Raised This Month: $32 Target: $400
 8% 

unstable var spikes

Post New Thread Reply   

blekekok
Old 01-10-2022 , 23:01   unstable var spikes
Reply With Quote #1

Hi,

I'm trying to run a CS:GO server on a KVM VPS with 3vCPU @ 3.9GHz, 4GB RAM, 60GB Storage NVMe.

I'm using the 5.15.0-13.1-liquorix-amd64 kernel and tuned
But tuned is showing some errors when I try to verify. (Will this affect my performance?)
I am also using LinuxGSM to manage my servers

I'm currently experiencing var spikes to 0.080 and 0.200 - 0.800.
The lowest var I am able to achieve is 0.015.

I've seen someone achieving 0.00x var with the same server (same provider). But he is unable to provide any configs as it is confidential.

Is there anything I could do to improve and stabilize performance?

Thanks in advance
ThePwnt
AlliedModders Donor
Old 01-11-2022 , 02:31   Re: unstable var spikes
Reply With Quote #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by blekekok View Post
I've seen someone achieving 0.00x var with the same server (same provider). But he is unable to provide any configs as it is confidential.
Probably uses a dedicated server.

Quote:
KVM VPS with 3vCPU @ 3.9GHz, 4GB RAM, 60GB Storage NVMe.
There is not much you can do on a VPS. - You can not change performance that way. Therefore, a dedicated server is always a recommendation.

Quote:
My recommendations are you should consider a dedicated server in the future. - Example: Ryzen/i7/i9

Last edited by ThePwnt; 01-11-2022 at 02:32.
vijayar
Old 01-11-2022 , 03:07   Re: unstable var spikes
Reply With Quote #3

Quote:
Hi,

I'm trying to run a CS:GO server on a KVM VPS with 3vCPU @ 3.9GHz, 4GB RAM, 60GB Storage NVMe.

I'm using the 5.15.0-13.1-liquorix-amd64 kernel and tuned
But tuned is showing some errors when I try to verify. (Will this affect my performance?)
I am also using LinuxGSM to manage my servers

I'm currently experiencing var spikes to 0.080 and 0.200 - 0.800.
The lowest var I am able to achieve is 0.015.

Thanks in advance
VPS Providers usually set cores to work only at base freq. Also if using Intel they set only 1 thread instead of two that is required for CSGO. Having said that try lowering the number of players in your game mode and maybe set tick to 64 (if that works for your user base) and check the performance.

Last edited by vijayar; 01-11-2022 at 03:07.
blekekok
Old 01-11-2022 , 06:41   Re: unstable var spikes
Reply With Quote #4

Thanks for the reply,

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePwnt View Post
Probably uses a dedicated server.
AFAIK, the guy used a KVM VPS like mines as he didn't consider getting a dedicated one

Quote:
There is not much you can do on a VPS. - You can not change performance that way. Therefore, a dedicated server is always a recommendation.
I see that's a bit of a letdown.
I was able to achieve 0.00x var on a N2 2vCPU @ 2.8GHz and 4GB Google Cloud Server. But I didn't use any custom kernels or tuned.

Quote:
My recommendations are you should consider a dedicated server in the future. - Example: Ryzen/i7/i9
For now, getting a dedicated server isn't the best choice as it is really expensive and more expensive than getting a Google Cloud Server.
blekekok
Old 01-11-2022 , 06:43   Re: unstable var spikes
Reply With Quote #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijayar View Post
VPS Providers usually set cores to work only at base freq. Also if using Intel they set only 1 thread instead of two that is required for CSGO. Having said that try lowering the number of players in your game mode and maybe set tick to 64 (if that works for your user base) and check the performance.
Thanks for the reply,

I will only use the server for a 10 active players and 2 in spectator. Setting the tickrate to 64 would be an issue for the players, but after testing with 64 tick it did not change much in terms for sv and var.
ThePwnt
AlliedModders Donor
Old 01-11-2022 , 06:46   Re: unstable var spikes
Reply With Quote #6

Quote:
For now, getting a dedicated server isn't the best choice as it is really expensive and more expensive than getting a Google Cloud Server.
Depends what your budget is and which location.

I think, I can find something for you.
blekekok
Old 01-11-2022 , 13:48   Re: unstable var spikes
Reply With Quote #7

Quote:
Depends what your budget is and which location.

Thanks for replying,

I think, I can find something for you.
I don't really have a big budget. Just around 20 - 30USD. I live in Indonesia and that wouldn't be enough for a dedicated server (obviously). I am just wondering if there is a way to improve a KVM VPS server to achieve 0.00x.

I've seen someone else using the same provider with the same server type (KVM 3.9GHz Server). He was able to achieve 0.00x var with the same server type. The only issue is that he is unable to provide information for how he did it as it is private and personal which is totally understandable.

I am wondering if there are any configurations or tools I could use to improve my server performance & stabilize the server's var. Do I need to make my own custom kernel or using liquorix should be enough?

Because I've seen a server achieving 0.00x var on the same machine type as mines, I now know that it is possible for my server to achieve 0.00x var as well. I'm just not sure how to do it.
ThePwnt
AlliedModders Donor
Old 01-11-2022 , 13:59   Re: unstable var spikes
Reply With Quote #8

Quote:
I don't really have a big budget. Just around 20 - 30USD. I live in Indonesia and that wouldn't be enough for a dedicated server (obviously). I am just wondering if there is a way to improve a KVM VPS server to achieve 0.00x.

I've seen someone else using the same provider with the same server type (KVM 3.9GHz Server). He was able to achieve 0.00x var with the same server type. The only issue is that he is unable to provide information for how he did it as it is private and personal which is totally understandable.

I am wondering if there are any configurations or tools I could use to improve my server performance & stabilize the server's var. Do I need to make my own custom kernel or using liquorix should be enough?

Because I've seen a server achieving 0.00x var on the same machine type as mines, I now know that it is possible for my server to achieve 0.00x var as well. I'm just not sure how to do it.
Ah, I see.

It is not much you can do - You can try testing with a 64-tickrate, 128-tickrate taking more resources, so it will not be easy to hit 0.00x on VPS.

I have no idea what else you can do.

- I'm running self 0.00x (even 0.000-0.005 because paying enough for Ryzen 7 5800X - Located in France)

Last edited by ThePwnt; 01-11-2022 at 14:00.
blekekok
Old 01-14-2022 , 07:43   Re: unstable var spikes
Reply With Quote #9

Quote:
Ah, I see.

It is not much you can do - You can try testing with a 64-tickrate, 128-tickrate taking more resources, so it will not be easy to hit 0.00x on VPS.

I have no idea what else you can do.

- I'm running self 0.00x (even 0.000-0.005 because paying enough for Ryzen 7 5800X - Located in France)
Thanks for your help,

I still have no idea how to achieve 0.00x on my current VPS. Changing the tickrate didn't make a difference in terms of var/resources.

Knowing that this is possible, I'm still trying to figure out how he was able to achieve this.

Thanks again
asdfxD
Veteran Member
Old 01-14-2022 , 14:39   Re: unstable var spikes
Reply With Quote #10

You need a vServer with dedicated cores and a good single thread performance, no shared cores. Than you reach 0.00X. constantly with own made kernel. Most hosts sells shared cores and this is not a good idea.

Don't understand why everyone wants 0.00X or 0.000. i host windows and linux servers and i don't feel any difference between 0.300 var (Windows) and 0.000 in linux... just one thing is better, the hitreg on windows.

Last edited by asdfxD; 01-14-2022 at 14:41.