What does it do?
Allows for more than 4 survivors to play on a co-op or survival map
How do I use it?
You must directly connect to your server.
(Do not use a lobby as it locks the game mode to match the original lobby.
an be used to circumvent the lobby check. (Windows only)
To play with more than 8 humans, use Left 4 Downtown extension
which overrides max player checks (Windows & Linux).
Once everyone has joined your server, the admin types '/sm_l8d_menu
' into chat and is presented with a menu to choose between co-op or survival mode. Once selected, a menu for map choice is presented. Map changes to specified mode and infected become spectator. Bots are spawned and spectators are automatically given control.
Originally Posted by DDR Khat
+Players can always connect to the server until it is maxed out (May need the Metamod plugin to force your server into a constant 8 slot) this works by tricking the server into versus mode for 0.1 seconds when the player sends a connect signal
+3 commands to handle later-joiners. *1
+sm_l8d_hardzombies - a new command, if you want mass hordes rather than expert mode, you can use this to increase zombie count. This increases the zombie horde amount in multiples of 30 up to 6 (180!) Anything above the value of 3 (90) will cause periods of lag but it's still GREAT fun watching masses run towards players
1 will reset the values to normal.
+Bot "Cleanup" now done. Whenever there is more than 4 survivors and a player disconnects the bot taking over gets removed.
makes the client perform "jointeam 2" (helpful for those without console). This will take control of a spare bot when they are alive.
This will create a bot to join the game, IF survivors have not left the safe-room it will spawn immediately, if not, they will spawn in a closet at somepoint through the game. Players unfortunately cannot take control of this bot until their "alive" (rescued).
This allows players to go "AFK" (in the chance the option doesn't work, and they do not have the console) , if you do this and you're more than 4 survivors, you will need to use !joingame to rejoin.
I am not the originator of this original eight player methodology, and have only automated it and removed the need for sv_cheats. Plugin now includes various enhancements over the original scripts.
Game engine only tracks the 4 primary survivors for certain game elements:
- Witches attack only the primary 4 survivors. A clone can startle her, and she will attack the first instance of that survivor.
- Incap counts seem to count for all the individual character types (reported by death_hawk)
- Max 3 people per closet (reported by death_hawk)
- After failing a round, clones might spawn with primary's load-out. (reported by Hunterbrute)
Will not work on servers forcing versus only E.g. 'director_no_human_zombies 0' in server.cfg (reported by an0n1mus1
Conflicts with L4D Team/Score plugin (reported by ChillyWI
Planned Future Features
Store survivor load-out for restoration on map failure
Have witch attack nearest survivor (berserk) rather than target only primaries
Reassign witch harasser to correct client
Custom skins for clones
Friendly fire settings
Admin menu intergration
Connection handling code and director manipulation created by DDR Khat
Uses modified source from [L4D] Extra Players
created by devicenull
Expert mode change idea from [L4D] Director Controller (All4Dead)
created by grandwazir
Concept discovered at Left 12 Dead
Server testing at joe.to
with special thanks to knoid
Map entity research using EntEd
created by sys
L4D event research using l4d_events
L4D hidden cvars using cvar_list
Support for direct lobby connection through Left 4 Downtown extension
(Shows people getting First Expert Campaign completion achievement - Zombicidal Maniac)
(Nice demonstration of the in game menu)
(8 players taking down a tank on BH finale)
1.0 - 4/6/09
1.1 - 4/7/09
- Spawns appropriate number of bots for spectators
- Cleaned up start logic
- Added chat message coloring
- Set reference URL to this forum post
1.2 - 4/7/09
- reverted 'Spawns appropriate number of bots for spectators'
1.3 - 4/8/09
- Added map vote option
1.4 - 4/9/09
- Weapon caches now have enough supplies for everyone to choose what they want.
- Eight first-aid kits are supplied in starting areas.
- Teleport extra survivors away during finale cutscene
- Configuration file (/cfg/sourcemod/l8d.cfg)
- Difficulty cvar (sm_l8d_difficulty)
- Optional cvar to only spawn bots for human spectators (sm_l8d_noextrabots)
1.4.1 - 4/10/09
- Added sb_all_bot_team cvar setting back
1.4.2 - 4/13/09 (Created by DDR Khat)
- Players can always connect to the server until it is maxed out
- sm_l8d_hardzombies - allows mass hordes rather than expert mode
- Bot "Cleanup" now done
1.4.3 - 4/13/09 (Created by DDR Khat)
- Hotfix Removes the "Versus" map requirement to enable Left8Dead
- Renamed primary console command to 'sm_l8d_menu'
- Survival support
- Code cleanup
BETA releases are posted to this thread, so check every page to see if you issue has been resolved.