Raised This Month: $ Target: $400
 0% 

Reserves - Hopefully no dummy slot needed

Post New Thread Reply   

Fatty
Old 11-26-2004 , 01:15   Reserves - Hopefully no dummy slot needed
Reply With Quote #1

In 1.6 we ran AMX and had to use a dummy slot, so we had a 21 slot server because there needed to be a free spot for a client to connect to, thus providing their ID, enabling AMX to decide whether or not to make room for said client or deny them access.

Obviously when renting a server it's nice to not have empty slots sitting there. I have noticed, however, that in the Source console (and actually through reading logs) that the client connects and the ID is matched to one in the banned_users.cfg, thus the client is dropped (we at first begain to panic because when you ban someone, you can see them rejoin...but they aren't allowed to complete the connection).

My point is that I'm hoping this "detection" of an ID might be somehow used. Then again, if server is full, it might not even make it to this point in the connection process, and thus I've shone how little I know about all of this.

So anyways, I'm hoping we won't need to "hold" a slot for our reservists.
#gamerscoalition @ GameSurge
Send a message via AIM to Fatty
imported_malex
Old 11-26-2004 , 02:23  
Reply With Quote #2

There is alot we can speculate about and very little we can be certain of until the SDK is out.

\malex\
devicenull
Veteran Member
Old 11-26-2004 , 10:38  
Reply With Quote #3

The problem here is, afaik the steam client wont let you join a server with 16/16 players. At least it won't from the server browser (you can "connect server" just fine)
Old 11-26-2004 , 13:32  
Reply With Quote #4

doesnt sourcemod have better event handling and interception?

if so couldnt it retrieve the players steamid b4 the server connects it and sez its full and then from there the server could decide who to kick.

or possibly do to the advanced engine interface of sourcemod you could trick the engine into thinking it had an extra slot which is just a "virtual slot" for examining clients as they connect and determining whether to kick or keep ppl currently in the full server.
imported_malex
Old 11-26-2004 , 22:09  
Reply With Quote #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by malex
There is alot we can speculate about and very little we can be certain of until the SDK is out.

\malex\
\malex\
|2ob
Old 12-04-2004 , 14:13  
Reply With Quote #6

but now since the SDK is out.... is it possible?
64.247.24.125:27015

Visit Vitrus's Clan Site!

I would put more, but they have a limit on chars
Send a message via AIM to |2ob Send a message via MSN to |2ob
BAILOPAN
Old 12-04-2004 , 15:01  
Reply With Quote #7

I don't think it's possible for a server to see a player connecting before they connect.

Also, I think the FCC would want to regulate such wanton telepathy.
Johnny got his gun
Veteran Member
Old 12-04-2004 , 22:11  
Reply With Quote #8

XAD
Old 12-09-2004 , 04:49  
Reply With Quote #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by VashX
...if so couldnt it retrieve the players steamid b4 the server connects it and sez its full and then from there the server could decide who to kick.
Take a minute to understand how it works...

- When starting the server it allocates "player slots", based on maxplayers (which is also why you can't change it on a runnging server).
- When client connect it will get a "player slot" and the server will issue a authentication request to the Steam auth-servers (unless it is a LAN server). This is the reason authentication must be done after the client connected the server (as the server issues the request).
- When authentication request is returned to the server it will store the SteamID as "network ID".

All this is done and controlled in the engine so the mods will not be able to change it. The only thing the mods can do is to use extra slots for player authentication, as it was done in CS 1.6. Unfortenately valve "missed" the "visable maxplayer" cvar in CSS which allowed mods to hide the extra slots from the browser list.

What valve could have done is allowing clients authid to be requested in slots not part of the maxplayer limit, but then the server would have to check authids even if it is full which would use extra resources, also on the Steam auth-servers. As you know there is a retry option and the authentication process would be done for every retry from ever player wanting to get in on a full server.

/X