Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

The Arena [Advanced knife arena]

Post New Thread Reply   

Plugin Info:     Modification:   Counter-Strike        Category:   Fun Stuff        Approver:   Emp` (115)
MrDev
Old 01-21-2007 , 17:51   The Arena [Advanced knife arena]
Reply With Quote #1

The Arena (BETA)
---------------------------------------------------------------

This is the first version of my Arena script. While there's alot to be added I felt like now would be a good time to release it

The mod focus around honor points (yes like in wow) and while they're not implemented yet, the basic struture is there. Favorable actions gives points and points gives the ability to gain new spells.

Basic gameplay:
The mod is knife only! No guns or whatever. I felt like this would create a more fun mod where spells don't just help kill the enemy, but where they're the primary damage dealing. Currently there's 5 classes in the arena. Every class has a offensive, defensive, maintaning, escaping and class specific spell. Nearly all effects stack so battles can become very team oriented. Also armor plays a huge role - Every class starts with different armor.

Necromancer:
Can summon a spirit ward. Dealing damage to all around it, make his dagger do extra damage to enemies (or become hurt himself) - can cast fear which makes enemies unable to control their class for some time and drainlife which, while the link is active, takes life from the opponent.

Warrior:
Can learn spell immunity, Fire totem which gives health to all around it, Enrage which mark the target and while the target is marked and damaged by the warrior will become stunned and wrath.

Cleric:
Cleric is the primary healer and can learn spells such a healing wave, vengenace and chain lightning. Also have ground slam which will daze all around him.

Rogue:
Has backstab ability which will stun the enemy if he can't be seen. Also have invisible and focus which makes the rogue invisible to all except his target - but at the same time the rogue can only see his target. The rogue can also make a totem which will increase speed of nearly friends.

Archmage:
Have blink, poision nova, arcane empowder and ground totem. The totem will detonate after a while doing damage to all enemies around it. This damage (ignite) will continue until the enemy does damage.

And alot of spells which I have forgotten.

All effects stack, so fighting where you place alot of totems can be a really good idea Warriors have alot of armor and can take alot of punches where mage dies quickly.

Added since first release:
---------------------------------------------
22/1
1. Select class will now kill you if you're alive
2. Added scoreboard update on spell kill
3. Using debug directive instead of static variable now
4. Moved all models and sprites to a seperate folder Arena\ as to make it easier for server admins to see which files belong where
5. Added autohelp for new users which will show info each round
6. Other small optimizations in the code.

23/1
1. Added more autohelp
2. Changed all public functions to stock where public was not nessesary
3. Changed the cooldown on mostly all the spells.
4. You no longer die when you change class and exit

Screenshots
----------------------------------------------

To add later:
----------------------------------------------
Point system, new spells and safepoint in mysql database - please report any
error here.

And properly alot of balance fixes, as the mod haven't been tested large scale yet. I'm sure some classes are pretty imbalanced as of now

The Sma script file can be found in the zip file along with everyelse needed for the mod
http://www.mortengryning.dk/Arenav5.zip

Last edited by MrDev; 01-23-2007 at 14:58.
SweatyBanana
BANNED
Old 01-21-2007 , 18:05   Re: The Arena [Advanced knife arena]
Reply With Quote #2

First off, attach the files on this website..

Second of all.. Ewwwww at your excessive use of if statements..
Send a message via AIM to SweatyBanana Send a message via Yahoo to SweatyBanana
Old 01-21-2007, 18:27
Hawk552
This message has been deleted by Hawk552. Reason: yeah, I was wrong
Old 01-21-2007, 19:12
MrDev
Old 01-21-2007, 19:28
SweatyBanana
Old 01-21-2007, 19:45
stupok
Old 01-21-2007, 19:55
MrDev
Old 01-21-2007, 20:07
Hawk552
Old 01-21-2007, 20:12
MrDev
Old 01-21-2007, 20:26
Hawk552
Old 01-21-2007, 20:40
stupok
This message has been deleted by Hawk552. Reason: stupid?
stupok
Veteran Member
Old 01-21-2007 , 20:44   Re: The Arena [Advanced knife arena]
Reply With Quote #3

*rofl*

@MrDev
If you can you should attach the files on the forum instead of another website.

Also, I'd suggest putting the custom models and sprites in their own folders within the models and sprites folders. For example, "cstrike/models/Arena/" instead of "cstrike/models/". It's just a bit more clear that way, in my opinion.

