Raised This Month: $12 Target: $400
 3% 

AlliedModders post @mention?

Post New Thread Closed Thread   

CrazY.
Veteran Member
Old 02-09-2019 , 18:39   AlliedModders post @mention?

Hello, would be good if user were notified when someone mention (@"nickname") his name in a post. What do you think?

Last edited by CrazY.; 02-09-2019 at 18:40.
thEsp
BANNED
Old 02-10-2019 , 07:51   Re: AlliedModders post @mention?

Hm, very good idea. Also users should get notified (Not in email) when someone replies to his/her post.
eliteroyal
AlliedModders Donor
Old 04-02-2020 , 05:00   Re: AlliedModders post @mention?

Every forum has that features because it is very useful, it's strange why it is not here.
SourceMod Moderator
Old 04-02-2020 , 05:34   Re: AlliedModders post @mention?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazY. View Post
Hello, would be good if user were notified when someone mention (@"nickname") his name in a post. What do you think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by thEsp View Post
Hm, very good idea. Also users should get notified (Not in email) when someone replies to his/her post.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliteroyal View Post
Every forum has that features because it is very useful,
It isn't really useful at all, but more the opposite!

If the user wants to read your message, (s)he will do so regardless of your @mention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliteroyal View Post
it's strange why it is not here.
Not really, -

It opens up the quite a bit of motivation for users to violate for example the bumping rules, together with spamming with the poke/mention system to cause someone else's attention more quickly, which would also be extremely rude from your (or anyone else's) side to do.

People are already per default being subscribed to the threads they make (or post in), so there is no reasons for the @mention crap.

So no, just no. You hereby have my personal vote against it (and for any other kind of insane thing that can easily get out of control like this one).

Dropbox FastDL: Public folder will no longer work after March 15, 2017!
For more info, see the [SRCDS Thread], or the [HLDS Thread].
thEsp
BANNED
Old 04-02-2020 , 07:38   Re: AlliedModders post @mention?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkDeviL View Post
It isn't really useful at all, but more the oppositeIf the user wants to read your message, (s)he will do so regardless of your @mention.
Wrong. Post @mention is supposed to notify people, not to force them to read your message. Sometimes forums are more active and your threads can easily be buried. Personally speaking, in those cases I mark the forum as read.

Quote:
Not really, -

It opens up the quite a bit of motivation for users to violate for example the bumping rules, together with spamming with the poke/mention system to cause someone else's attention more quickly, which would also be extremely rude from your (or anyone else's) side to do.
Not really, either -

AlliedModders has always had problems with people making unexpected bumps. In fact this applies to most online forums. I can't even think of any online community that has a notification system but doesn't feature toggles for it. Basically, add an option for people to snooze a certain person or simply disable notifications. Think of Facebook or Youtube for example.

Quote:
People are already per default being subscribed to the threads they make (or post in), so there is no reasons for the @mention crap.
Seems I have to create another email just for this reason... I'm sorry, but what? Who the heck does check emails these days? Most average people don't bother about reading their feed. Nowadays email get easily flood. Wake up please, we are in 2020.

This forum should be improved, not impaired, and believe me, there are many aspects it could easily be improved.
HamletEagle
AMX Mod X Plugin Approver
Old 04-02-2020 , 08:11   Re: AlliedModders post @mention?

I am not against adding "modern features", but I am against this one. I don't want 20 notifications a day from every topic in suggestions/requests or scripting help.
People already spam my pms demanding help. That's enough.
And no, muting every single person that does that is not a solution, more like a waste of time.

Last edited by HamletEagle; 04-02-2020 at 08:12.
DarkDeviL
SourceMod Moderator
Old 04-02-2020 , 08:42   Re: AlliedModders post @mention?

Quote:
Post @mention is supposed to notify people, not to force them to read your message.
In your case, they are definitely meant to bump it all the way to the "people".

Quote:
Sometimes forums are more active and your threads can easily be buried. Personally speaking, in those cases I mark the forum as read.
It is not any forum administrator's/dev team's job to (attempt to) cure your laziness at all.

Quote:
AlliedModders has always had problems with people making unexpected bumps.
And opening up the forum for more shit, allowing any user to spam you all the way to hell, no, just no.

Quote:
I can't even think of any online community that has a notification system but doesn't feature toggles for it. Basically, add an option for people to snooze a certain person or simply disable notifications. Think of Facebook or Youtube for example.
The time it takes to implement it (especially, in a 'somewhat' sane way) would not be worth the effort.

Time are better spent on other, more important things, like what the background of the forums are for, such as for example caring about AMX Mod X and SourceMod.

If you want Facebook or YouTube, feel free to go there.

Quote:
Seems I have to create another email just for this reason...
ANOTHER EMAIL? The email address on your account is being used.

Quote:
I'm sorry, but what? Who the heck does check emails these days? Most average people don't bother about reading their feed.
Again, your laziness - your problem.

Quote:
Wake up please, we are in 2020.
Correct, you should wake up and see that we are in 2020.

Do something, if you want something.

