Raised This Month: $32 Target: $400
 8% 

In-Game Notes v.1.0

Post New Thread Reply   

Plugin Info:     Modification:   ALL        Category:   Technical/Development        Approver:   Styles (6)
Pro Patria Finland
Old 07-21-2008 , 16:56   In-Game Notes v.1.0
Reply With Quote #1

I created this small plugin for myself, but I though it'd be good to share it. I don't know if any other plugins can do the same or if this can be achieved in other ways, but this is the simplest method I came up with.

The basic idea is, that usually when debugging a plugin, or just testing one I usually come up with new ideas and improvements... but after a hearty 15 minutes of playing I've already forgotten what I came up with. So, why not log your thoughts in game? I've made this admin only, and the plugin is aimed mostly at developing purposes.

Usage:
Ingame command:
Code:
say log All this text after the word log will be logged in a file
say_team log Also, all this text after the word will be logged in a file
Result in mode 0, in the Amxx logfile:
Code:
Map: <mapname> <user>: All this text after the word log will be logged in a file
Map: <mapname> <user>: Also, all this text after the word will be logged in a file
Result in mode 1, in a custom logfile:
Code:
<date> <time> <mapname> <user>: All this text after the word log will be logged in a file
<date> <time> <mapname> <user>: Also, all this text after the word will be logged in a file

Logging modes:
There are two ways of logging. On mode 0 your desired logged text will be logged directly to the Amxx logs. On mode 1 your desired log text will be logged to an external file (located in the cstrike folder).

Cvar's:
log_mode 0 - Logging mode, defaults to "0"
log_filename "notes" - Logging file's name, this default will result in cstrike\notes.txt
Attached Files
File Type: sma Get Plugin or Get Source (ingame_notes.sma - 1775 views - 1.4 KB)

Last edited by Pro Patria Finland; 07-22-2008 at 03:48.
{PHILMAGROIN}
Old 07-22-2008 , 08:42   Re: In-Game Notes v.1.0
Reply With Quote #2

This is a very useful plugin actually. im not the best coder but it helps remember stuff if u are editing a plugin or somethin. also if your just playing in your server and you want to add something or even take note of a player that may be cheating? idk i like the concept +karma
Old 07-22-2008 , 10:04   Re: In-Game Notes v.1.0
Reply With Quote #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by {PHILMAGROIN} View Post
This is a very useful plugin actually. im not the best coder but it helps remember stuff if u are editing a plugin or somethin. also if your just playing in your server and you want to add something or even take note of a player that may be cheating? idk i like the concept +karma
Thanks a lot.

Yeah, basically you can use this plugin to write down stuff ingame without the hassle in looking for a pen and paper, or bringing up notepad. It's fast just to write the thing down in chat, and voilá.

I thought about adding a third mode, a per-map logfile (creates or appends to a logfile name after the map that's played), but I didn't find it necessary. I'd like to keep this simple. But any thoughts on this?
Old 07-22-2008 , 10:56   Re: In-Game Notes v.1.0
Reply With Quote #4

Looks great, you could add a command to open the notes in a motd window for reading
Pro Patria Finland
Old 07-22-2008 , 11:38   Re: In-Game Notes v.1.0
Reply With Quote #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toster v2.1 View Post
Looks great, you could add a command to open the notes in a motd window for reading
That's actually not a bad idea. I'll propably add that feature to the next release
Veteran Member
Old 07-22-2008 , 12:31   Re: In-Game Notes v.1.0
Reply With Quote #6

Very useful.
i miss your way in making outstanding plugins...
this forum needs lots of the likes of you..... and less of the idiots that spread right now.
bmann_420
AMX_Super Pooper
Old 07-22-2008 , 19:05   Re: In-Game Notes v.1.0
Reply With Quote #7

Awesome

Weather or not your a coder, you can always add notes for maps, or cvars and misc things anytime. its better than having to leave during the game just to make sure it gets done. Totally Useful
Old 07-23-2008 , 11:52   Re: In-Game Notes v.1.0
Reply With Quote #8

I am thinking I could go on to do two different versions after the next release. I could implement the simple MOTD-system to the next one. Then write a heavier version and release it as a plugin of it's own, that could actually read the log's and filter the log messages by the users will. (Showing only errors, or admin commands or only own log messages etc.) Basically releasing a "lite" version for those like me who just want to log a few things and keep things simple, and an advanced version which takes more resources but has a bunch more features which some don't need.
Veteran Member
Old 07-23-2008 , 16:15   Re: In-Game Notes v.1.0
Reply With Quote #9

A suggestion. Is it possible to add for all admins who are on server apiece own In game notes? Example : I have 6 admins on my server including me and create for each admin those notes to see what admin did something wrong.
So admin "A" have own notes, admin "B" have own notes, admin "C" have own notes and including my self I have own notes and that all will save just like this in game notes.
Thanks ... And if You want to.
i miss your way in making outstanding plugins...
this forum needs lots of the likes of you..... and less of the idiots that spread right now.
Dr. Jan Itor
Veteran Member
Old 07-23-2008 , 16:39   Re: In-Game Notes v.1.0
Reply With Quote #10

this plugin sounds nice gj