Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

Setting up multiple CS:GO servers

Post New Thread Reply   

MeTiu
Old 06-15-2020 , 09:27   Setting up multiple CS:GO servers
Reply With Quote #1

Hello,

I'm working for local tournament platform and recently we started to discuss CS:GO server hosting in our office. We will need these servers primarily for our online tournaments or as public cw/tg servers which can be accessed through reservation,so 13 slots max but we are also interested in actually hosting couple of modded servers with 32 slots.And...well...this will be my first server build and setup so I might be totally clueless in some areas.

I tried to research the topic of HW requirements for CS:GO server but I wasn't really successful.I only found out that for 1 server with source game like this you usually need 2 threads with speeds as high as possible and atleast 4GB of RAM per server...and also some hardware space.

Currently our setup will/could be:
AMD RYZEN Threadripper 2950X 16c/32t with 3,5GHz
64GB RAM (possible to go for 128 if needed)
1TB M.2 NVMe as storage

...internet speed is not an issue -> 900Mbps upload in the office.

What I'm asking is:
How many 13slot servers/How many slots could this machine handle?
What is the best approach to multiple servers on one machine without using VM?Does OS choice matter?
What is the best way to automate website-server communication and configuration,for result tracking,server configuration(pw and team names/flags),Ebot(or something better) and so on?
Is using an AMD cpu for cs:go server an issue?I read somewhere on steam forums that AMD has problems with 1000fps servers.

I know I might sound like "hey,just do all my work for me" but in reality,I just want to be pointed in the right direction

Thanks a lot in advance!

Edit: Servers will be 128tick,ofc

Last edited by MeTiu; 06-15-2020 at 09:28. Reason: additional info
ThePwnt
AlliedModders Donor
Old 06-15-2020 , 10:08   Re: Setting up multiple CS:GO servers
Reply With Quote #2

1) Depends how active the servers will be (with 13 slots)
2) Never run game-servers (from VM)
3) There is no problem with AMD Ryzen. I use self Ryzen 9 3900X -

There are no 1000FPS on CSGO Server, only CS 1.6 Server =)
MeTiu
Old 06-15-2020 , 10:17   Re: Setting up multiple CS:GO servers
Reply With Quote #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePwnt View Post
1) Depends how active the servers will be (with 13 slots)
Well during a tournament,obviously servers will have atleast 10 players playing on them.In later stages,there will be 12 or maybe even 13 users on the server,but only 4 servers will be occupied for example.

Quote:
2) Never run game-servers (from VM)
That's what I thought

Quote:
3) There is no problem with AMD Ryzen. I use self Ryzen 9 3900X
Thanks for info

Quote:
There are no 1000FPS on CSGO Server, only CS 1.6 Server =)
Thanks IDK I just read it somewhere on steam support site and thought it's cs:go related
Maxximou5
AlliedModders Donor
Old 06-15-2020 , 15:54   Re: Setting up multiple CS:GO servers
Reply With Quote #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeTiu View Post
What I'm asking is:
How many 13slot servers/How many slots could this machine handle?
What is the best approach to multiple servers on one machine without using VM?Does OS choice matter?
What is the best way to automate website-server communication and configuration,for result tracking,server configuration(pw and team names/flags),Ebot(or something better) and so on?
Is using an AMD cpu for cs:go server an issue?I read somewhere on steam forums that AMD has problems with 1000fps servers.
  1. You could run 14 servers optimally with virtually no overlapping or performance degradation. You want 1 server per core or 2 threads.
  2. Linux over windows if performance matters. Try Debian if you want the best support. You can always try any other distro as well and run the instances in docker containers. If you want a web panel, try out Pterodactyl or if you want command line go with LGSM.
  3. There are several different solutions: eBot - CSGOLeague - ModuleLift - Get5
  4. ThePwnt answered that for you. The performance can be different, that's it.
MeTiu
Old 06-16-2020 , 03:43   Re: Setting up multiple CS:GO servers
Reply With Quote #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxximou5 View Post
  1. You could run 14 servers optimally with virtually no overlapping or performance degradation. You want 1 server per core or 2 threads.
  2. Linux over windows if performance matters. Try Debian if you want the best support. You can always try any other distro as well and run the instances in docker containers. If you want a web panel, try out Pterodactyl or if you want command line go with LGSM.
  3. There are several different solutions: eBot - CSGOLeague - ModuleLift - Get5
  4. ThePwnt answered that for you. The performance can be different, that's it.
  1. So,basically,the scaling is always the same,1 server per core/2threads with alteast 3GHz core clock for 13 slot 128tick server...doesn't lower number of slots make room in performance for more servers? Also,2 cores should always be reserved for system,right?
  2. I've tried to run couple of distributions of Linux in the past and I'm still scared,but I guess you learn something new everyday.
  3. I have some experience with Ebot and it seems to me the best way to handle these things,but I will try all of them I guess,thanks!
Maxximou5
AlliedModders Donor
Old 06-16-2020 , 03:56   Re: Setting up multiple CS:GO servers
Reply With Quote #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeTiu View Post
  1. So,basically,the scaling is always the same,1 server per core/2threads with alteast 3GHz core clock for 13 slot 128tick server...doesn't lower number of slots make room in performance for more servers? Also,2 cores should always be reserved for system,right?
  2. I've tried to run couple of distributions of Linux in the past and I'm still scared,but I guess you learn something new everyday.
  3. I have some experience with Ebot and it seems to me the best way to handle these things,but I will try all of them I guess,thanks!
  1. Correct, 2 cores should be reserved for any server processes.
  2. Best to start with Debian and move onto others from there. Most everything you will need in this case is built for/from Debian. Feel free to message me if you have any questions, I'll answer if/when I can.
  3. Best of luck!