This plugin is seriously cool so far. I really like the way you do spells, no need to bind anything . I'd suggest an option to have some info displayed on your screen, though, for people that are new to the plugin. It should display the 5 combinations and the name of the spells or brief description of the spells, and cooldown time as it decreases. I didn't know you could recolor the on-screen sprites/images, but it looks good to me. Also, you can use f1 instead of a say command to change classes, look at GabenMod for an example. I don't think clients should be able to switch classes on the fly, but on death or a new round.

I didn't have anyone else in the server for testing, so that's all I can come up with.

Last edited by stupok; 01-21-2007 at 21:27.
Old 01-21-2007, 21:02
Zenith77
SweatyBanana
BANNED
Old 01-21-2007 , 23:43   Re: The Arena [Advanced knife arena]
Reply With Quote #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by stupok69 View Post
@MrDev
If you can you should attach the files on the forum instead of another website.
they are both too big..
Send a message via AIM to SweatyBanana Send a message via Yahoo to SweatyBanana
Emp`
AMX Mod X Plugin Approver
Old 01-22-2007 , 01:22   Re: The Arena [Advanced knife arena]
Reply With Quote #5

Please use a define for whether or not to debug, because it will reduce the code for users not planning on debuging.

Also note that at times you call the function halflife_time() multiple times when you can easily just store it.

Also, you don't need to have all/most of your functions public.

Will look over more of your code tomorrow.
Send a message via AIM to Emp` Send a message via MSN to Emp` Send a message via Yahoo to Emp` Send a message via Skype™ to Emp`
MrDev
Old 01-22-2007 , 05:55   Re: The Arena [Advanced knife arena]
Reply With Quote #6

Quote:
Also, I'd suggest putting the custom models and sprites in their own folders within the models and sprites folders. For example, "cstrike/models/Arena/" instead of "cstrike/models/". It's just a bit more clear that way, in my opinion.

This plugin is seriously cool so far. I really like the way you do spells, no need to bind anything . I'd suggest an option to have some info displayed on your screen, though, for people that are new to the plugin. It should display the 5 combinations and the name of the spells or brief description of the spells, and cooldown time as it decreases. I didn't know you could recolor the on-screen sprites/images, but it looks good to me. Also, you can use f1 instead of a say command to change classes, look at GabenMod for an example. I don't think clients should be able to switch classes on the fly, but on death or a new round.

I didn't have anyone else in the server for testing, so that's all I can come up with.
stupok69:
1. Ok. I'll guess that makes it more easy for server admins to delete the plugin after use, I'll fix that

2. F1.. That would be to change autobuy, what if the user has redefined that key? Would it still work then? I'll look at gabenmod, but thanks for the suggestion.

3. I guess changing only after the round has ended makes more sense, or maybe the user should be killed when they change class without a death. Forcing a death would also mean they (properly) would keep their own class longer.

Emp:
1. Will do, it's just a habit from java

2. It's not super optimized. I like it this way, but is the call to half_life() time expensive? There's many places where I, as to keep the syntax easier to read, do the same set of instructions twice. It's not optimal but it makes it easier to understand for me

3. About functions being public. Does it make any change to the amount of call instructions the function take? Since it's only "one" plugin - public would ofcourse be useless. I just saw lot of other do it so i tought that was the standard around here
Zenith77
Veteran Member
Old 01-22-2007 , 13:21   Re: The Arena [Advanced knife arena]
Reply With Quote #7

No, the use of public isn't standard, it's merely a misconception. The public key word reveals that function publicly to the Virtual Machine (VM) so that it call call/look up/etc the function for forwards and what not.

So in short here are some quick examples of functions that should and shouldn't be public.

Code:
// Should be, this this a forward and must be called externally (from AMXX). public Event_HudMessage() { return bla; } // This shouldn't be, since it's more of a helper function PrintToAllClients(const message[]) { client_print(0, print_chat, message); }

Last edited by Zenith77; 01-22-2007 at 20:13.
Hawk552
AMX Mod X Moderator
Old 01-22-2007 , 14:21   Re: The Arena [Advanced knife arena]
Reply With Quote #8

Basically the rule of thumb is this:

If you ever use the function in quotes or it is a forward (i.e. forward plugin_init), it must be public.

Otherwise, it can be private or a stock, although stocks are preferred when there is a good chance the user will not use the function at all (such as in a header file).
Old 01-23-2007 , 08:15   Re: The Arena [Advanced knife arena]
Reply With Quote #9

Done all what you said.. any chance I might get approved now?
Alka
AMX Mod X Plugin Approver
Old 01-23-2007 , 08:54   Re: The Arena [Advanced knife arena]
Reply With Quote #10

lol...it's working fine...I love it :X...but i can change the race en route of game.like in war3ft [/changerace]?!....GJ/