SM Quake Sounds FAQ
Q: I want to add sound sets but I don't know how to do it.
A: That is because I provided absolutely no documentation on how to do it.
Q: So, can you tell me how?
- The top of the addons/sourcemod/config/quakesoundlist.cfg file has a section called "sound sets". Inside this section are 5 places to have sound sets. First add a short name of your sound into one these.
- Next you need to add a line to each of the sound keys in the file using that short name that has a path to the sound file relative to the sound/ directory.
- Next you need to go the addons/sourcemod/translations/plugin.quakesounds.txt file and add a key for your sound set.
- Lastly, don't forget to add the sound files to your server.
- If all this sounds confusing than just look at the standard and female sound configurations and do the same thing for your sounds.
Q: What if I want to have more than 5 sound sets.
A: Then your players will hate you for making them download that many sounds. But, if you REALLY want to do this then you will need to edit the script or send me a note and ask me for a custom copy.
Q: What if I want to remove one of the existing sound sets?
A: Just change the sound set data to ""
Q: I want the DOMINATING sound to be played at 5 kills instead of 4.
A: That is not a question, but I will pretend that it was and answer it anyway. In the addons/sourcemod/config/quakesoundlist.cfg there is data for "kills". You can change the values to whatever you need to.
Q: What does "config" "9" mean?
A: It means play the sound and display the text to everyone. Here is a complete description of how to set that feild.
The field now works as follows
1: Play sound to everyone
2: Play sound to attacker
4: Play sound to victim
8: Print text to everyone
16: Print text to attacker
32: Print text to victim
You need to add the above values to get your value
If you want to play sounds and text to everyone 1 + 8 = 9
If you want to print text to everyone but only want sounds to play for those involved: 2 + 4 + 8 = 14
Q: Your version numbering scheme is really confusing.
A: It makes perfect sense when you consider that I have changed the versioning scheme three times without any announcement. The current versioning scheme as of version 1.3 looks like this x.y.z. A change in x is called a major release. A change in y is a feature release. A change in z is fix or minor upgrade. Changes in z never require updating configuration files. You can just overwrite your quakesounds.smx file.
Q: I was looking at the changelog and I noticed that you are always fixing bugs. Wouldn't it be easier just to write the plugins without all the bugs?
A: Yes, but then I wouldn't have anything to do to pass the time.
Q: Doesn't all this configuration seem overly complicated? Couldn't we make it simpler?
Q: I installed the plugin but it will not load.
A: Make sure you installed all the files. If you open the distribution you should be able to just drop that into your cstrike or dod folder.
Q: I made sure to copy the latest copy of all the files but it still doesn't work.
A: Check your server logs and addons/sourcemod/logs for errors and then post into this thread.
Q: I want to use your plugin with a mod other than CS:S, DOD:S or HL2DM, will it work?
A: I have no idea. If you post what mod you want it to work with I am glad to check it out. I might need your help to test it though.
Q: I was playing on our server earlier and we had this one guy get like 25 kills in a row and profanity came up on the screen and played over my speakers! How do I make it stop?
A: There are two ways to fix this problem:
- Stop letting your players get so many consecutive kills.
- Change the addons/sourcemod/configs/quakesoundlist.cfg and addons/sourcemod/translations/plugin.quakesounds.txt to play/display whatever you want.
Q: I set sm_quakesounds_who to 3 but everyone is still hearing the sounds. What is going on?
A: sm_quakesounds_who, sm_quakesounds_female, sm_quakesounds_min_kills and quite a few others have been deprecated between 1.0 and 1.4. They have been replaced by more flexible configuration in the addons/sourcemod/configs/quakesoundlist.cfg file.
Q: All the text displays are in English. I hate english! Why don't you have more translations?
A: That is because I only know english and as of 1.4 nobody has bothered to submit any translations.