Raised This Month: $12 Target: $400
 3% 

EventScripts SCRIPT PACKS: How to use them

Post New Thread Reply   

ajax
Veteran Member
Old 05-20-2005 , 04:23   EventScripts SCRIPT PACKS: How to use them
Reply With Quote #1

Script Packs are a feature of EventScripts that allows users to take advantage of script mods with minimal coding or editing of CFG files. this thread provides instructions on how to install and use them -- this is basic installation. it can also serve as a guide for script pack writers to establish a standard of design.

since script packs are largely aimed at the most basic level of ES use, i'll start with a reminder to install the two mattie_eventscripts*.* files into your cstrike\addons directory. (the EventScripts file download for your platform can be found at http://mattie.info/cs/)

the following lines should be put into your cstrike\cfg\autoexec.cfg -- or into a file that is run by your autoexec (putting them in server.cfg is not recommended here for minor reasons). the order of these lines is important.

Code:
// in or run by autoexec.cfg
// EventScripts Configuration
mattie_eventscripts 1
eventscripts_subdirectory events
eventscripts_register scriptpack1
eventscripts_register scriptpack2
eventscripts_register scriptpack3
Explanation of Variables
mattie_eventscripts 1 - this line turns EventScripts ON (1) and OFF (0)
eventscripts_subdirectory events - this line is optional. it allows you to keep ES files in their own subdirectory, in this case cstrike\cfg\events. otherwise all the event CFG files would assume to be located in cstrike\cfg.
eventscripts_register <scriptpack name> - this turns the script pack "on" and should really be the only file editing required for installation of a script pack.

The Downloaded Script Pack
unzip your desired script pack folder into your eventscripts_subdirectory -- cstrike\cfg\events for example -- or your cstrike\cfg if you haven't declared one. keep all the contents of the script pack in its own subdirectory of its given name... for instance cstrike\cfg\events\firebug or cstrike\cfg\events\big_bang. the name of your script pack subdirectory should match the name in your eventscripts_register line.

Script Pack Configuration
some script packs will allow you to control certain variables or parameters. these should be clearly identified and explained in the script pack's installation instructions -- be it additional lines for your autoexec or settings in a config file (my preference). ideally these customizations would only be optional.

Ready to GO
restart your server so these new settings take effect. if that's undesireable, you can try executing your autoexec depending on what else it contains. however a server restart is recommended.
Mattie
Veteran Member
Old 05-20-2005 , 08:17  
Reply With Quote #2

Ajax-- this is wonderful, thanks so much for providing such clear, concise instructions on script pack use!

I hope you don't mind, but I editted out the quotes around your eventscripts_subdirectory because early on people had problems with it. (I don't know how/why, I'm just playing it safe.)

Also, I should mention that on Linux AMD machines, script command ordering may not work properly. I've yet to be able to resolve this issue. (No other platforms show this problem.)

-Mattie
ThinkingMan
Old 05-20-2005 , 15:20  
Reply With Quote #3

THANK YOU!!!
I was just going to post a request for exactly this type of basic guide. Given the issues I'm having with camperblast, which seem related to directory structures and registering script packs, it was obvious some basic instructions were neeed for new ES developers.

Mattie and the rest do a great job providing a reasonable level of documentation, especially considering they don't get paid to support ES (I assume).

Anyway, well done!

ThninkingMan
ajax
Veteran Member
Old 05-22-2005 , 11:40  
Reply With Quote #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric_Jedi
<script packs?> is that just something implemented in the code, that we need to add, or is there a link download for something ? Ive ben reading , and see script pack 1 2 3 to add to my auto exec, but dont see any packs to download. Can anyone assist?
scriptpack 1 2 and 3 were just generic names for actual script packs that people might create, like firebug, hs_count, big_bang, top_killer, killing_spree, etc. these are some of the script packs available (look for the threads), and some others might be listed in the Working Examples sticky. we could list them all here, but i really think that's what the Working Examples thread is for.

eventscripts involves modifying cfg files. simple scripts might just involve one file, but some more complex ones might involve many files including custom files. if you decide to add a script the non-scriptpack way, you must edit each of the files it involves. however if you are running several scripts, a file like player_death.cfg might have code from each of those scripts. to remove a script, you would have to go through all your cfg files and hope that you remember what code belonged to which script. needless to say it can get messy.

when a script creator puts it in script pack format, all a user needs to do is drop in the script pack subdirectory (and its self-contained files) and add a register line to his autoexec. the script pack files remain separate from other cfg's. the user can then turn the script on and off at will (even while the game is running) without needing to edit files.

the script pack format just makes scripts much more user friendly.

please feel free to post further questions in this thread.
faith
Old 05-29-2005 , 21:52   It dose't work
Reply With Quote #5

ok i have installed mattie event script and i type plugin_print and it shows it as running we joined the server once and it came up with the beting mod debug message now it dose't do nothing and i have install all the needed files for mani i use a linux server with mani mod version i can you help me. me and my clan really want to use this mod it seems wicked
ajax
Veteran Member
Old 05-29-2005 , 23:32   Re: It dose't work
Reply With Quote #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by faith
ok i have installed mattie event script and i type plugin_print and it shows it as running we joined the server once and it came up with the beting mod debug message now it dose't do nothing and i have install all the needed files for mani i use a linux server with mani mod version i can you help me. me and my clan really want to use this mod it seems wicked
did you get this working? it seems from your post in the other thread that you did get it to work.
McBain
Old 05-30-2005 , 12:43  
Reply With Quote #7

Will 'eventscripts_unregister scriptpack' turn off a particular scriptpack?
Send a message via ICQ to McBain
ajax
Veteran Member
Old 05-30-2005 , 13:09  
Reply With Quote #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBain
Will 'eventscripts_unregister scriptpack' turn off a particular scriptpack?
yes.

if you use eventscripts_register <scriptpack> while the game is running, the script pack may not function properly until the next map loads.
Mattie
Veteran Member
Old 05-30-2005 , 14:51  
Reply With Quote #9

FYI-- You can type "eventscripts_register" by itself to see a list of script packs you have registered or unregistered.