Raised This Month: $ Target: $400
 0% 

Invite Servervisitors to Steamcommunity

Post New Thread Reply   

Chris-_-
SourceMod Donor
Old 07-10-2009 , 03:13   Re: Invite Servervisitors to Steamcommunity
Reply With Quote #11

If someone publically posted a version with a chat register / command, anyone with a slight amount of scripting knowledge could mod it to be onconnect and i'm highly guessing that alot of servers would get this stupid feature at that point.
AngryVag
Old 07-10-2009 , 17:45   Re: Invite Servervisitors to Steamcommunity
Reply With Quote #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sexual Harassment Panda View Post
use the webshortcuts plugin to allow them to see the steam group, and then advertise the shortcut with the advertisements plugin

Also, moggiex, that is a great idea.
Since the last L4D update using "h" or anything that calls the in-game browser is broken after the first round. Randomly broken at that. Including webshortcuts.
Old 07-11-2009 , 13:51   Re: Invite Servervisitors to Steamcommunity
Reply With Quote #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoggieX View Post
I bet that less that 1% are signed in on their in game browser, which makes that alternative poor.

A simple, "Would you like to Join our steam community group yes/no" would suffice, spamming bot or what ever isn't really up mine and the vast majorities to do list.

Matt
I would also like to add an easy method of joining our steam group on our servers. A simple !joinsg trigger would be perfect. I wouldn't have it auto-add though.

Can't you use the steam protocol (steam://) to add people to groups. Make them view that in the motd and it should work.
Edit: actually I don't think you can add yourself to groups via the steam protocol.

Last edited by Lethal-; 07-11-2009 at 13:58.
Sexual Harassment Panda
Veteran Member
Old 07-11-2009 , 15:09   Re: Invite Servervisitors to Steamcommunity
Reply With Quote #14

well if anybody would like to code this i'll pay.
Old 07-11-2009 , 17:06   Re: Invite Servervisitors to Steamcommunity
Reply With Quote #15

Even if the code is modified to make it auto invite on join people will get angry and not play on the server anymore. And they will tell their friends, so in the long run it hurts the server.
Old 07-11-2009 , 17:20   Re: Invite Servervisitors to Steamcommunity
Reply With Quote #16

Karma works, you'll get what's coming to you.
Old 07-11-2009 , 22:42   Re: Invite Servervisitors to Steamcommunity
Reply With Quote #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sexual Harassment Panda View Post
Yes, I know that nobody is signed in on their tf2 browser, but it is the unfortunate alternative that everybody has been using since it is rather "unethical" to have it autoinvite them etc. Having a chat command they can type that invites them might be nice though. As long as it's not automatic upon server join.
It is very good that no one is signed in as that would lead to a huge exploit potential. I mean things like people with big groups getting kicked out and having someone else make themselves admin.

It would not be hard at all to make a plugin which invites people who say yes. Last I checked there's already an extension that could be used for this. No need to make a custom extension or anything .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lethal- View Post
I would also like to add an easy method of joining our steam group on our servers. A simple !joinsg trigger would be perfect. I wouldn't have it auto-add though.

Can't you use the steam protocol (steam://) to add people to groups. Make them view that in the motd and it should work.
Edit: actually I don't think you can add yourself to groups via the steam protocol.
Not officially. Best thing you could do is open the steam community page using the steam:// protocol and have people click "Join". This will however either minimize the game or in some rare cases appear in the background behind the actual game and won't be seen until the person quits.
Sexual Harassment Panda
Veteran Member
Old 07-12-2009 , 16:37   Re: Invite Servervisitors to Steamcommunity
Reply With Quote #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nsane View Post
It would not be hard at all to make a plugin which invites people who say yes. Last I checked there's already an extension that could be used for this. No need to make a custom extension or anything .
Could you post a link to this extension? I'm rather interested in having a !join command, as it would make it much easier for people who are actually interested in joining the steam group to join. Right now it's rather hard with the poor integration of the steam community into tf2, and I know this would be a popular plugin.
Old 07-30-2009 , 15:57   Re: Invite Servervisitors to Steamcommunity
Reply With Quote #19

I worked out how to invite steam users via the steamcommunity.com website with a url. So I thought, why not have the server send a request to a php page, which then logs into steam community and opens the url to invite a player if they trigger it.

I wrote something using cURL in PHP, but then realised that a captcha appears on steamcommunity sometimes... I don't think there is a way round it
Sexual Harassment Panda
Veteran Member
Old 07-30-2009 , 16:41   Re: Invite Servervisitors to Steamcommunity
Reply With Quote #20

when exactly does the captcha appear?