Raised This Month: $ Target: $400
 0% 

HLSW Issues Anyone?

Post New Thread Reply   

Hydrozilla
Old 11-17-2014 , 14:13   Re: HLSW Issues Anyone?
Reply With Quote #121

I use HLSW v1.4.0.2 , for several CSS servers. Mine gets chat logs every time I start it without clicking Get Log.
If you are having problems it very well may be the settings.

As said above it must be used in offline mode. So dont bother with the registration for a username password as they are not needed.

In server config add the line:

logaddress_add "xx.xx.xx.xxx:7130"
with your IP addy instead of the X's.

two other commands you may need to add if all else fails

sv_logsecret 0
log on

apparently some pluggins like gameme change logsecret to 1. you can turn that off by disabling the "Secure log" feature in your gameMe account.

In its default setup HLSW needs some tweaking to be usefull for me.
First of all go to the top and click Settings and settings again.
Click "startup" tab and make sure "login at startup" is unchecked.
also under startup select "last used server/serverlist"

Under the "rcon" tab in settings Ive checked "save server chat" and "save server log"
this creates log files in the HLSW directory of your computer. These can be found quickly by opening HLSW, click "file" at the top, click "view HLSW Appdata directory", the click "logs" folder. These log files are very handy and creates seperate ones for the chat and console.

Under the "misc" tab in settings I have these boxes checked:
"Auto update all servers in list if visible" mine is set to 5000 servers per minute

"Automatically add player name with known Global ID to global ID database"
By far the best feature of HLSW is the global id database. Make sure this box is checked.

"Show server selection menu if server is added by browser"

"Allow one instance"

"show HLSW at system tray"

These are the only boxes checked on the "misc" page in settings.

On the main screen in the "rcon" section where you place the rcon password I also have checked the boxes:
"retrieve log on map change"
and
"Auto update status"
this is critical to keep the info like steam ids and such rolling in.
this also allows you to click "console" tab in the rcon section and you can copy ip addys and such from there.

The global id database creates a file called "wonid.db7" that saves all the players who join your servers, all names they have used in the server and any comments you have added to their file. You can right click a player in the HLSW players window and use the global id database editor to edit their file. My friends and admins I change "type" to "friend". This highlights them in green in your list. trouble makers I change to "lamer" and they become red. People who Ive unbanned and should be watched I change type to "none", they show up as black. Peeps im goona perma ban are "blue" This all helps when sorting things out in the database. In the editor i sometimes save the reason for ban or their ip addy for future reference. These colors help alot, if a guy shows up in red I know we had probs with him before, no matter what name he is usin now.
You can and should save the wonid.db file on a back up somewhere. You can find it in the HLSW directory I mentioned above. You can then install HLSW on a new machine and delete the database, drop in your saved one and all your play info is there. I have been backing mine up for years and have 40,000 plus players on it. Players that were admins on a server I had 5 years ago show up as green even though they changed their name several times since. Also peeps I banned 5 years ago are marked as well.

One last but important thing is to click "view" and "view manager" and make a decent layout so HLSW is user friendly. The default layout sucks IMO. Mine has "server list" and "rules" sharing a split row at the top, "players" below that, and "rcon section" below that.
I run mine on a old netbook with a broken screen. It runs 24/7. I plugged a 19" LCD into it and it sits next to my 22" that I play on. So I can boot people, change maps ect without leaving my game. Its much easier to reach over and right click a player than to use the admin menu in game... Good luck

Sorry I rambled on but HLSW is great and works just fine. Just takes some tweaks.

Last edited by Hydrozilla; 11-17-2014 at 16:11.
Horsedick
AlliedModders Donor
Old 11-17-2014 , 22:20   Re: HLSW Issues Anyone?
Reply With Quote #122

Nice write up Hydrozilla...the part about "Automatically add player name with known Global ID to global ID database" is useful however I'm having an issue with say on a trade server I track that no longer shows Global ID(steam iD's) or even GID Names when this is checked or server ID but yet I have a MvM server for example that shows all this just fine.

Now I'd love to know what I need to do server side to fix this or whatever but this started happening ever since they changed how steamID's were with steamid3 a few months back.

Examples: Trade server shows this:

And the MvM server shows this:

Ade
I love purple
Old 11-18-2014 , 07:19   Re: HLSW Issues Anyone?
Reply With Quote #123

nice one with disablin login at startup, i might add that to my tut: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mg8HIk8-lRY (which shows how to personalize views and my suggestion is a lot like your preference)

not sure how helpful 'save server chat' is, since hlsw stops fetchin logs from time to time anyway and u will have full logs on server anyways

if the global id database is saved locally, it's not much help for those that use it from more than 1 place

I think 'retrieve log on map change is on by default and works ok once you actually start to get the logs (main issue of the thread)

"Auto update status" will prolly spam rcon status command, not sure you want that, manually is fine for me

thx

Last edited by Ade; 11-18-2014 at 07:20.
Horsedick
AlliedModders Donor
Old 11-22-2014 , 12:27   Re: HLSW Issues Anyone?
Reply With Quote #124

Hydrozilla, if you get a chance to read my reply and look at those screen shots Id love to find a solution to this issue if you know one.
Hydrozilla
Old 11-23-2014 , 09:42   Re: HLSW Issues Anyone?
Reply With Quote #125

Im not up to speed on the steamid3, I've only used hlsw for CSS so Im afraid im not goona be much help to ya. Seems alot of peeps having problems with it for Team fortess 2 and GO, if the servers have gameme. Thats where sv_logsecret comes in. It must be set to zero. It doesnt seem to affect my CSS servers no matter what its set too. Heres some of what I just read. good luck

http://forums.steampowered.com/forum...php?p=22110689
Maxximou5
AlliedModders Donor
Old 11-23-2014 , 15:24   Re: HLSW Issues Anyone?
Reply With Quote #126

CS:GO doesn't use steamid3 yet and still uses the regular steamid, but I know TF2 does. When they switch to S3 I have no idea, maybe someone else here does.

Has anyone had trouble with the Auto Update Server List not taking the update variable change?

Hydrozilla, good guide on HLSW, never realized there was an option for bypassing the login. Thanks for that.
Horsedick
AlliedModders Donor
Old 11-23-2014 , 19:52   Re: HLSW Issues Anyone?
Reply With Quote #127

Aww now wait a moment..this makes sense. I'm using HLstats on the ones that show everything globalID and such now but on the trades I don't use the plugin cause well I don't want it spamming players chat boxes with stats. I wonder if there is a way to use the HLstats plugin but have it not post messages to players in chat about stats.

edit: wait I can prob use the cvar hlx_block_commands... will test

Last edited by Horsedick; 11-23-2014 at 19:54.
Horsedick
AlliedModders Donor
Old 11-24-2014 , 13:35   Re: HLSW Issues Anyone?
Reply With Quote #128

Ok for anyone wanting to know the solution to my problem I found that if I have superlogs-tf2 plugin that it will report all the proper GlobalID and other parts that are missing shown in the graphics I posted above.
pilger
Old 01-06-2015 , 18:16   Re: HLSW Issues Anyone?
Reply With Quote #129

Anyone got HLSW to work lately? It's been completely broken to me, even with the logaddress_add trick. Doesn't seem to fetch any log.
Old 01-06-2015 , 19:22   Re: HLSW Issues Anyone?
Reply With Quote #130

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilger View Post
Anyone got HLSW to work lately? It's been completely broken to me, even with the logaddress_add trick. Doesn't seem to fetch any log.
Mine is working fine at the moment using the tactics I've mentioned above along with adding logaddress_add IP# to my autoexec.cfg file.