Raised This Month: $12 Target: $400
 3% 

TF2: Parent Buildables To Moving Entities (Elevators, Cars etc)

Post New Thread Reply   

Author
teddyruxpin
Overseer of lost packets
Plugin ID:
Plugin Version:
Plugin Category:
Gameplay
Plugin Game:
Team Fortress 2
Plugin Dependencies:
    Servers with this Plugin:

Plugin Description:
    Allows players to build a Sentry Gun and parent it to a moving entity such as a car in Mario_Kart or a elevator in other maps. Works for any engineer buildable object
    Old 03-27-2008 , 16:32   TF2: Parent Buildables To Moving Entities (Elevators, Cars etc)
    Reply With Quote #1

This is a first plugin for me. With the assistance from WoZeR at 3-PG I was able to put this together. The plug-in allows you to build on moving entities such as cars in Mario_Kart or Elevators in other levels. Also allows you to build on pretty much any prop_physics (IE the companion cube).

Have been running this now for 2 weeks with no issues. Makes for great tank wars if you increase the max number of allowed SG's per player.

Looking for help to expand this to make a stronger SG with more ammo and HP as these are used on my 100% Crit server and need a little more 'unf'. Please MSG me if you are able to assist.

-Teddy
    Attached Files
    File Type: zip build_parent.zip (3.8 KB, 2598 views)
    File Type: sp Get Plugin or Get Source (build_parent.sp - 4413 views - 2.8 KB)
    File Type: smx build_parent.smx (2.5 KB, 1472 views)

Last edited by teddyruxpin; 03-27-2008 at 22:12. Reason: Fixed Naming and Errors.
    toazron1
    Old 03-27-2008 , 21:29   Re: TF2: Parent Buildables To Moving Entities (Elevators, Cars etc)
    Reply With Quote #2

Excellent. I can't wait to try it out.

2 things right off the bat, first you want to post the .sp rather then the .txt file and you have an unused function at the bottom ( public OnMapStart() ) just chilling there.

Also replace:
    PHP Code:
    public Plugin:myinfo =
    {

name "Buildable Parenting",

author "WoZeR - Teddy Ruxpin",

description "Allows buildable objects to parent with moving entities",

version 1.0,

url "http://www.layeredtech.com"

with

PHP Code:
     public Plugin:myinfo =
     {

name "Buildable Parenting",

author "WoZeR - Teddy Ruxpin",

description "Allows buildable objects to parent with moving entities",

version PLUGIN_VERSION,

url "http://www.layeredtech.com"

this uses your verison variable and fixes the compile warning.

Last edited by toazron1; 03-27-2008 at 21:37. Reason: additional suggestion
    Send a message via AIM to toazron1
    teddyruxpin
    Overseer of lost packets
    Old 03-27-2008 , 22:00   Re: TF2: Parent Buildables To Moving Entities (Elevators, Cars etc)
    Reply With Quote #3

Thanks for the tips. I will get it cleaned up and uploaded shortly.

Jeremy

EDIT: This is completed.

Last edited by teddyruxpin; 03-27-2008 at 22:12.
    Scuzzy
    Old 03-27-2008 , 23:00   Re: TF2: Parent Buildables To Moving Entities (Elevators, Cars etc)
    Reply With Quote #4

Quote:
    Originally Posted by teddyruxpin View Post
    if you increase the max number of allowed SG's per player.
    Which offset would you modify to do that?
    SixSicSix
    Old 03-27-2008 , 23:15   Re: TF2: Parent Buildables To Moving Entities (Elevators, Cars etc)
    Reply With Quote #5

Works great! Thanks for your work, it's absolutely amazing. I'll be linking people here if they ask about it
    teddyruxpin
    Overseer of lost packets
    Old 03-28-2008 , 01:45   Re: TF2: Parent Buildables To Moving Entities (Elevators, Cars etc)
    Reply With Quote #6

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Scuzzy View Post
    Which offset would you modify to do that?
    Not the best method but I modified the 'objects.txt' file in the srcds install directory to allow for 2-4 SG's, 4 Teles and 2 Dispensers per Engie. We did have it set to no limit earlier and it crashed the server once several hundred SG's where made.

C:\Program Files\Valve\HLServer\srcds\orangebox\tf\scrip ts\objects.txt

Modify the file above and then restart your game for the changes to take affect. Note you can also change the cost per object there and how fast they are built. Keep in mind this file will get overwritten with each update which is why I say its not the best method. Once you have that change done you will need to bind a 'build' key. I use 'bind "7" "build 3"' and it will then provide me with a PDA option to drop a SG where I wish. Use build build 0 -> 3 for Dispenser, Tele out, Tele In and SG.

-Jeremy
    Skyrider
    AMX Mod X Beta Tester
    Old 04-01-2008 , 03:11   Re: TF2: Parent Buildables To Moving Entities (Elevators, Cars etc)
    Reply With Quote #7

Awesome! Will install this later on today on my own server, this sounds nifty.
    Overseer of lost packets
    Old 04-01-2008 , 18:54   Re: TF2: Parent Buildables To Moving Entities (Elevators, Cars etc)
    Reply With Quote #8

Am I missing something to get this plugin moved to the "Approved Section" or is it just a matter of time for someone to look into the code and try it themselves? Let me know if something is missing please.

Thanks,

Jeremy
    DontWannaName
    Veteran Member
    Old 04-01-2008 , 20:07   Re: TF2: Parent Buildables To Moving Entities (Elevators, Cars etc)
    Reply With Quote #9

I tried using it once but the trains move so fast you cant build with them on a public server before you get killed.

teddyruxpin
    Overseer of lost packets
    Old 04-01-2008 , 22:18   Re: TF2: Parent Buildables To Moving Entities (Elevators, Cars etc)
    Reply With Quote #10

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DontWannaName View Post
    I tried using it once but the trains move so fast you cant build with them on a public server before you get killed.
    Not really ment for cp_well or ctf_well type trains as they move way to fast and would destroy any buildable attached to them. This plugin is more for maps where there is active elevators players can use, Dynamic props like cubes etc that can be shot around and built on and cars, trucks or anything else that runs on a HL1 'tracktrain' type system where the cars are moving. IE Mario_Kart / Mario_Kart_CP

Thanks,

Jeremy