L. Duke
Veteran Member
Old 11-01-2005 , 11:02  
Reply With Quote #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingmongoose
in your server.cfg do you have the following line

exec fakeclients.cfg

(I believe it needs to be executed every map for the names to be held properly and this will do that)

Also make sure you're running version 1.1 of SourceMM and Fakeclients.
Yep, sounds like the fakeclients.cfg file isn't being run every map change.
FlyingMongoose
Veteran Member
Old 11-01-2005 , 11:37  
Reply With Quote #132

I'm trying to give support to people for you as much as I can Duke...give you time to work on VIP Mod lol.

Only ask for support in plugin threads.

TunedChaos.com - Precision Tuned Game Servers
showdax
Old 11-02-2005 , 19:45   Re: FakeClients
Reply With Quote #133

Quote:
Originally Posted by L. Duke
NOTE: The plugin does not currently support DOD:S due to a Valve bug that causes other plugins to crash when FakeClients is running.
Could you elaborate on this? It works fine for me on DOD:S, with a small change to the binary.
Send a message via MSN to showdax
imported_Megatron
Zero Posts
Old 11-02-2005 , 23:27  
Reply With Quote #134

Please share what you did to get it to work for DoD:S

Megatron
L. Duke
Veteran Member
Old 11-03-2005 , 11:09   Re: FakeClients
Reply With Quote #135

Quote:
Originally Posted by showdax
Quote:
NOTE: The plugin does not currently support DOD:S due to a Valve bug that causes other plugins to crash when FakeClients is running.
Could you elaborate on this? It works fine for me on DOD:S, with a small change to the binary.
If I change the Game Server interface version, the plugin will load and run on DOD:S. The problem is that when other plugins check the Valve function IsFakeClient() it returns FALSE instead of TRUE. So plugins like Mani and Beetle's treat the fake clients like players and send them messages which crashes the server. I'm not sure about Xaphan, but I assume it would have the same problem.
showdax
Old 11-03-2005 , 12:00   Re: FakeClients
Reply With Quote #136

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
If I change the Game Server interface version, the plugin will load and run on DOD:S. The problem is that when other plugins check the Valve function IsFakeClient() it returns FALSE instead of TRUE. So plugins like Mani and Beetle's treat the fake clients like players and send them messages which crashes the server. I'm not sure about Xaphan, but I assume it would have the same problem.
Well that's not really your problem. Have you talked to them about adding a workaround for their plugins? A really simple solution would just be to see if the network ID is "BOT", but I don't know if that's reliable for all mods.

Also, I think your plugin is kind of hard to use. Here are some criticisms:
  • You can't tell (from the server console) when the plugin has created a fake client. It would be nice if it echoed something.
  • There doesn't seem to be any way of removing names or listing existing names as far as I can tell. I think it should either act like banid/listid/removeid do, or you should require botprofile.db and pull names from that (or maybe just a list of names in a text file), and allow reloading of the file.
  • fakeclients_name seems to have issues with the " character. Doing "fakeclients_name "Some Bot"" results in a fake client with the name ""Some Bot". Adding" "Another Bot"" results in "Another Bo", and adding "Bot" results in "Bo".
  • There is no way to view the plugins settings, as everything seems to be a concommand, or has some wacky text-hiding flag set. It would be nicer if players, delay, starthour and stophour were viewable by the server operator.
  • fakeclients_players acts strangely. I set it from 20 to 10 and expected the plugin to kick 10 bots, but that didn't happen. It also completely filled the server with bots with setting untouched, which I didn't expect.
  • fakeclients_version can be changed by the server operator. I'm guessing this convar is viewable in server queries, and if it is, allowing it to be changed would be kind of silly. Maybe creating a callback that always calls Revert would work.

