Solved Detour the same function twice

Post New Thread Reply   

kadet.89
Veteran Member
Old 02-04-2020 , 15:09   Detour the same function twice
Reply With Quote #1

I have 2 extensions with detours for CreateEntityByName function:
PHP Code:
DETOUR_DECL_STATIC3(CreateEntityByNameDetourCBaseEntity *, const char *, classNameintiForceEdictIndexboolflag)
{
    return 
DETOUR_STATIC_CALL(CreateEntityByNameDetour)(classNameiForceEdictIndexflag);
}

detourPtr DETOUR_CREATE_STATIC(CreateEntityByNameDetour"CreateEntityByName"); 
The problem is that only one of the extensions can hook the function successfully - the first one. For the second one detourPtr is always nullptr.

Apparentelly the signature changes and I can't know a new one. Is there a way to bypass the limitation?

Last edited by kadet.89; 02-08-2020 at 03:06.
Send a message via Skype™ to kadet.89
Fyren
FyrenFyrenFyrenFyrenFyren FyrenFyrenFyrenFyrenFyren FyrenFyrenFyrenFyrenFyren FyrenFyrenFyrenFyrenFyren
Old 02-05-2020 , 16:55   Re: Detour the same function twice
Reply With Quote #2

Detouring involves rewriting the instructions at the beginning of a function so it runs the detour instead. CDetour doesn't have a singleton/global manager to deal with two detours at the same spot, so you'll have to deal with it yourself with only one detour.
asherkin
SourceMod Developer
Old 02-05-2020 , 19:17   Re: Detour the same function twice
Reply With Quote #3

You can wildcard the first 8 (I think) bytes of the signature (but make sure it still matches what you expect) to account for the patched bytes from the previous detour.
Old 02-06-2020 , 05:14   Re: Detour the same function twice
Reply With Quote #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by asherkin View Post
You can wildcard the first 8 (I think) bytes of the signature (but make sure it still matches what you expect) to account for the patched bytes from the previous detour.
That's an interesting idea. Not sure though that it will always work properly. Correct me If I' wrong with my understanding. Lets assume the function signature is ABC, where A is to be replaced by a jump.
When the first extension is loaded the signature looks this way XBC
When the second extension is loaded, the signature looks YBC. When the function is called, the chain looks this way:

Y -> 2nd extension detour -> X - > 1st extension detour -> A -> back to the original function.

Now if the 1-st extension is unloaded, YBC is changed to ABC.
When the second extension is unloaded, ABC becomes XBC, which is not the original state and will likely lead to SIGFAULT/SIGSEGV

Loading: ABC->XBC->YBC
Unloading: YBC->ABC->XBC

Am I right?
How is it handled in virtual function hooking? the same virtual function can be hooked/unhooked many times without such problems.

Last edited by kadet.89; 02-06-2020 at 05:43.
Silvers
SourceMod Plugin Approver
Old 02-06-2020 , 07:03   Re: Detour the same function twice
Reply With Quote #5

Have done this several times. Only need to wildcard first 6 bytes. Suggest wildcard both signatures so load order isn't a factor. Unloading you raise a good point, but who really unloads extensions anyway?

Maybe alloc some memory to maintain a list of different detours and point to that. If any of the first 6 bytes don't match the original expected bytes then we have a ptr to list. Check the list for bytes which indicate a detour and have it call each one as required. Then you can safely remove the detoured addresses from the list. Something like that, don't know how possible, just an idea.

Last edited by Silvers; 02-06-2020 at 07:12.
asherkin
SourceMod Developer
Old 02-06-2020 , 08:40   Re: Detour the same function twice
Reply With Quote #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadet.89 View Post
Am I right?
Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadet.89 View Post
How is it handled in virtual function hooking? the same virtual function can be hooked/unhooked many times without such problems.
That is the primary reason for Metamod:Source existing - it has a centralised list of all virtual function hooks done using SourceHook and can manage the inter-dependencies between plugins.
Old 02-06-2020 , 10:13   Re: Detour the same function twice
Reply With Quote #7

Is there a way to have shared memory between several extensions?
The only solution that comes on my mind is a separate extension with shared detour handling, a bit ugly solution...
asherkin
SourceMod Developer
Old 02-06-2020 , 11:42   Re: Detour the same function twice
Reply With Quote #8

It belongs as part of MM:S, there's just never been a decent library for it (or really a need, detouring was fairly uncommon until quite recently) - Ayuto's DynamicHooks looks like it probably is library for it these days. Drifter has had a few attempts at adding it in the past.
Old 02-08-2020 , 03:05   Re: Detour the same function twice
Reply With Quote #9

My current solution, in case somebody faces the same problem.
I created an extension which handles all detours that I need, redirect the function calls through virtual functions to the original functions. In all the other extensions I get the detour manager extension interface and hook the virtual functions.