Raised This Month: $ Target: $400
 0% 

SourceBans 2.0 Alpha (2013/09/04)

Post New Thread Reply   

FlyingMongoose
Veteran Member
Old 08-29-2013 , 01:59   SourceBans 2.0 Public Preview (2013/07/01)
Reply With Quote #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyroprotectme View Post
SB 2.0 Beta looks very promising and thank you DJ Tsunami for the hard work and anyone else involved. I just read the entire thread and Rytis seems to be a great help here on the forums, thumbs-up to you.

I have a TF2 Community ( PyroProtectMe aka [PPM] ), running 8 TF2 Servers, 7 are trade and one is a 24/7 payload. Naturally we can't run them without SB 1.5. so to see the 2.0 in development is truly a breath of fresh air. I may run it on the payload server to test it and hopefully contribute to bugs and fixes.

TBH I had no idea a 2.0 beta was out. I stumbled across this as the 8/27/2013 TF2 update seemingly has broke 1.4.10 as I woke up and my SB server database is not communicating with my game servers. My admin have Admin tags and the ban powers, but it seems it is not logging in SB itself. The bans remain local to that server and nothing showing on the SB database side. I have been running SB for almost a year with little issues. My guess it's a SouceMod issue. Any ideas?

On another note I read that eXplode82 offered some design services, how is that working out?
I developed my TF2 Community Site http://ppm.tf (HTML and CSS), my PPM Steam Bots (MySQL/PHP) were developed by a good friend. Not sure if we can help in any way. I will say I prefer a way for each user to just style it themselves. If they have no CSS knowledge then they get the vanilla package. If you're using bootstrap that should be plenty nice for anyone. Just my $.02

I look forward to hearing from you and thank you,

pyro
Branches and pulls are always welcome, the sourcebans 2 package is based on the Yii framework which uses an mvc model, making themes very easy to work with. And on your communication issues try a repository version of sourcemod itself.

Only ask for support in plugin threads.

TunedChaos.com - Precision Tuned Game Servers

Last edited by DJ Tsunami; 08-29-2013 at 03:52.
DJ Tsunami
DJ Post Spammer
Old 08-29-2013 , 05:50   Re: SourceBans 2.0 Public Preview (2013/07/01)
Reply With Quote #2

Well pyroprotectme, technically this is not a beta, but a pre-alpha. We decided to only advertise it in a few places, so we could get a couple of testers and not get flooded with bug reports So far the response has been great.

I PMed eXplode82 but have not yet received a reply. Currently there's one other person who started working on a theme recently, but of course if we can launch with a couple of different themes that would be great. PPM.tf looks pretty good, so you're welcome to give it a go. I'm not a designer, so it doesn't have to look anything like it does now. I may also add support for the Twig templating engine, and skins, so you can use the same HTML in your theme and users can simply change colors by picking a different CSS file.

---

And yes people, please make a pull request after you've forked SourceBans and created a patch. Currently we have a couple of open patches:

Luckily these are small patches and I can merge them manually, but I had to check myself if there were any unmerged forks, instead of just receiving an email and clicking a button to merge
snoopass
Old 09-01-2013 , 03:15   Re: SourceBans 2.0 Public Preview (2013/07/01)
Reply With Quote #3

I miss a option by edit a bann :

Add Comment

By ad a bann.

Upload a Demo

And a funtion by add a bann :

Upload Demo

But maybe it's already in progress.

Last edited by snoopass; 09-02-2013 at 00:40.
Erik V
Old 09-01-2013 , 16:29   Re: SourceBans 2.0 Public Preview (2013/07/01)
Reply With Quote #4

This is a feature request:

Allow adding an admin for a limited time. Like we do with a ban;
something like the following

sb_addadmin <name> <group> <time>

sample: sb_addadmin dude root 10080

dude gets full admin for 1 week

Where after "time" has elapsed the admin will have the flags set to none, so they are still in the admin list and can be reactivated w/o having to re-add them. It would also be nice if their group was automatically changed to "deactivated admins group" or something similar as well.

