Raised This Month: $ Target: $400
 0% 

[miscstats.amx] Announcements over crosshair area on 640x480

kobri
Old 02-12-2007 , 07:40   [miscstats.amx] Announcements over crosshair area on 640x480

When players with long nicks get announced for killingspree, multikill, etc. the text obstructs the view in the very center of the screen! A possible solution is to move all the announcements away from the vertical center or split them on multiple lines.

http://about.me/kobri
Send a message via Skype™ to kobri
BAILOPAN
Old 02-12-2007 , 12:43   Re: [miscstats.amx] Announcements over crosshair area on 640x480

I think you're going to have to let go on this one. Most players don't run 640x480 these days, and most players don't have ridiculously long names. Changing the position of the hud messages would require making sure all other positions still work nicely and that people actually like the new positions, to appease a minority.

My suggestion for you is if you're running a server and have users in 640x480 mode, to alter the positioning yourself. The function is set_hudmessage and ShowHudSyncMsg, both of which have an [x,y] parameter. (They both go from 0.0 to 1.0, starting from the upper left. -1.0 means dead-center.)
Old 02-13-2007 , 04:54   Re: [miscstats.amx] Announcements over crosshair area on 640x480

Bailopan, I have great respect for you and the whole amxmodx community, it is true that most of the casual players and/or LCD users are running high resolutions, however the majority of the CS veterans still go for the 640x480 and it is truly annoying with all this stuff getting in the most important area of our screens

Editing the plugin source myself, or "borrowing" it from amxmod was the first thing I thought of, yet still wanted to inform you about this issue on behalf of all the lowres players, which are by no means a minority!

http://about.me/kobri
Send a message via Skype™ to kobri
BAILOPAN
Old 02-13-2007 , 12:13   Re: [miscstats.amx] Announcements over crosshair area on 640x480

From a large statistics sampling I have access to:

640x480 - 3,294 users
800x600 - 12,290 users
1024x768 - 4,972 users

That would make lowres users about 13% of the mixup, which is definitely a minority.

In the end, it's not that I have a problem changing the hud positions - it's that there are plugins out there which are specifically coded around the stats messages being where they are. As soon as we significantly change those, someone is going to come around and say 'Hey, why does my plugin now have overlapping text when I upgraded AMX Mod X?'

However, I'm going to leave this report open for the future. Though I don't see it being patched for 1.77, it might not be a bad idea to toggle "low-res safe" positions through a #define.
AlliedModders Donor
Old 02-13-2007 , 12:54   Re: [miscstats.amx] Announcements over crosshair area on 640x480

Those statistics wouldn't be representative of CS players as whole either, since they are derived from a community that contains a high proportion of "CS veterans".