-effect relationship with no negative consequences. You're not on the line for anything. Normally when you vouch for someone, your reputation is at stake.

You already have a really impressive tool for deciding whether someone is a valuable contributor or not. Yourself!

Ranks are another thing. Those can be changed or eliminated. Let me know if you have any ideas. But a warning - if there is a cause-effect to getting a rank that can be forced by the user, it won't work out.
Well, one thing would be getting a "higher member status" according to time, not the post count. Yami's suggestion is not bad either, but thinking from a newcomers perspective, there should be some system for recognizing who is an older, more trustworthy member and who just came around.

The amount of shit advice on this forum is growing, and new members probably make decisions based on how they see the status of the posting user.

And of course there is the e-penis thing. When I joined here I didn't know shit, but I learned a lot about servers, computing and programming here. And booyah, now it is actually beneficial to my personal life and work. Then I see some dickcheese come here and boast around with his its member status and post all kinds of crap. It makes me weep.
Veteran Member
Old 05-20-2010 , 18:04   Re: Forum post count, and how to make it count
Reply With Quote #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro Patria Finland View Post
for recognizing who is an older, more trustworthy member and who just came around.
Just because someone may be new to the forums doesn't mean they're not helpful to others.
fysiks
Veteran Member
Old 05-20-2010 , 18:15   Re: Forum post count, and how to make it count
Reply With Quote #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrecked_ View Post
Just because someone may be new to the forums doesn't mean they're not helpful to others.
His proposed method of recognition would reflect whether or not you (a newer member) are a productive member also. If you post 100 posts and 95 of them are helpful then it says you are better than someone with 100 posts and 5 of them are helpful.
Old 05-20-2010 , 18:31   Re: Forum post count, and how to make it count
Reply With Quote #19

"Then I see some dickcheese come here and boast around with his its member status and post all kinds of crap. It makes me weep. "

That's a new one

Yeah - I agree. Status sucks, the titles are not great. They just re-iterate what the Join Date says, except they can be misinterpreted.

Unfortunately, the terrible advice problem isn't easy to solve. A group is its own worst enemy. Just because someone has bad "karma" doesn't mean they can't post advice, will post good advice, or won't have their advice read or taken.

That article is a real interesting read if (like me) you are interested in the sociology behind open discussion forums. If you're too lazy, the spoilers: totally open doesn't work. There has to be a ruling class (which imposes and enforces rules), there have to be barriers to entry, and there has to be a reputation system.

I think we're lacking the middle as opposed to the latter, but it may be a combination of the two.

Last edited by BAILOPAN; 05-20-2010 at 18:34.
fysiks
Veteran Member
Old 05-20-2010 , 19:47   Re: Forum post count, and how to make it count
Reply With Quote #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAILOPAN View Post
Unfortunately, the terrible advice problem isn't easy to solve. A group is its own worst enemy. Just because someone has bad "karma" doesn't mean they can't post advice, will post good advice, or won't have their advice read or taken.

That article is a real interesting read if (like me) you are interested in the sociology behind open discussion forums.
That was very interesting. Long but interesting .