BANNED
Old 08-18-2007 , 17:39   Re: Bean Fried Potatoes
Reply With Quote #11

hmm....
Fredd
Veteran Member
Old 08-18-2007 , 20:03   Re: Bean Fried Potatoes
Reply With Quote #12

meh i was trying to install all the new visual studios, but the x64 freamwork 3.5 kept crashing ...
Donor
Old 08-19-2007 , 01:04   Re: Bean Fried Potatoes
Reply With Quote #13

MSN.com shuts out non-Microsoft browsers

IBM and Microsoft used many of Apple's ideas to develop the Common User Access specifications that formed the basis of the user interface found in Microsoft Windows, IBM OS/2 Presentation Manager, and the Unix Motif toolkit and window manager.

The Truth Behind Microsoft?
Quote:
The Department of Justice has stated that the entire reason that Microsoft bundled Internet Explorer with their operating system was not to improve their operating system but was, rather, to eliminate Netscape's cash flow. Microsoft executives have been reported to say things like "We're gonna keep giving it away until Netscape runs out of cash." Microsoft viewed Netscape's browser as a threat to their operating system monopoly because Netscape's browser could display the results of programs located on some non-Microsoft operating system many miles away. If people started running word processors written in Java using Netscape's browser, then people would no longer have a reason to buy Microsoft's Office product. Furthermore, since Netscape also runs on other operating systems that Microsoft views as competitors, such as Linux and Apple's Macintosh, people would no longer have a reason to buy Windows.
Fredd
Veteran Member
Old 08-19-2007 , 01:07   Re: Bean Fried Potatoes
Reply With Quote #14

the quesition is what can we do? we need microsoft.. well atleast 99% of home user's, some has to make a winzor linux it has to bee so 1337 so it kills windows, like what's intel is doing to AMD right now.
Donor
Old 08-19-2007 , 01:09   Re: Bean Fried Potatoes
Reply With Quote #15

Problem is that Microsoft is almost a monopoly. Most users use their operating system, just because its hard for people to change. Vista might actually kill them though, the only thing they really had going for them was the wide amount of programs that was compatible (after installing drivers and such ), but I've heard that not even programs like Adobe reader are compatible with Vista yet.
Lee
AlliedModders Donor
Old 08-19-2007 , 10:55   Re: Bean Fried Potatoes
Reply With Quote #16

None of those links support what you said. MSN.com is most certainly not Windows. As I thought.
TheNewt
Donor
Old 08-19-2007 , 13:25   Re: Bean Fried Potatoes
Reply With Quote #17

Quote:
The Department of Justice has stated that the entire reason that Microsoft bundled Internet Explorer with their operating system was not to improve their operating system but was, rather, to eliminate Netscape's cash flow. Microsoft executives have been reported to say things like "We're gonna keep giving it away until Netscape runs out of cash." Microsoft viewed Netscape's browser as a threat to their operating system monopoly because Netscape's browser could display the results of programs located on some non-Microsoft operating system many miles away. If people started running word processors written in Java using Netscape's browser, then people would no longer have a reason to buy Microsoft's Office product. Furthermore, since Netscape also runs on other operating systems that Microsoft views as competitors, such as Linux and Apple's Macintosh, people would no longer have a reason to buy Windows.
Maybe you didn't read this. Read the whole article I posted, its link # 3.

Btw, MSN stands for MicroSoft Network.
Quote:
MSN (or Microsoft Network) is an Internet service provider and web portal (initially meant to be a parallel net to the Internet) created by Microsoft on August 24, 1995, coinciding with the release of Windows 95. The MSN moniker has since been extended to Microsoft's Hotmail webmail service and the MSN Messenger instant messaging client, as well as other Microsoft-branded websites.

Last edited by TheNewt; 08-19-2007 at 13:28.
Lee
AlliedModders Donor
Old 08-19-2007 , 13:32   Re: Bean Fried Potatoes
Reply With Quote #18

Now read what you said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticDeath View Post
Microsoft totally made [Netscape] incompatible with Windows.
You do know that Netscape could be installed alongside Internet Explorer, right? Microsoft also sells computer hardware, advertising and books. None of these are Microsoft Windows. Microsoft has never had a monopoly in web portals and so it's completely legal for them to block access to users of alternative browsers. Whether doing so is ethically right is a matter of opinion, but as I said before, I'd rather not offer my opinions regarding Microsoft's business practices.

What you said is completely false and is typical of misinformed individuals who think it's cool among their online social circle to bash Microsoft.

Last edited by Lee; 08-19-2007 at 13:43.
TheNewt
Donor
Old 08-19-2007 , 13:37   Re: Bean Fried Potatoes
Reply With Quote #19

I am not saying present day Netscape. I'm saying when Microsoft attempted to buy them out, they changed a lot of information in a "hot-patch" in attempt to control Netscape, and like that article said Microsoft even gave away IE for free in attempt to make Netscape lose cash flow. Why are you so hell-bent in defending Psychosoft? Windows is the most unreliable, and slow ass system I have used (in my opinion, this is not a fact what-so-ever. I'm sure there are slower systems out there.)

Edit: The only thing I have to say Microsoft ever did well, was XBox-360 and Outlook. :/
TheNewt
Donor
Old 08-19-2007 , 13:49   Re: Bean Fried Potatoes
Reply With Quote #20

Okay, shit-dude. I have given up trying to argue with you. Read this article, I guaruntee it will change your mind about Microsuck.
http://www.kmfms.com/whatsbad.html
Quote:
Finally, Microsoft has a habit of killing off competitors by either buying them or their technologies. Once again, a good example of this is shown with Microsoft's foray into the web browser market. Microsoft was late to catch on to the fact that the web was going to revolutionize the way people used computers and once they finally woke up they were dangerously close to having their Windows monopoly destroyed by the greatly reduced importance of operating systems that a web based paradigm would produce. They needed to do something fast. They allegedly tried to carve up the market with Netscape by getting Netscape to agree to stop making Windows web browsers while Microsoft would only make Windows web browsers. Fortunately for consumers, Netscape did not agree to the deal and the web was saved from becoming a Microsoft only technology as surely would have happened. But this made it even more urgent for Microsoft that they reign in this new market right away while it was still time. Lacking any decent technology of their own, Microsoft licensed the Mosaic web browser from Spyglass which they turned into Internet Explorer. So the weapon that Microsoft fashioned in their attempt to defeat Netscape wasn't even their own, but technology they bought from someone else. This was not a one time thing, but a recurring habit of reaping the rewards for other peoples' work which started way back in the beginning when Bill Gates bought DOS (no, Microsoft didn't even create the product that was the seed for their entire monopoly).
Quote:
The buggy browser wouldn't have been too terrible since most people were still smart enough to use Netscape anyway, but Microsoft replaced the standard Explorer (the file system viewer) with IE which left users nowhere to hide from the bugs. If you use Internet Explorer today, be aware that for a significant period after it was introduced it was very unstable and clearly inferior to the competition, but if you wanted to use Windows you had to use IE anyway because it was made a core part of the system (i.e., the file viewer). The lesson to be learned is that by using Microsoft products you are putting yourself at the mercy of having pieces of your system which work relatively reliably (by Microsoft standards) ripped out from under you and replaced by something broken and inferior every time they find a new competitor they want to kill.

Last edited by TheNewt; 08-19-2007 at 13:51.