I also think it's kind of strange that your plugin hooks so many functions. It might be a good idea to make it as minimal as possible; cutting down on the number of interfaces you use would reduce issues with mod-compatibility and the possibility Valve screwing up your stuff.
imported_SideShow
Old 11-03-2005 , 18:39  
Reply With Quote #137

And like it was said bf, its probobly because of that, that on CSS, Mani includes them in voting sessions. And the results get screwy.

Is there anyway around that.?
Well at least for CSS. for now.

I would love to use this, but i cant have it screwing up the voting system.
L. Duke
Veteran Member
Old 11-03-2005 , 18:52   Re: FakeClients
Reply With Quote #138

Quote:
Well that's not really your problem. Have you talked to them about adding a workaround for their plugins? A really simple solution would just be to see if the network ID is "BOT", but I don't know if that's reliable for all mods.
I PMed back and forth with Mani about doing that when I first discovered the issue. I think he was going to do that, but he hasn't released an update since so I don't know if he added it or not yet.

Also, I think your plugin is kind of hard to use. Here are some criticisms:
  • You can't tell (from the server console) when the plugin has created a fake client. It would be nice if it echoed something.
    This info is logged, so if you have LOG ON then you will see them join.
  • There doesn't seem to be any way of removing names or listing existing names as far as I can tell. I think it should either act like banid/listid/removeid do, or you should require botprofile.db and pull names from that (or maybe just a list of names in a text file), and allow reloading of the file.
    You're right, there is no way to display added names. As for changing the names, simply change the fakeclients.cfg and the new names will become active when the map changes.
  • fakeclients_name seems to have issues with the " character. Doing "fakeclients_name "Some Bot"" results in a fake client with the name ""Some Bot". Adding" "Another Bot"" results in "Another Bo", and adding "Bot" results in "Bo".
    I've heard reports of the last character not showing up. When a con command is in the cfg file you have to get rid of the line feed info and I think the problem is because of the whole Windows/Linux line feed conflict. Should be fixed by the next update.
  • There is no way to view the plugins settings, as everything seems to be a concommand, or has some wacky text-hiding flag set. It would be nicer if players, delay, starthour and stophour were viewable by the server operator.
    You must have LOG ON to see the settings. Then from the server console or HLSW you can type the command, for example type FAKECLIENTS_DELAY and the current setting will be shown in the console.
  • fakeclients_players acts strangely. I set it from 20 to 10 and expected the plugin to kick 10 bots, but that didn't happen. It also completely filled the server with bots with setting untouched, which I didn't expect.
    Not sure what this is about. If I set it from 20 to 10 it will kick 10 of them. If it doesn't then there is a bug somewhere, so let me know what operating system you're on and what conditions are required to repeat the problem.
  • fakeclients_version can be changed by the server operator. I'm guessing this convar is viewable in server queries, and if it is, allowing it to be changed would be kind of silly. Maybe creating a callback that always calls Revert would work.
    I'll check into this. I think there is a read only flag when creating a cvar. Maybe it didn't get set.
showdax
Old 11-04-2005 , 09:00  
Reply With Quote #139

Why would you only show them in the log though? Why would you even use concommands period, or hide the text? I have sv_logecho set to 0 so I can actually use my console instead of watching thousands of pretty lines go by. Pretty much every single setting in HL2 acts like a convar, but what you're doing is just counter-intuitive and defies convention. If you want to log changes to the convar, set FCVAR_NOTIFY. If you want to log changes without the players knowing, use a callback.

And it's not a big deal, but I think the time command is kind of silly. It's beyond the scope of your plugin to provide that. Any sensible server operator would be able to figure out what time it is on their machine. But then again I guess it was probably trivial to implement.

Also, I think a better solution to lying to people with bots would be to forge server queries directly, but that's even less ethical.
imported_Megatron
Zero Posts
Old 11-04-2005 , 10:27  
Reply With Quote #140

I have a couple of DoD:S servers. One of them is a "vanilla" server with no other mods. How can I use this plugin on this server? The other server has Mani and I don't plan on using this plugin on that server.

Megatron