Quote:
This forum should be improved, not impaired, and believe me, there are many aspects it could easily be improved.
Indeed, EVERYTHING should be improved whenever it is possible to do so.

Implementing @mention's does not qualify as an improvement at all.

But trying to improve the forum alone in order to cure your:
  • laziness
  • stupidity
  • unwillingness to read, open your eyes, et cetera.
    • ... you name it

is simply a waste of time, and and endless game, for anyone but yourself to do.

If you got something real that would actually improve the forum (and not open it up to even more abuse), sure, let's look at it then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamletEagle View Post
I am not against adding "modern features", but I am against this one. I don't want 20 notifications a day from every topic in suggestions/requests or scripting help.
People already spam my pms demanding help. That's enough.
And no, muting every single person that does that is not a solution, more like a waste of time.
Exactly!

thEsp
BANNED
Old 04-02-2020 , 10:23   Re: AlliedModders post @mention?

Wow, a crazy-rude reply! To be really fair honest, I expected that from you and it happened...

Okay, time to sort it out:

Quote:
In your case, they are definitely meant to bump it all the way to the "people".
I agree but I don't that much. Feel free to use "Report" button if someone is abusing rules or harassing you.

Quote:
It is not any forum administrator's/dev team's job to (attempt to) cure your laziness at all.
Reminds me of Bob Marley's "I smoke two joints" song where he says "first take care of head"... Working smarter ain't laziness at all.

Quote:
And opening up the forum for more shit, allowing any user to spam you all the way to hell, no, just no.
I didn't get your point here, but if you are criticizing spammers, good job honsetly!

Quote:
The time it takes to implement it (especially, in a 'somewhat' sane way) would not be worth the effort.

Time are better spent on other, more important things, like what the background of the forums are for, such as for example caring about AMX Mod X and SourceMod.
Yes, I am definitely not saying this implementation would be easy, nor that AMXX/SM should be ignored. But if you have time, please, just please, don't ignore it. After all one member of this forum started this thread.

Quote:
If you want Facebook or YouTube, feel free to go there.
100% exactly the argument I expected.. Did you read "for example" there at the end of my reply though?

Quote:
ANOTHER EMAIL? The email address on your account is being used.
Indeed it is. I said another (UNUSED) email because in 2020 we have quite a shit-pile of "spam" emails. What is the standard, 100 per day, or even more?

Quote:
Again, your laziness - your problem.
Absolutely not a good counter-argument. But if you didn't understand my 2nd quote above, then my point is: read mentions/replies HERE instead of searching your email for a certain message, which is not EASY, as I said above.

Quote:
If you got something real that would actually improve the forum (and not open it up to even more abuse), sure, let's look at it then.
How beautiful truly! Don't you as well hate it when people ignore something useful? I many times suggested an idea how to prevent spam[bots] through my reports and replies. If you'd at least reply to me "fuck the hell off", I would be satisfied for having a (negative) response. Replying back is another thing...

I hope you can comprehend that this is just an off-topic discussion AND you will not send me a warning for arguing with you. After all, I am not trying to impair the holy AM community.

We may sort this drama through PM. Till then, have a good day mister. - thEsp with love & honesty.
DarkDeviL
SourceMod Moderator
Old 04-02-2020 , 13:58   Re: AlliedModders post @mention?

Quote:
Wow, a crazy-rude reply!
A satisfying lie is always accepted more nicely than the awful truth.

The message wasn't really rude, but simply explaining some of the GUARANTEED outcomes of it, if things went this way, and @mentions were being added.

Quote:
I agree but I don't that much.
Code:
hi @thEsp, u there?
@thEsp, plz help me?
is this something you can help with @thEsp?
bump @thEsp
please reply to me @thEsp
Mmmmmmh, lovely distractions, if you really insist?

Quote:
Reminds me of Bob Marley's "I smoke two joints" song where he says "first take care of head"... Working smarter ain't laziness at all.
It won't ever qualify as "working smarter", when you also end up on missing all the stuff you call "useful" by doing it.

Quote:
How beautiful truly! Don't you as well hate it when people ignore something useful?
My message won't ever be useful to you, when your decision is to ignore it / filter it away.

Quote:
I hope you can comprehend that this is just an off-topic discussion
Things related to a suggested feature isn't off-topic, when it has relevance to the suggested feature.

Quote:
After all, I am not trying to impair the holy AM community.
Never said you were, or that you had negative intentions with it, -

But this kind of feature will definitely affect the community negatively, causing much more useless noise and distraction, than it will do any good.

Quote:
I didn't get your point here, but if you are criticizing spammers, good job honsetly!
A picture says more than a thousand words.

So how about 4? Something like this, maybe "no one who's online today?", this kind of shit too, or when you're looking for hot gamers among the crowd.

(Hint: although you do have more control now regarding the pictures, you haven't always - it was either all or none).

asherkin
SourceMod Developer
Old 04-02-2020 , 18:47   Re: AlliedModders post @mention?

The vBulletin version we use does not support this functionality.