Last edited by Erik V; 09-01-2013 at 16:46.
XuluniX
Old 09-02-2013 , 05:25   Re: SourceBans 2.0 Public Preview (2013/07/01)
Reply With Quote #5

I hope they won't add it because all the "pay to get admin" servers are mostlyabove average unplayable for players because the the paymins ban you for "cheating".
If you want to host such a server, deal with SB like it is, implet the feature and make a pull request on github or write your own plugin for sourcemod

Last edited by XuluniX; 09-02-2013 at 06:05.
FlyingMongoose
Veteran Member
Old 09-02-2013 , 11:26   Re: SourceBans 2.0 Public Preview (2013/07/01)
Reply With Quote #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik V View Post
This is a feature request:

Allow adding an admin for a limited time. Like we do with a ban;
something like the following

sb_addadmin <name> <group> <time>

sample: sb_addadmin dude root 10080

dude gets full admin for 1 week

Where after "time" has elapsed the admin will have the flags set to none, so they are still in the admin list and can be reactivated w/o having to re-add them. It would also be nice if their group was automatically changed to "deactivated admins group" or something similar as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XuluniX View Post
I hope they won't add it because all the "pay to get admin" servers are mostlyabove average unplayable for players because the the paymins ban you for "cheating".
If you want to host such a server, deal with SB like it is, implet the feature and make a pull request on github or write your own plugin for sourcemod
As Xulunix said, sourcebans 2 has plugin interfaces for both sourcemod plugin and web panel. This would not be implemented into the core application. A party would have to implement it.

Erik V
Old 09-02-2013 , 22:15   Re: SourceBans 2.0 Public Preview (2013/07/01)
Reply With Quote #7

Just because a feature is available does not necessitate its use. Why leave out a feature and reduce the functionality of an application; a server operator will use that feature on a server you would not play on anyway, but 1000's of others do. It facilitates the method by which many, many servers monitor and control admin access, which is what this program is about. As I mentioned earlier, the ability to do this should be available, but not necessary, as leaving the time parameter out will just make an admin permanent, allowing those operators who do not wish to employ this feature the freedom to ignore it.

Last edited by Erik V; 09-02-2013 at 22:17.
Dr. McKay
Sir Dr. SourceMod Plugin Approver Esq. Ltd. M.D. PhD
Old 09-02-2013 , 22:40   Re: SourceBans 2.0 Public Preview (2013/07/01)
Reply With Quote #8

Quote:
Just because a feature is available does not necessitate its use. Why leave out a feature and reduce the functionality of an application; a server operator will use that feature on a server you would not play on anyway, but 1000's of others do. It facilitates the method by which many, many servers monitor and control admin access, which is what this program is about. As I mentioned earlier, the ability to do this should be available, but not necessary, as leaving the time parameter out will just make an admin permanent, allowing those operators who do not wish to employ this feature the freedom to ignore it.
It has no place in SourceBans core. However, SourceBans 2 has a rather extensive SourcePawn and PHP API, so it wouldn't be terribly difficult to implement your own system to do this.
Old 09-03-2013 , 12:31   Re: SourceBans 2.0 Public Preview (2013/07/01)
Reply With Quote #9

Quote:
I pointed out the Core, it doesn't mean a feature can't exist, it means it will not be developed or maintained by the sourcebans team themselves as part of the core package. SourceBans 2, as McKay above has stated has a very extensive plugin system. Apart from the core basics of the system (ban management, admin management, server management and features associated directly there in) there is no purpose in adding anything to the core.

For example, Per-Server Banning and Per-Server admins are both part of SB2 (weren't in 1.x), but a temporary admin system would not be something core to the application.

Also in designing applications you go efficiency first, too many functions/features in the core creates a bloated application, the ability to modulate applications and plugins (as SB2 provides) allows for a smaller scale application and a far more efficient system.

It's like Mani Admin Tool or even way back Beetlesmod vs. SourceMod, personally I prefer SourceMod because if I don't want a feature, I can take it out, if I do want a feature, I can add it in.

As Tsunami said a data field modification can be done though. Make -1 indefinite?

Last edited by FlyingMongoose; 09-03-2013 at 12:32.
DJ Tsunami
DJ Post Spammer
Old 09-03-2013 , 11:40   Re: SourceBans 2.0 Public Preview (2013/07/01)
Reply With Quote #10

Currently the only ways to temporarily disable admins are to delete them, or take away their groups, which both seem kind of harsh. If people want to disable admins manually we'll have to add a database field anyway, so what are the arguments against adding a simple expires time field? Or at least an active/inactive field.

It's just a small feature, and also allows for a central place for game and web plugins to disable admins.

Last edited by DJ Tsunami; 09-03-2013 at 11:55.